oneBoro Forum

Boro v Wigan (A) 2-2 (Wing 2)

njGCHe7.png

Boro will be hitting the road once again, in search of their first win since their 2-0 victory at Preston on New Year's Day...blimey that seems a long time ago now!

A spirited, though ultimately fruitless, display against high-flying Brentford should give the visitors grounds for optimism and 3 points is a must after a run of results that has seen the club start to drop back down the table. Is it just me or is that 7-point cushion suddenly looking a lot less comfortable?

LAST TIME OUT

Brentford 3 - 2 Boro:

A game of what ifs and if onlys. Having calmed down now, I'm willing to concede the hosts may have deserved the win, having been generally the better team. But its still just a bit annoying, knowing we ought to have at least got a share of the spoils...and even came close to winning.

Wigan 1 - 2 Preston:

The hosts lost a home to top-6 Preston, going 2-0 down, before pulling one back, with over half an hour to play. By all accounts a pretty flat performance.

FORM GUIDE

libXBbp.png

While the hosts have been considerably poorer over the season, they can at least boast a couple of recent wins, beating Sheffield Wednesday at home and pulling off a real upset with a 1-0 win at Leeds. So they do have it in them...they just don't show it very often. Chief goal threats are defender Chey Dunkley and midfielder Josh Windass (and we think our strikers are crap!)

After a brilliant December, Boro succumbed to the New Year blues and have endured a fairly torrid run of results, not helped by having to play Spurs twice in the FA Cup. 3 points here could spark a run to the dizzy heights of upper-mid table respectability.

VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE

Almost nothing to speak of. Only found 1 forum that even has a matchday thread up...and there's not much action on that. Unsurprisingly most of the chat is concerned with their survival.

http://www.cockneylatic.co.uk/forum/5-cockney-latic-main-forum/118195-middlesbrough

https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/forums/latics-speyk.76/

QUESTIONS

- Can Boro finally end their dismal run and revive the form and results from the end of last year?

- Who impressed most from the Brentford game (and does Moukoudi look a good acquisition)?

- Should Morrison start (given this ought to be an easier fixture)?

- Preferred starting XI & formation?

- Just how rubbish is Gestede?

PREDICTION

The Red Feather predicts the mighty Boro will emerge victorious...but as usual won't make it easy for themselves. I see us going 2-0 up, but a defensive lapse allows Wigan to pull one back late on for a nervy finish. Prediction: Wigan 1 - 2 Boro.

• Like 10
  • Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boro will be hitting the road once again, in search of their first win since their 2-0 victory at Preston on New Year's Day...blimey that seems a long time ago now! A spirited, though ultimately

We'd hopefully appoint a decent manager or head coach with the ability to succeed here I suppose.  I don't think Woodgate has demonstrated even slightly that he is that person and that's with people s

We were a mess yesterday, the players looked clueless and that is absolutely down to the manager in my opinion.  If you change your system and the players don't know what they are supposed to be doing

Posted Images

Yes, we will win this one.

Saville, Howson, Fletcher and Moukoudi were great v brentford. (happy now brunners? 😛 ) Moukoudi looks a class signing, loan only onfortunatly.

Morrison should come on in the 2nd half

Same as last time out

Gestede is not as rubbish as everybody thinks .. He is a good plan B and brings some precense  in the box.. Deffo not a starter, though ... And never a lone striker. 

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

QUESTIONS

- Can Boro finally end their dismal run and revive the form and results from the end of last year?

- Who impressed most from the Brentford game (and does Moukoudi look a good acquisition)?

- Should Morrison start (given this ought to be an easier fixture)?

- Preferred starting XI & formation?

- Just how rubbish is Gestede?

1. Yes, we can get back on track, but only with a bold and attacking formation and tactics. Too often we start timidly and only start competing for three points in the second half after substitutions. Some of our players aren't performing to their usual standards at present, and now we have greater strength in depth from loans and returnees, there's no reason for underperformers like Tav and Wing to retain their starting places.

2. Moukoudi looks good but needs time to get up to speed. Otherwise, not sure anyone deserves particular praise, though Wing improved a weak display with another special.

3. I don't see the point of making a half-season loan signing if we don't give them a good run of games to ascertain what (if anything) they can bring to the team? Morrison has played everywhere apart from Outer Mongolia in recent seasons, so I'd like to see what he can do back on home soil. He might - might - be ready to tear the Championship a new one after years of frustration and suitcases.

4. Formation: 4-1-3-2 with Britt and Fletcher up front, Saville holding, Morrison in for Wing and Johnson nowhere near the starting XI. It's Wigan. No need for five at the back or a lone striker in a different postcode.

5. Pound for pound, Gestede is our worst signing ever. For a player whose height is his only perceived advantage, he's utterly crap at heading. It's like he's wearing a neck brace and steel toe caps. If I threw my cat in the air as a corner came in, she'd probably demonstrate better ball control. And her weekly wages would be a packet of Dreamies and a few Sheba sachets, which should help us meet FFP.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1. I hope so. I do see it as a difficult game though. 

2. Moukoudi seems to have settled in well. I have no hope we will sign him in summer mind. He played 15 games for St Etienne until Jan and lost his place to Saliba. Who is joining Arsenal for £30m in summer. I think he has a future at St Etienne and even if he dont i feel his fee would be north of £6m so out of our price range.

3. I would start him on bench but i think Luton at home he should start. I would play 3.1.4.2 v Wigan but a 4.3.3 v Luton.

4. i would go with a 3.1.4.2. I know people think playing with 3 at the back just stinks of negativity but for me, especially away from home, it allows us to attack in numbers better when there 3 at the back as full backs can then really push on.

Pears

Howson Moukoudi Fry

Sav

Spence Paddy Wing Couslon

Britt Fletch

5. Please see @SmogDane answer regarding Rudy. He sums it up perfectly. Ultimately his signing has not worked out but i think he a good option to have when you need a goal and want to lump it forward and cause chaos in opposition box in hope ball falls for one of our players. All said and done though, he needs to leave in summer. I would like us to bring a target man in to compliment other strikers and to give us that plan B off the bench. Nmehca could be that guy if all goes well as he a big lad and is himself 6ft plus i think

• Like 2

We need to win on Tuesday. It's a huge game for both teams.'Arold looks a winmer to me. I'd love to see Morrison start. I also wonder if the new GK may get a game. Surely he will be on the bench at least soon.

Pears

Spence Harold Fry Coulson

Howson Clayton 

Morrison 

Nmecha Britt Fletcher

Not sure how to layout the team but I'd go with those players. A strong spine and some pace on the break.

Other than one good game at Preston Rudy really has done nothing. He tries but there really is nothing there.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, edinboro said:

We need to win on Tuesday. It's a huge game for both teams.'Arold looks a winmer to me. I'd love to see Morrison start. I also wonder if the new GK may get a game. Surely he will be on the bench at least soon.

Pears

Spence Harold Fry Coulson

Howson Clayton 

Morrison 

Nmecha Britt Fletcher

Not sure how to layout the team but I'd go with those players. A strong spine and some pace on the break.

Other than one good game at Preston Rudy really has done nothing. He tries but there really is nothing there.

I dont see new GK getting a game as there no justification for him to get a game yet imo. Pears has done nothing wrong to date.

I also do not see Woody dropping Paddy, Wing, Tav and Saville all in one swoop. He might take 1 or 2 out the side but i dont see all 4 going out in one go.

• Like 1

Pears

Spence Howson Moukoudi Fry Coulson

Saville McNair

Morrison

Fletcher Assombalonga

It's a must not lose game, or the relegation battle is well and truly back on. A win would settle a hell of a lot of nerves though.

• Like 2

When I think about it .. We have two sublime wingbacks .. Let's use them!

Pears 

Howson, Moukoudi, Fry

Spence     Saville, McNair,    Coulson

Wing
           Fletcher,          Britt

9 hours ago, SmogDane said:

When I think about it .. We have two sublime wingbacks .. Let's use them!

Pears 

Howson, Moukoudi, Fry

Spence     Saville, McNair,    Coulson

Wing
           Fletcher,          Britt

Good idea but the flaw is that both are very young and lack consistency .

I would  try 4-4-2 and probably bring them both on in the latter stages and use that  formation when the oppositions defenders are waning their speed could be a game changer but not one at a time both together and the oppo's defenders won't have time to adjust and will wonder wtf is hitting them. 

Just a thought.

• Like 1

We always seem to have close games at their place last time out a 0-0 so do not expect a feast of goals.

Certainly a "must not lose" game but it has been a while since we have had a win and for me this is the place to start.

Being shown on the rbf I believe

• Like 2

Nice of Sky to honour us with Red Button coverage, having ignored us quite a few times during recent midweek matches. The entertainment value will depend on whether Woody approaches this as a game we can win, or sets us up to not lose in the first half. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Nice of Sky to honour us with Red Button coverage, having ignored us quite a few times during recent midweek matches. The entertainment value will depend on whether Woody approaches this as a game we can win, or sets us up to not lose in the first half. 

Definitely - feel like I haven't seen us play a full 90 in for ages. 

Would people say we've playing badly last few games? Unlucky? Or just reverted to the mean after a freakish win streak? I'm finding it hard to judge off highlights and crappy facebook streams.