oneBoro Forum

Relegation Battle

3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Come on Arsenal were far from boring at that time. It was only in his final few seasons they started to be boring and there were plenty of fans who wanted him to stop years before he did.

I don't think we were dour to watch in our promotion season either, there were some games which were a grind but there was some good football as well. 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, first of all to address borodane referring to a ‘Middle Eastern despot’. I’m going to assume that’s a reference to Man City’s owners. They are morally repulsive, and if I was a Man City fa

Hope not considering your user name. 😬🤣🤣

Blackburn got relegated with 51 points the season we were in the Prem. 4 of the last 5 seasons, 42 points has been enough. Comparing both 16/17, 18/19 and this season after ~32 games, the bottom

Posted Images

With the current state the clubs in (total mess), I think we could do a lot worse then have Warnock here for next season. The mans got 8 promotions under his belt. He knows this league better then any other manager, and we’d be sure of staying up you would think. 
His tactics aren’t as dinosaur as Pulis’, albeit not the best. It will be better then the current crap we are getting served. 
Hasn’t he always wanted to work under Gibson? Or is that someone else? Maybe he would take a small pay cut to come here. 
Anyway, we probs can’t afford him, and we will sleepwalk to league 1. Can’t wait. UTB

As others mentioned, give him till end of season and then reassess.

Edited by BoroSmoggie
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

You see, this I can't agree with.  Either he's the man for the job or he isn't.  A win tonight shouldn't make a difference either way.  If we lose tonight then he's not the man for the job but if we win tonight then he is the man for the job?  That just doesn't make any sense to me at all as it's one game and it can't be that important on it's own.  Say we win the next two but then lose the following two, is he getting sacked or does winning these next two games guarantee his job for the foreseeable future for some reason?  If Gibson genuinely believes that he's the right man for the job then he should stick with him no matter what happens tonight or against Forest.  If he doesn't then he should be gone no matter what.  This is what Gibson has done in the past, waited for one result to go our way so that in his mind he doesn't have to take action.  If you've reached the point where you are thinking like that then really the decision has already been made and you are just trying to find reasons to delay or avoid it.

The problem is that football management is a results game so your the right man for the job if you get results. Tactics, signings, substitutes are all tools used at completing the job which is winning. Look at Ranieri, was he the right man for Leicester? Most would say yes when he won the league but no when they struggled, same man, same ideologies just different results

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

If we got those types of results then I think it'll move us away from the bottom 3 slightly. I don't think we'll be any further on as a club but I think it would be enough to keep JW in a job. 

That's my point mate, that's why it doesn't make sense to me either way.

50 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Come on Arsenal were far from boring at that time. It was only in his final few seasons they started to be boring and there were plenty of fans who wanted him to stop years before he did.

In the 1992/93 season they done the cup double but were labelled with the Boring Arsenal tag then for going twelve consecutive games with a binary score. Boro of course being "Typical Boro" did beat them but felt obliged to limit it to 1-0 at the end of the season. The years of Henry and co. were impressive but it was also tempered by years of Adams and friends running up field with their arms stretched up claiming offside at every opportune moment. 

5 minutes ago, Somerset Boro said:

The problem is that football management is a results game so your the right man for the job if you get results. Tactics, signings, substitutes are all tools used at completing the job which is winning. Look at Ranieri, was he the right man for Leicester? Most would say yes when he won the league but no when they struggled, same man, same ideologies just different results

Yeah I understand that mate, but one result tonight shouldn't be enough to sway Gibson either way.  A win or a loss tonight is simply one win or loss.  If he's already of a mind to sack him then he should sack him.  If he's not then he may as well come out and say that Woodgate is the manager whatever happens and that he was a long term appointment.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Barnaby said:

If there was a block button on here I would use it, For this Post alone,And who do you think is going to come in and change anything Warnock? McClaren, Mourino, Karanka,

A block button for suggesting that if a loss to Leeds meant Woodgate would go? Because having Woodgate so far this season has worked out so well? 

There are PLENTY of managers who could come in a do something different. Chris Hughton would be a sensible option, in my opinion. 

If something isnt working, what is the alternative? To keep going with Woodgate to hope he gets it right? We've given him 30 games! At what stage does enough become enough to change the slip into the relegation zone? 

It's not like its october and theres still plenty of the season left. 

Strange that that line of argument would warrant a block, but each to their own. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Changing Times said:

You see, this I can't agree with.  Either he's the man for the job or he isn't.  A win tonight shouldn't make a difference either way.  If we lose tonight then he's not the man for the job but if we win tonight then he is the man for the job?  That just doesn't make any sense to me at all as it's one game and it can't be that important on it's own.  Say we win the next two but then lose the following two, is he getting sacked or does winning these next two games guarantee his job for the foreseeable future for some reason?  If Gibson genuinely believes that he's the right man for the job then he should stick with him no matter what happens tonight or against Forest.  If he doesn't then he should be gone no matter what.  This is what Gibson has done in the past, waited for one result to go our way so that in his mind he doesn't have to take action.  If you've reached the point where you are thinking like that then really the decision has already been made and you are just trying to find reasons to delay or avoid 

You know, I tried to counter that but you're absolutely right. The fact we would be hoping for him to win is forgetting the evidence already shown that he isnt up to it and he is out of his depth. 

I think you're right about how Gibson would approach this matter as well. I think to some degree he is good for giving managers a chance, but hes had 30 games and is off the back of 1 point against the bottom 3. That should be evidence enough.

The Crewe game even back then should have had alarm bells ringing simply due to the nature of the defeat. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to have been any personal or professional development during the interim period and we look just as tactically confused now as we did that evening.

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The Crewe game even back then should have had alarm bells ringing simply due to the nature of the defeat. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to have been any personal or professional development during the interim period and we look just as tactically confused now as we did that evening.

I think there was and it grew until we went on the mini miracle spree prompting me to author a thread I truly regret, humble pie? Bah humbug!

• Like 1

I will be very surprised if Woodgate is sacked this season. I expect him to still be here next season whatever happens. I think the club is prepared to accept relegation to the third tier, otherwise he would have gone in November.

I can't personally see Woodgate turning it round with the experienced players, who I don't believe are playing for him. The younger players are more likely to listen to him and that's why his about turn and confused selections in the past month have surprised me.

I never thought Woodgate was the right man for the job, but he has been let down by his 'big name' players, who let's face it won't be here when we go down. Woodgate has to carry the can though for trusting these players.

31 minutes ago, Otto42 said:

I will be very surprised if Woodgate is sacked this season. I expect him to still be here next season whatever happens. I think the club is prepared to accept relegation to the third tier, otherwise he would have gone in November.

I can't personally see Woodgate turning it round with the experienced players, who I don't believe are playing for him. The younger players are more likely to listen to him and that's why his about turn and confused selections in the past month have surprised me.

I never thought Woodgate was the right man for the job, but he has been let down by his 'big name' players, who let's face it won't be here when we go down. Woodgate has to carry the can though for trusting these players.

Its entirely possible that his big name players feel let down by him considering his continual change in ethos, tactics, formations, line ups, selections and then calling a few of them (including kids) out when things aren't going well. There are rumours abound about disagreements with his own coaching staff as well now over selections and tactics. Granted they may just be social media nonsense but there is usually no smoke without fire which accelerates their proliferation over the internet. It goes back to the "was never the right man for the job" and what has ensued since is all merely symptomatic of that cause and effect. If many of the fans never wanted or believed in him what must it have been like for some of the more experienced players? I would guess that many of us on here in our careers at some point have had to suffer answering to a senior who was a clueless idiot. Why would footballers respond or think differently from any other worker?

• Like 1