oneBoro Forum

Boro v Brentford (a) 2-3 (Wing, Fletcher)

I reckon on:

Pears

Howson  Fry  Moukoudi  Coulson

McNair

Spence       Wing           Morrison

Fletcher    Assombalonga

Subs: Stojanovic, Tavernier, Saville, Wood, Nmecha, Gestede

• Like 1
  • Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BRENTFORD v MIDDLESBROUGH.  Introduction The transfer window is done and dusted, with 5 incomings during January and only 1 major departure. In a shock turn of events most Boro fans actually

Thought you were unlucky not to get a point out of the game and fair play you came to have a go and win.We have had plenty of sides who have just shut up shop and time waste so it was good to have an

Really thought I had a chance to watch Quest tonight, in fact it is becoming a quest to watch Quest

Posted Images

Brentford have lost as many games as we have, yet, we are just above the water line while they are buoyant. The difference being we fail to grasp the opportunity  and covert draws into wins and I still believe we have a, let’s not get beat attitude,  rather than, let’s go out and win this. We are more reactive than proactive as can be seen once we go a goal or so behind. 
The transfer window was positive and Woodgate now needs to show he has learnt lessons and that has to be shown statistically. No more excuses, no more words. 

• Like 1

Indeed, if we were to portray ourselves in any way as serious contenders for the top 6, the games at Fulham and this one we should have looked to make a bigger impact upon. We'll see how this one goes but for sure, Brentford are scoring for fun at home and we aren't doing a great job of keeping the goals out. They've scored 3 or more in almost half of their last 12 games including thrashing Hull and Luton 5-1 and 7-0 respectively.

My fear of the drop as eased a little but we are still in a precarious position.

Brentford's great form suggests this may be a one way traffic game but its also the kind of game that Boro normally pick points up from. I just have a sneaky feeling that we may grab 3 points from this one.

No way am I predicting who will be playing or what position they will be playing in. Not a Woodgate lover and as we have all seen this season he could play strikers at the back defenders (if any) in midfield and midfielders in attack. perhaps that is the secret to how he is grabbing points no bugger knows how we will be playing.

Roberts I have only seen play once on the right wing so if he's fit perhaps Woodgate will put him in goal this game.

I will go out on a limb and say     1-2 and say a prayer that I am right we badly need these points.

• Like 1
On 2/2/2020 at 8:57 AM, BearSmog said:

Will we see Moukoudi and Morrison for this fixture? 

If Brentford's front three is a 'BMW', what car best describes our attackers?

How much do we miss Patrick Roberts? 

How would you line up for this match? Back 4? Or 3 with wing backs? 

I'd like to see Moukoudi and Morrison thrown in, to give them game time and hopefully start integrating them into the team for the three more significant games following Brentford (which is pretty much a free hit, given our situation with injuries and new signings).

Our front three is an old Fiat. A bit rusty, slow and unresponsive, with a really frustrating habit of letting you down at critical moments. (My childhood was spent in the back of Stradas and Regatas wondering what a clutch cable was, and how we were supposed to drive home stuck in third gear).

A lot. Like, a really lot. It's increasingly rare to see a genuinely classy player playing for us, and from what I've seen so far, he has that spark of pure creativity that made people love the little fella and (to a lesser extent) Traore. And Gaston, before he turned into a total bell-end. I still think his goal against Bournemouth was the greatest Boro goal I've ever seen.

Call me old school, but there's something very reassuring about a back four. I don't think you get the same defensive solidity from three at the back and wingbacks. For me, Liverpool are the epitome of the  successful back-four philosophy, though Aitor made it look pretty effective, too. I think 4-1-3-2 is the optimal formation in the Championship, but Woody seems to have a lucky-dip attitude to formations and lineups, so predicting what he goes with is about as easy as making cats eat trifle through a straw. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, BelgianBoro said:

I reckon on:

Pears

Howson  Fry  Moukoudi  Coulson

McNair

Spence       Wing           Morrison

Fletcher    Assombalonga

Subs: Stojanovic, Tavernier, Saville, Wood, Nmecha, Gestede

I think we will see Ravel more central. Either as a 2 just behind main striker or as a no.10 behind main striker. Albeit i dont think he starts this weekend.

Brentford away probably be one game where i persist with the 3.4.3 formation to keep it tight early on. Then after that would like to see 4.3.3.

Brentford do like to knock it about. I am not a fan of the space we give teams and the very loose marking we employ. To me inviting teams on to you and relying on mistakes for breakdown of opposition‘a passes is fraught with danger. We do need to be a lot tighter on Saturday or we could get a hiding!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Motor Mouth said:

No way am I predicting who will be playing or what position they will be playing in. Not a Woodgate lover and as we have all seen this season he could play strikers at the back defenders (if any) in midfield and midfielders in attack. perhaps that is the secret to how he is grabbing points no bugger knows how we will be playing.

Roberts I have only seen play once on the right wing so if he's fit perhaps Woodgate will put him in goal this game.

You can critizise Woodgate for a lot of things, and I have done that too over the season, but I don't think you can lay into him for throwing people around in positions they are not used to. I appreciate the fact that he has played McNair and Howson on defence, but due to injuries his hands have been a bit tied there. Not much he could have done other than throwing a very young Wood in there (which he ended up doing when our final defender got injured). Apart from that I think he is trying to play players in position where they are best. Tav has been moved more centrally with a license to move forward, Saville and Wing as box-to-box and then Fletcher centrally. Spence and Coulson have been employed as wingbacks which is probably their best positions due to their speed and lack of defensive experience. He is in no way like Pulis putting players in weird postitions.

I'd like us to move back to 4 at the back now that we have Fry and Moukoudi and then try and teach Coulson and Spence to play traditional full backs with a bit more emphasis on defensive responsibilities. I reckon Spence could do with a bit more limited responsibility. Think he's looked a bit lost in recent games as there is an awful lot of expectation on his inexperienced shoulders. Get Howson and McNair into midfield too along Wing and Tav and play a diamond with McNair or Howson as the deep lying midfielder and then two strikers up top.

• Like 4
On 2/2/2020 at 3:48 PM, SmogDane said:

I have a good feeling bout this one... We might get something! 

rave GIF

Could end up being more like this...

image.png.b606cf0a1299ef065df62be557f55b45.png

(if you're familiar with the term "seal clubbing")

Personally I’d stick with the back 3 and wingbacks for this game since it’s going to be a tough game 

Pears

howson fry moukoudi 

spence                  Coulson

mcnair Saville wing

Morrison

Fletcher 

Edited by Boromadman
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Boromadman said:

Personally I’d stick with the back 3 and wingbacks for this game since it’s going to be a tough game 

Pears

howson fry moukoudi 

spence                  Coulson

mcnair Saville wing

Morrison

Fletcher 

I quite like that team, my only concern is that against a 3 pronged Brentford front line, our wing backs will have to stay back and help. We won't risk leaving ourselves 3-vs-3. But for games against a 2 or 1 man strike force, I think it will work well.