oneBoro Forum

Relegation Battle

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

You should read that article (again, if necessary) and just take in what they did to the original club and some of the rule-bending they resorted to.

Call me old-fashioned / out of touch, but I wouldn't want that to happen to Boro.

Who...Red Bull? If so, I'd repeat the advice I gave DevKWat above.

Red Bull are no different to any other global mega-corporation. They're happy to bend rules and run rough-shod over anyone to get their way.

Just because they don't come from a country with a terrible human rights record, doesn't mean they aren't prepared to be utterly ruthless to get what they want.

I'd say its a case of, "Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it..."

Just to reiterate...I'm as keen as anyone to see Boro return to the golden era of the late 90s / early 00s. Just not at any price...

I’m saying my argument as to why a red bull take would be terrible is incredibly reasonable. We broadly agree

Edited by RealSlimSladeyy
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, first of all to address borodane referring to a ‘Middle Eastern despot’. I’m going to assume that’s a reference to Man City’s owners. They are morally repulsive, and if I was a Man City fa

Hope not considering your user name. 😬🤣🤣

Blackburn got relegated with 51 points the season we were in the Prem. 4 of the last 5 seasons, 42 points has been enough. Comparing both 16/17, 18/19 and this season after ~32 games, the bottom

Posted Images

I’m sure if there was a take over any new owner would invite the local population to there ground. Any thought that one investor is better than another Is like asking who would take the most, investors are interested only in gain because any business plan that states operating at loose won’t be sanctioned. 
Anyway Bulk-haul profits have recently shot up so to offset tax we may see a bit of money offered to Woody for his rebuilding plan. We could be seeing high press football quicker than we expected and it would help secure Woody future.  

• Like 1

I'd be happy if Red Bull took us over. 

They focus on playing nice football, have a "buy young, sell high" attitude to transfers with a global scouting team, and considering red is one of their main colours I don't think we'd need to see a massive change in the shirts (a là Cardiff).

Imagine if they brought European nights back to the Riverside! I dont think those people who are saying they would be heavily against a takeover would stay mad for long if we were back to having away days in Rome and Eindhoven!

17 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Wouldn't be Middlesbrough though, it'd be Red Bull.

It’ll be like every other club that’s bankrolled by a wealthy person, business, country etc. 

29 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Wouldn't be Middlesbrough though, it'd be Red Bull.

They wouldn't be allowed to put their name on the team due to FA rules, I believe. 

We'd probably have to rename the stadium though - The Red Bull Riverside Stadium or something along those lines. 

3 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

They wouldn't be allowed to put their name on the team due to FA rules, I believe. 

We'd probably have to rename the stadium though - The Red Bull Riverside Stadium or something along those lines. 

I don’t think that a stadium rename would bother anyone but if we became RB Boro I don’t think many would like it. I do think that you are correct though DZ, didn’t the FA prevent Hull City being renamed Hull Tigers a few years ago?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I don’t think that a stadium rename would bother anyone but if we became RB Boro I don’t think many would like it. I do think that you are correct though DZ, didn’t the FA prevent Hull City being renamed Hull Tigers a few years ago?

Yea I don't think they can change a clubs name.

RB Leipzig aren't red bull Leipzig they are called Rassenballsport Leipzig.

They called the ground red bull arena though. 

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I also picked up on the resentment its generated from other clubs, not to mention how they got round German league laws about incorporating product / brand names into the team.

Not to mention how grass-roots fans felt about the takeover of one of their clubs and its transformation into something completely different.

I guess it comes down to what you want out of your football club. Whether you want to respect history & tradition, or whether you're happy to embrace it becoming a completely different entity in the pursuit of success, trophies etc.

Quite honestly, if some company came along and did to Boro whats been done to the club that became RB Leipzig, I would not be at all happy. Then again, Boro aren't as far down the food chain, so maybe they wouldn't regard such drastic changes necessary.

I understand where your coming from but after watching RBL V Spurs last night I know what I would prefer to see on a weekly basis.
That is how to play a high press game. I thought they were very exciting to watch and I thought Spurs were fortunate to only concede 1 goal.

I am 100% convinced that if Boro could produce like that then the ground would be full every week regardless of if there was a change of identity or not. And that in itself would add to a much better game day atmosphere.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, BoroAbroad said:

I understand where your coming from but after watching RBL V Spurs last night I know what I would prefer to see on a weekly basis.
That is how to play a high press game. I thought they were very exciting to watch and I thought Spurs were fortunate to only concede 1 goal.

I am 100% convinced that if Boro could produce like that then the ground would be full every week regardless of if there was a change of identity or not. And that in itself would add to a much better game day atmosphere.

I guess the main difference is that Red a Bull took over a tiny non league club in Leipzig, rather than an established championship club. I would imagine there was a lot less resistance to change there, than there would be here as Boro already have an estimated identity. 

A closer parallel would be if Red Bull came in and took over Blyth Spartans, changed their name to Racing Blyth Spartans and took them up from the Northern National League to the Prem, I’m sure there would be one or objections from die hard fans, but the club would attract many new fans as they rose through the divisions. I guess that scenario would take a lot longer, but be a lot more organic. 

• Like 1

I don't think a Red Bull takeover would be ruinous for the club:

1. We already play in red and white, so a splash of yellow in our kit isn't going to change it the way a red/white/yellow kit would materially affect Chelsea or West Brom.

2. Red Bull couldn't change our club's name under FA rules. Our history and identity would be protected to a degree, at least.

3.  It's not like they'd have to build a new stadium to enable MFC to flourish. The Riverside is fine. Again, heritage preserved.

4. If they wanted to rename the stadium the Red Bull Riverside, is it really worse than the BT Cellnet Riverside?

5. Our club is sinking into obscurity at present. Red Bull have a proven track record of making clubs successful, and after the last ten years, we could do with their guidance.

6. There are far fewer ethical concerns about being owned by an energy drinks company than by Emiratis, obscure shell corporations or Mike Ashley. Or Karl Oyston. Or Steve Dale. Or anyone else who decides to make Steve Gibson an offer in future.

7. I'd much rather see people walking around Middlesbrough advertising energy drinks on their replica shirts than the assorted pawnbrokers and bookmakers we've been sponsored by since the late Noughties.

8. It does appear Steve Gibson is losing interest in MFC, and his decision making over the last decade has been fairly absymal. Wouldn't it be nice to have a clear identity, a sense of direction, and a long-term plan? Even a Director of Football, for Christ's sake?

As for the reactions of other clubs' supporters, (a) IDGAF, and (b) they'd just be jealous. Red Bull are a typically efficient Germanic organisation who have successfully disrupted every industry they've entered. They know what they're doing. Can the same be said for our current owner, who has been trading on past glories for over a decade?

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Borodane said:

It’ll be like every other club that’s bankrolled by a wealthy person, business, country etc. 

Not really.

Most clubs don't share owners with 5 other teams, we'd be part of the Red Bull franchise.

The City Group is worse, because of the disgusting human rights abuses, but even ignoring that I find the idea of people and companies owning multiple clubs very off putting.

2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

I don't think a Red Bull takeover would be ruinous for the club:

1. We already play in red and white, so a splash of yellow in our kit isn't going to change it the way a red/white/yellow kit would materially affect Chelsea or West Brom.

2. Red Bull couldn't change our club's name under FA rules. Our history and identity would be protected to a degree, at least.

3.  It's not like they'd have to build a new stadium to enable MFC to flourish. The Riverside is fine. Again, heritage preserved.

4. If they wanted to rename the stadium the Red Bull Riverside, is it really worse than the BT Cellnet Riverside?

5. Our club is sinking into obscurity at present. Red Bull have a proven track record of making clubs successful, and after the last ten years, we could do with their guidance.

6. There are far fewer ethical concerns about being owned by an energy drinks company than by Emiratis, obscure shell corporations or Mike Ashley. Or Karl Oyston. Or Steve Dale. Or anyone else who decides to make Steve Gibson an offer in future.

7. I'd much rather see people walking around Middlesbrough advertising energy drinks on their replica shirts than the assorted pawnbrokers and bookmakers we've been sponsored by since the late Noughties.

8. It does appear Steve Gibson is losing interest in MFC, and his decision making over the last decade has been fairly absymal. Wouldn't it be nice to have a clear identity, a sense of direction, and a long-term plan? Even a Director of Football, for Christ's sake?

As for the reactions of other clubs' supporters, (a) IDGAF, and (b) they'd just be jealous. Red Bull are a typically efficient Germanic organisation who have successfully disrupted every industry they've entered. They know what they're doing. Can the same be said for our current owner, who has been trading on past glories for over a decade?

I still have my concerns about Red Bull but this is a well put together post, mate. Lot of very good points.

• Thanks 1