oneBoro Forum

Relegation Battle

There is a huge reason to sack woodgate. We can still survive relegation, but I personally don't think we can with him at the helm. And where does this confidence come from? 

Well, in order to win games in general, the team needs to have confidence in the manager. If ours do have confidence in woodgate then we are already doomed. 

I'm sick of having managers that play players in their wrong positions. It's like you have to answer that question incorrectly in the interview to get the job. Just get a manager in that will play players in their best positions and give them a chance to play their best game. 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, first of all to address borodane referring to a ‘Middle Eastern despot’. I’m going to assume that’s a reference to Man City’s owners. They are morally repulsive, and if I was a Man City fa

Hope not considering your user name. 😬🤣🤣

Blackburn got relegated with 51 points the season we were in the Prem. 4 of the last 5 seasons, 42 points has been enough. Comparing both 16/17, 18/19 and this season after ~32 games, the bottom

Posted Images

Woody's interview must have been gold.

"What I am going to do is sign three players and not play any of them. Then loan two of them out."

"Howson hes been centre midfielder for years so i aim to switch him between right back and centre back."

"I am going to play a cm at RB a lw at lb no one will suspect it. "

"Then if teams think they have us sussed I will drop anyone who is playing well for the next game"

• Haha 1

Apart from repeating the same nonsense can anyone decipher Woody interviews. There is no structure to any I have read so what exactly is he trying to portray. Honestly the interviews are similar to his tactics and selection, off the cuff, not structured, pointless. 

3 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I did not support his appointment but willing to give him the benefit of doubt. I still believe he should be removed but having looked at the statistics I can’t see how anyone coming in now could turn the ship around, well apart from a possible bounce with a new manager. My worry is bringing someone in of poor quality and being stuck with them next season. 

Aye, same mate. Like I've said, I'd rather we didn't appoint someone like Warnock as I sincerely doubt they'd be coming in to manage 10 games and if they were, they'd be doing it for some potentially significant reimbursement if they succeeded.

If Woodgate goes, we have to get the appointment right for the long term, I've no desire for us to be the Championship version of the clubs in the Premier League (like Sunderland once were) who change their manager when in a relegation fight because the bounce the team gets keeps them up, year after year. It's unsustainable and it does not provide any light at the end of the tunnel, it just covers up genuine issues year on year.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, sanddancer said:

I did not support his appointment but willing to give him the benefit of doubt. I still believe he should be removed but having looked at the statistics I can’t see how anyone coming in now could turn the ship around, well apart from a possible bounce with a new manager. My worry is bringing someone in of poor quality and being stuck with them next season. 

Problem is how difficult would it be to find someone of even poorer quality? I doubt even Steve Gibson could find one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really can’t understand why anyone would not want us to stay up. There are no circumstances that I can think of that going down is better than staying up. We are absolutely going down with the current manager in charge. We need to change him now and get an experienced man in now. Warnock, Allardyce, Hughton and Pulis would guarantee our survival with 10 games to go. Get one of them in. I even would accept the Spanish bottler at this stage and that shows the desperation of the current situation for me.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Problem is how difficult would it be to find someone of even poorer quality? I doubt even Steve Gibson could find one!

This is where the narrator of this sad tale says:

'Little did Redcar Rioja know, Gibson could, indeed, find someone worse'

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

I’d wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if he sacked woodgate and replaced him with Leo. What a car crash that would be.

It'd be one entertaining car crash though.

Imagine the scenes if Leo kept us up.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Blanco said:

I really can’t understand why anyone would not want us to stay up. There are no circumstances that I can think of that going down is better than staying up. We are absolutely going down with the current manager in charge. We need to change him now and get an experienced man in now. Warnock, Allardyce, Hughton and Pulis would guarantee our survival with 10 games to go. Get one of them in. I even would accept the Spanish bottler at this stage and that shows the desperation of the current situation for me.

Well going down certainly would not improve the club's financial situation. Then there's the loss of prestige / status (what little we still have).

I think what people are saying is that, even if we got rid of Woodgate now, its unlikely a new manager would be able to keep us up.

My take on that is that, even if we still went down, we'd have a better change of rebuilding and getting back on an upward trajectory under pretty much anyone other than Woodgate.

I wouldn't say any manager would guarantee us staying up...but I reckon they'd significantly improve our odds. I also wouldn't be averse to signing any of the guys you named on a 3-year contract. They wouldn't put up with the crap thats gone on under Woody's regime and would stand up to Gibson if he tried to tell them what to do (its not like any of them are desperate for work).

The reality of it tho, is the club should be preparing behind the scenes for leauge one not just the championship that's the stark reality.  But we all know the club thinks we're too good to go down so won't have a contingency plan for that . 

Edited by Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die
  • Like 2
11 hours ago, Blanco said:

It's not that I don't want us to stay up, I do. But staying up whilst never dealing with the underlying issues that put us in this position in the first place is simply not good enough. And that's what I think hiring any of those managers does.

I'm not gonna say we'd come straight back up as I don't think we would either. But the long-term future of the club and it's future success is no more guaranteed by being in this division vs. not being in it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

The reality of it tho, is the club should be preparing behind the scenes for leauge one not just the championship that's the stark reality.  But we all know the club thinks we're too good to go down so won't have a contingency plan for that . 

I’m not clear we have any long term plans at all, whatever league we’re in. We have a bunch of first team players out of contract in the summer, we’ve made it pretty clear we don’t want to offer new contracts to many and those we do will be offered massively reduced terms. I suspect only Howson will stay (if we’re not relegated). The youngsters we bought to bring through this season to step up next have all failed - even Djiksteel before his injury wasn’t holding down a regular place - with the others sent back out on loan. The lads from the academy who have done well are always the first to be dropped when things are rocky. Our loans with the option of a second year are a worry - Roberts won’t stay if we go down and Nmecha is awful. 

Doesn’t matter what division we’re in, the sheer volume of players we need to bring into the club next season is scary. And we know how poor our recruitment is. We will need a top class manager and coaching team to work in that environment next season. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It's not that I don't want us to stay up, I do. But staying up whilst never dealing with the underlying issues that put us in this position in the first place is simply not good enough. And that's what I think hiring any of those managers does.

I'm not gonna say we'd come straight back up as I don't think we would either. But the long-term future of the club and it's future success is no more guaranteed by being in this division vs. not being in it.

I get your point mate but the higher division we are in would be better for the long term future of the club IMO

7 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

I’m not clear we have any long term plans at all, whatever league we’re in. We have a bunch of first team players out of contract in the summer, we’ve made it pretty clear we don’t want to offer new contracts to many and those we do will be offered massively reduced terms. I suspect only Howson will stay (if we’re not relegated). The youngsters we bought to bring through this season to step up next have all failed - even Djiksteel before his injury wasn’t holding down a regular place - with the others sent back out on loan. The lads from the academy who have done well are always the first to be dropped when things are rocky. Our loans with the option of a second year are a worry - Roberts won’t stay if we go down and Nmecha is awful. 

Doesn’t matter what division we’re in, the sheer volume of players we need to bring into the club next season is scary. And we know how poor our recruitment is. We will need a top class manager and coaching team to work in that environment next season. 

Totally agree with you. If we go down we may only have 10-12 of the current squad. That means that we will need to bring in about the same number. I realise a lot of you will say that it will be good to get rid of loads of the current squad, but it will be a difficult job to replace them all properly. Woodgate is not the man to do that.

• Like 1