oneBoro Forum

Boro v Wigan (A) 2-2 (Wing 2)

Imagine spending the last 4 years buying central midfielders only for them all to be poo. Only the Boro could do such a feat. 

On a serious note I've really wanted us to go to 4 at the back. Mainly because I really want Spence and Coulson bedded into those positions long term. But I have to admit it doesn't suit our attacking players at all. 

I've probably been Savilles biggest critic but he was our best midfielder yesterday. I will say though he had the "easiest" job of the 3 and tons of space with which to do something with the ball. God knows whats happened to Mcnair and Wing, just shocking. 

I really really wish he'd stop putting fecking Tav as one of the front 3. Hes not good there, actually hes abysmal there. He was running the show as one of the 3 central midfielders, energy and a willingness to carry the ball plus although hes not quick, he is nippy enough to beat most central players. 

The less said about our forward players the better really. I really like Fletcher, but I do often wonder whether hes just not good enough to be playing in a decent championship team. There is times you think he might be kicking on but there is just always a niggle with him that mentally hes weak and it doesn't take much for him to fall back. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Boro will be hitting the road once again, in search of their first win since their 2-0 victory at Preston on New Year's Day...blimey that seems a long time ago now! A spirited, though ultimately

We'd hopefully appoint a decent manager or head coach with the ability to succeed here I suppose.  I don't think Woodgate has demonstrated even slightly that he is that person and that's with people s

We were a mess yesterday, the players looked clueless and that is absolutely down to the manager in my opinion.  If you change your system and the players don't know what they are supposed to be doing

Posted Images

I honestly think the idea of sacking Woodgate would cause an even bigger problem than having him in charge. It's built upon the hope that somebody better for us would come in (or every so often, it's not built upon the idea of what lies beyond at all).

Everyone knows who hires the manager, everyone knows that they hired Woodgate to begin with, and Pulis, Monk and Agnew before that.

The idea that getting rid of the manager is going to have any positive effect at all on this team is based on nothing but hope.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

I honestly think the idea of sacking Woodgate would cause an even bigger problem than having him in charge. It's built upon the hope that somebody better for us would come in (or every so often, it's not built upon the idea of what lies beyond at all).

Everyone knows who hires the manager, everyone knows that they hired Woodgate to begin with, and Pulis, Monk and Agnew before that.

The idea that getting rid of the manager is going to have any positive effect at all on this team is based on nothing but hope.

If we get rid of Woodgate then Gibson will probably give the job to someone like George Friend. So yeah I can see your point, I've go faith in the chairman.  

Stuart Webber, Norwich’s Sporting Director, has publicly said that he regularly monitors managerial options should a point come when a manager leaves or is sacked. I feel like Gibson has absolutely no forward planning like that. That’s why Gibson regularly messes up managerial appointments and why we struggle with change. We’re a shambles behind the scenes.

35 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Let's say we stay up, we probably have the biggest summer transfer window coming up and we need to get it right with regards to incomngs an outgoings I'm not accepting another season of this ***. 

The biggest positive about Woodgate is that it seems like he is acknowledging what we have all been saying for years. We need pace and creativity and players in wide positions. We need to strengthen the right areas. In the summer he brought in three players in wide positions (albeit not yet good enough) and this january we stepped up a bit and brought in Roberts, Nmecha, Moukoudi and a punt on Morrison who is supposed to be creative.

Come the summer a few high earning non performers will be gone and we can really start to mould the team better. If we can somehow extend the loan of Roberts we will already be on the right path.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Stuart Webber, Norwich’s Sporting Director, has publicly said that he regularly monitors managerial options should a point come when a manager leaves or is sacked. I feel like Gibson has absolutely no forward planning like that. That’s why Gibson regularly messes up managerial appointments and why we struggle with change. We’re a shambles behind the scenes.

That would rightly be the job of a Sporting Director who knows what football is. We don't have one so we are obviously not planning on having an updated shortlist of managerial prospects. We really need someone capable in a position like that.

13 hours ago, SmogDane said:

On the positive side .. 

Once again we have shown it's not game over, when the opposition scores first as it was under Pulis .. 

Wing is on Fire .. That's good, except when you are flying a plane 

We have 14 games to go where 8 of them are at home.

Yeah - but for Moukoudi's OG that would probably have been 3 points for us.

Then again, it speaks volumes about our defence and organisation in general, that he was in a position to head it right into his own net.

12 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I wouldn't be delighted if he was sacked at all. Where do we go from here if we were to be sacking Woodgate tomorrow? I know some don't like or care for him being in charge but I just don't see what positive is in sacking the manager right now.

Like, I could see the mental drain Pulis had on fans last season that really drove home why people wanted him gone. And you could feel the relief when it was finally confirmed. Yet regardless of the criticism that Woodgate has faced throughout this season, this does not feel like a point at which sacking the manager bears any positivity at all. I wouldn't see it as a potential for anything great to happen, I wouldn't see any light round the corner, we wouldn't be out pulling in a significantly better coach than him and honestly I can see things going even further backwards were we to make a change now.

He hasn't lost the dressing room by any account I've heard, they're all pulling in the same direction and it's not quite coming together as a unit. I'd rather that and the rookie in charge getting more time to work on his team than sack him off, upset the apple cart and potentially see us dropping even further down as a result.

12 hours ago, Changing Times said:

We'd hopefully appoint a decent manager or head coach with the ability to succeed here I suppose.  I don't think Woodgate has demonstrated even slightly that he is that person and that's with people seemingly determined to see positives in anything that happens here, whether it's down to him or not.  This squad isn't an 18th place in the Championship squad in my opinion so why are there and why can't is it so much of a struggle to get a decent game out of us?  I couldn't care less about the dressing room.  If what we're seeing now is a dressing room that's all pulling in the same direction then we're an even bigger shambles than it appears.  This is everyone all trying their hardest for the manager?  Christ, I can't even imagine how bad we'd be if that wasn't the case then.  Woodgate didn't deserve the job to begin with, he's done nothing to justify his appointment, so yeah I'd be more than happy for him to go tomorrow.  There is no reason to keep him other than he's already here.

Well thats the conundrum right there.

Woody has shown no signs of becoming a capable coach so far and there is still a very real possibility we could finish the season in the bottom three.

So, its understandable that plenty of folks (myself included) wouldn't shed any tears if he was handed his P45.

Problem is - who do we replace him with? What competent manager in their right mind would want to work at Boro? I don't think there are any obvious candidates. Gibson would essentially have to pull another rabbit out of the hat and find another Karanka - an unknown with coaching / managerial abilities right off the bat (more or less).

I would love for that to happen, but the trick is finding that person.

• Like 1

Giving the statistics of wins 8 and 13 draws I look at the situation this way. If we ONLY had a average manager with experience, I truly believe at least 1/3 of the draws could be wins resulting in 8 additional points. 

In my mind Woody is the weak link which is apparent in his selction,  line ups and game plan, or should I say, what game plan. I can't support arguments supporting a lack of quality players because he has partaking in selection so its basically his team. Woody has learnt nothing or can't implement solutions to our quite obvious weakness which others exploit. 

Woody is going no where soon but I don't believe we are going to be any better for his stay next season, in fact, I think we are quickly peddling backwards and we will soon be a club no respecting player sees a future. 

The positives I have seen which is encouraging, is the use of youth of which I encourage and support and hope it long continues. 

Genuine question everyone...

What would be your ideal starting 11?

I think this goes a long way as to why we are so inconsistent and have no style of play. 
I genuinely don’t know, on current form, Pears(?), Spence, Fry, Coulson, Howson, Saville, Fletch? 

The midfield is the biggest mismatch. Wing, Tav, McNair, Morrison... 

Then you don’t even know what formation to play with the players.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I think this goes a long way as to why we are so inconsistent and have no style of play. 
I genuinely don’t know, on current form, Pears(?), Spence, Fry, Coulson, Howson, Saville, Fletch? 

Answers on a postcard to Jonathan Woodgate, c/o Riverside Stadium... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I guess that's half the trouble with younger inexperience players. Midfield for example, Saville utter trash until recently, Mcnair best player until recently then utter trash, Wing utter trash most the season but pulls out worldies and gets us points. Tav utter trash played out of position further forward. Was our best player for 4 or 5 games in the middle. 

Who the feck knows what our best line up is. 

• Like 3
13 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I mean Woodgate got the job despite being whatever he is, what could possibly lead you to believe we'll hire someone significantly more capable than he is? Because that's surely what we need to have this squad performing at the level it should be this season. I imagine the most talented manager we have any hope of hiring right now is Aitor Karanka, make of that what you will.

I understand what you're saying here but I guess from my point of view there would be the hope that we would make a better appointment.  I don't believe that last summer was about finding the best man for the job.