oneBoro Forum

Boro v Blackburn Rovers 1-1 (Coulson)

Seriously, that save from Walton from Gestede's header, absolutely top class goalkeeping. The speed at which he reacts to the header is outstanding, one of, if not the best save I've seen at the Riverside this season.

• Like 3
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BORO v BLACKBURN ROVERS! So .. Are you ready for a song?  I'll do that next time 😛  Blackburn Rovers visit the Riverside this Saturday at 3.00 PM.  The visitors are without Bradley Dack bu

I think Rudy did well .. Might be an unpopular opinion, but to bring himself in position for those chances is good work on it's own.  With more game time he will be more sharp. With him on the pitch

Goal scoring machine Marcus Browne has scored 2 for Oxford this afternoon

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Seriously, that save from Walton from Gestede's header, absolutely top class goalkeeping. The speed at which he reacts to the header is outstanding, one of, if not the best save I've seen at the Riverside this season.

Exactly mate. And i can't even criticise Rudy on that. There was not much more he could have done there. 

• Like 1

That back post header from Rudy reminded me of that miss he had away to Swansea during our relegation battle. Just has to score..

I thought we deserved to win..same old Boro can't put the ball in the net and it costs us.

1 minute ago, mendieta420 said:

That back post header from Rudy reminded me of that miss he had away to Swansea during our relegation battle. Just has to score..

My mate said the same thing. I'm not so sure it was that simple, he looked like he was stretching a fair bit to get to it but will have to see it again.

I think Rudy did well .. Might be an unpopular opinion, but to bring himself in position for those chances is good work on it's own. 
With more game time he will be more sharp. With him on the pitch getting in those positions, it will create more space for our other players. 

If their keeper didn't make that super save, Rudy has the match winning goal .. and then no one would bat an eye, that he missed a sitter few minutes later .. 

3rd one was not that big of a chance.

• Like 5
50 minutes ago, SmogDane said:

I think Rudy did well .. Might be an unpopular opinion, but to bring himself in position for those chances is good work on it's own. 
With more game time he will be more sharp. With him on the pitch getting in those positions, it will create more space for our other players. 

If their keeper didn't make that super save, Rudy has the match winning goal .. and then no one would bat an eye, that he missed a sitter few minutes later .. 

3rd one was not that big of a chance.

I think Rudy has done well too since coming back into the fold recently.

He's a nice option to have, to try something different and cause problems throwing such a big unit on there late in the game, which does create space for other players.

He's a massive drain on resources though just to do that. It's not his fault I guess that we signed him during a PL season and his wages are so beefy now for his output, given his long he injuries aswell.

• Like 2

I really don't understand why Woodgate didn't make the Coulson change at half time Johnson was getting done time and time again when Blackburn came down the right, I was surprised we went in at half time level. Before Coulson came on I thought our biggest threat was when Johnny Howson ventured  forward. The midfield over all was garbage, Tav and Wing in particular were crap, lost far too many balls and the passing below par, and we didn't win enough 2nd balls either. I don't know why Johnson feels the need to control the ball instead of just taking it in his stride, or perhaps I do, its called lack of quality.  

I would really love to know what we do in training because we must be the worst team in the football league on set pieces, we very rare if at all hit the target from a free kick in a dangerous position, the vast majority of headers from corners and free kicks ( that's if we manage to beat the 1st man) are won by the opposition with very little threat, . On the occasions when we do beat the opposition fullbacks down the flanks our choice of final ball is either under or over hit its absolutely shocking. Is it any wonder that we've only scored 30 goals, not to mention strikers who seem to be champion league when it comes to missing sitters.

Having reflected on the game for a day, I think that for a side that is nowhere near full strength, we did OK ...we restricted a side that won their last away game against a team then hovering near the play-off spots by five goals, to a couple of chances that were on target and Pears was a spectator for most of the game. We had about 60% possession, which is significantly more than in most games and according to the BBC, had three times as many shots on goal and on target more than Blackburn..I know that there were a lot of things I could have a moan about but for every minus there was a plus, both Coulson and Rudy made a difference, Fletch is beginning to use his strength to win and keep the ball consistently, Fry looks to be getting the confidence to move out of defence with the ball more often and although a couple of players did not meet their usual standard, that happens. We went to sleep once and paid for it and we had the resolve to fight back and but for one of the best saves I have seen this season, could have won...maybe rose tinted glasses but when I compare it with the same game last year, I can honestly say I enjoyed this game much more   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea how some can say Gestede did well after coming on. For someone who is supposed to be a threat in the air he is completely useless. I appriciate that the first was a very good save from their keeper but the last is abolutely criminal. He can see the ball all the way and is almost unchallenged yet he can even get a proper header on target. Bloody useless. The sooner he is gone the better. Hope with Britt back we will see less of him as he is just not good enough for Championship football. The amount of injuries he's had has just put him so far behind that he isn't really of any use to us. He's big and a presence in the area but the ball just bounces of his head like he has no idea how he should connect with the ball.

12 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I have no idea how some can say Gestede did well after coming on. For someone who is supposed to be a threat in the air he is completely useless. I appriciate that the first was a very good save from their keeper but the last is abolutely criminal. He can see the ball all the way and is almost unchallenged yet he can even get a proper header on target. Bloody useless. The sooner he is gone the better. Hope with Britt back we will see less of him as he is just not good enough for Championship football. The amount of injuries he's had has just put him so far behind that he isn't really of any use to us. He's big and a presence in the area but the ball just bounces of his head like he has no idea how he should connect with the ball.

Just saying that literally no other striker on our books would have even got in the position to win those headers or come anywhere near as close to scoring as he did from them.

I do think, watching the one at the far post back again, he should probably score. But his influence after coming onto the pitch is pretty unquestionable. He had 3 chances and barring one absolutely top class save from their keeper, he would have won the game for us.

The fact you're saying with Britt back we'll hopefully see less of him is even better. Britt came on just after the hour mark and didn't affect the game at all. Gestede was on the pitch less than 10 minutes including injury time and he had 3 chances to win the game and again, 1 save away from actually doing so.

I know people have fun taking the *** out of Gestede but at the very least I'd expect people to give him credit where its due. He is a very limited footballer but him and Coulson changed the game for us and gave us 2 very real concerning threats for Blackburn which they couldn't get a handle on. One missed chance does not turn Gestede's overall contribution into a travesty.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Just saying that literally no other striker on our books would have even got in the position to win those headers or come anywhere near as close to scoring as he did from them.

I do think, watching the one at the far post back again, he should probably score. But his influence after coming onto the pitch is pretty unquestionable. He had 3 chances and barring one absolutely top class save from their keeper, he would have won the game for us.

The fact you're saying with Britt back we'll hopefully see less of him is even better. Britt came on just after the hour mark and didn't affect the game at all. Gestede was on the pitch less than 10 minutes including injury time and he had 3 chances to win the game and again, 1 save away from actually doing so.

I know people have fun taking the *** out of Gestede but at the very least I'd expect people to give him credit where its due. He is a very limited footballer but him and Coulson changed the game for us and gave us 2 very real concerning threats for Blackburn which they couldn't get a handle on. One missed chance does not turn Gestede's overall contribution into a travesty.

That's the problem isn't it. He gets into those positions due to his size and strength but it's of no use because he is epically poor at heading a ball. You just know that when the ball is put into the box Gestede will be in the mix but nothing will come from it. It's like he is till learning how to head a ball. I'm not taking the *** out of him here but I really don't think he deserves much credit. For a man of his size he should be getting into positions like that, but being a professional footballer he should be much better at heading a ball, when he hasn't got much else going for him. His wages are irrelevant here, and I'm only judging him by what he offers - and I think that is nothing.

4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

That's the problem isn't it. He gets into those positions due to his size and strength but it's of no use because he is epically poor at heading a ball. You just know that when the ball is put into the box Gestede will be in the mix but nothing will come from it. It's like he is till learning how to head a ball. I'm not taking the *** out of him here but I really don't think he deserves much credit. For a man of his size he should be getting into positions like that, but being a professional footballer he should be much better at heading a ball, when he hasn't got much else going for him. His wages are irrelevant here, and I'm only judging him by what he offers - and I think that is nothing.

But he literally did offer something, something the team was missing in the game and something that we're talking about one top class save from him getting the winning goal, compared to the favoured Britt Assombalonga who did nothing in 30-40 minutes. If the keeper doesn't make that save, Gestede scores the winning goal regardless of the miss that comes after. How is that offering nothing in this game? The chance the keeper saves, he gets his run spot on, his header is spot on, the pace and power of it is about as good as you can expect and the keeper pulls off a tremendous save and apparently Gestede did nothing?

I genuinely can't believe when we're talking about strikers in this game that the one getting flak is Gestede and I'm willing to bet if the one Walton saved does go in, it's the difference between flak and appreciation.

• Like 3

I think Gestede needs to play with his back to goal and a Britt or Nmecha playing off him - I can't remember which game it was where we started playing high balls in to Gestede for the knockdown - it'd be like a poor man's Alan Smith and Ian Wright! The classic front two. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BelgianBoro said:

I think Gestede needs to play with his back to goal and a Britt or Nmecha playing off him - I can't remember which game it was where we started playing high balls in to Gestede for the knockdown - it'd be like a poor man's Alan Smith and Ian Wright! The classic front two. 

You're right, I think. Dare I say, Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips. Or even Rudy Gestede and Jordan Rhodes!

Clearly from his time with Rhodes, he has shown that he likes to work as a team up front. There was a game recently where he did really well with Fletcher, my memory fails me though. I think it was Spurs at home 🤔

• Like 2