oneBoro Forum

Relegation Battle

9 hours ago, DurhamRed said:

What's get's me is if report's were true Gibson practically had Jokanovic but he decided £2 million was too much I mean I think relagation to league one will cost more!

A lot of the extra costs towards Jokanovic would have been brought in again through increased ticket sales and increased player values. We'll be lucky to get over 5 million for Britt after this season, and tbh I struggle to see any clubs showing serious interest in him at a price we can remotely accept. Woodgate is going to prove to be a very expensive gamble from Gibson. Not a huge financially as giving the job to Agnew in the Prem, but we are going to be royally ****** when we are relegated to league 1. Well done Steve Gibson. Standing ovation to your running of the club👌

• Like 4
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, first of all to address borodane referring to a ‘Middle Eastern despot’. I’m going to assume that’s a reference to Man City’s owners. They are morally repulsive, and if I was a Man City fa

Hope not considering your user name. 😬🤣🤣

Blackburn got relegated with 51 points the season we were in the Prem. 4 of the last 5 seasons, 42 points has been enough. Comparing both 16/17, 18/19 and this season after ~32 games, the bottom

Posted Images

Clearly Woodgate will stay if by some chance we stay in the Championship. However if we get relegated then in the cold light of day Mr Gibson may well have to change the manager, no matter what he is saying now.

He couldn't really come out in the press and say don't worry I am going to sack him. That wouldn't really help the possibility of getting the required results to stay up. There had been plenty of complaints and demands that he make a statement, and now he has. He clearly knows we are in the mire and there still may well be a point when he instigates the removal of our dear manager.

It is still a case however of only telling the fans as much as he feels we need to know at this stage!

Remember when, at the start of the season, Woodgate said the goal was "Promotion. Obviously." Or something along those lines?

Yeah... Suddenly we're expected to forget that. 

1 minute ago, Snowblind said:

Remember when, at the start of the season, Woodgate said the goal was "Promotion. Obviously." Or something along those lines?

Yeah... Suddenly we're expected to forget that. 

I wonder if the players have got relegation wage cut clauses in their contracts. 

3 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I wonder if the players have got relegation wage cut clauses in their contracts. 

Knowing us Gestede will have an automatic 3 year extension in case of relegation.

Does anyone have any insight into how damaging relegation to League 1 will actually be?

It's obviously less of a financial hit than PL to Championship, but we'll still have less from TV, gate receipts etc... Will wages have to take a massive drop? Will there be a fire-sale of anyone remotely decent?

I genuinely have no idea if the standard of football is even that different - again, assuming a smaller gap than between PL and Championship. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Does anyone have any insight into how damaging relegation to League 1 will actually be?

It's obviously less of a financial hit than PL to Championship, but we'll still have less from TV, gate receipts etc... Will wages have to take a massive drop? Will there be a fire-sale of anyone remotely decent?

I genuinely have no idea if the standard of football is even that different - again, assuming a smaller gap than between PL and Championship. 

Don't think its a huge amount in terms of tv revenue, but factor in the size of the club, ground and staff wages, it certainly doesnt help with falling gates too. 

4 minutes ago, nunthorpered said:

Don't think its a huge amount in terms of tv revenue, but factor in the size of the club, ground and staff wages, it certainly doesnt help with falling gates too. 

It depends whether you are at the top end of the league and playing good football and in turn attracting big crowds.

17 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Yes so true and now we are going to have to start giving the fans a better style of play than we have had in the past 5 years.

Also start winning cup games instead of tossing them away to the lower league clubs, we simply will not be able to afford such luxuries of picking and choosing what games we want to win or lose.Not that we have had that luxury in the league or cups this year.

So that will mean (hopefully) larger gates than the 12000 expected and with that comes more brass.

Next season if we do drop we have to make it certain we give no respect to the lower teams,hammer them and get the frig back out not do a Sunderland and start getting comfortable down there.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Motor Mouth said:

Yes so true and now we are going to have to start giving the fans a better style of play than we have had in the past 5 years.

Also start winning cup games instead of tossing them away to the lower league clubs, we simply will not be able to afford such luxuries of picking and choosing what games we want to win or lose.Not that we have had that luxury in the league or cups this year.

So that will mean (hopefully) larger gates than the 12000 expected and with that comes more brass.

Next season if we do drop we have to make it certain we give no respect to the lower teams,hammer them and get the frig back out not do a Sunderland and start getting comfortable down there.

We were down to 12 thousand fans in the Mowbray era, I think the crowds will be sub 10k next season especially at Premier league prices. 

We'll be shutting 2/3's of the ground. 

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Duvel said:

We were down to 12 thousand fans in the Mowbray era, I think the crowds will be sub 10k next season especially at Premier league prices. 

We'll be shutting 2/3's of the ground. 

Yeh you have a point there which is why I am saying no more dropping games to the lower league clubs in the cups and fighting tooth n nail for every game.

Just read the Gibson interview  that guy just does not like taking the blame does he, its always we  and never me.

"I see where we made mistakes".

Bleeding tosser the only correction this club needs is him to sell up and then we can start the rebuild.Why should we believe he can rebuild "Yet again" when he as failed so miserably so many times before.

• Like 1

In fairness, a lot of previous managers have to take their share of blame - Monk spunking the parachute payments on players who didn't really improve us, Agnew not even trying to keep us in the PL, and whatever "root and branch reform" Tony Pulis didn't end up doing as he squandered our remaining savings on dross like Saville. I know Gibson appointed them all, but Jesus, we've had some real failures of coaching and management. And not all of them were destined to fail before they were appointed.

However, I suspect the use of "we" is really an attempt to suggest equivalence with the fans. We're all in this together. I'm one of you, really. No, honestly, I am. I am! Hello? 

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Motor Mouth said:

Have to be honest mate, that sounds worryingly similar to what people said when we got relegated from the PL the first time. 

Is the average League 1 team really that much worse than the likes of Luton and Barnsley? Bad enough to get spanked by Woodgate's Boro minus our 4 or 5 best players?

• Like 1