oneBoro Forum

Relegation Battle

14 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Have to be honest mate, that sounds worryingly similar to what people said when we got relegated from the PL the first time. 

Is the average League 1 team really that much worse than the likes of Luton and Barnsley? Bad enough to get spanked by Woodgate's Boro minus our 4 or 5 best players?

There was an arrogance around the club in 09 and 17 that we'd make an immediate return to the Premier and I'm sure they'll be a similar feeling next season in league 1. 

I don't know how we can make an expectation when we'll be rebuilding the squad, we'll have a clown as a manager and a poorly run club. I think a long stay in the 3rd tier is just as likely. 

• Like 6
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, first of all to address borodane referring to a ‘Middle Eastern despot’. I’m going to assume that’s a reference to Man City’s owners. They are morally repulsive, and if I was a Man City fa

Hope not considering your user name. 😬🤣🤣

Blackburn got relegated with 51 points the season we were in the Prem. 4 of the last 5 seasons, 42 points has been enough. Comparing both 16/17, 18/19 and this season after ~32 games, the bottom

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Duvel said:

And who chose the managers? 

Yeah, Gibson. He knee jerks between contrasting managers, and then we’re told to be patient with the manager as the squad is in transition. The only thing Gibson is good at is making excuses and avoiding scrutiny. Fans are starting to see through the media wall that he has created to protect himself from justified criticism. Him keeping Woodgate is the straw that broke the camels back.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

And who chose the managers? 

I absolutely agree the lion's share of responsibility rests with the owner, for some truly awful decision-making in the last decade. My point is simply that the managers aren't blameless in our current plight. Monk was widely seen as a decent if unremarkable appointment at the time, but he shat the bed a month into his Clayton-as-auxiliary-CB experiment and never found a groove. Pulis was the wrong man for a promotion push, but after the chaos of Monk's reign, I didn't hear much opposition to his appointment at the outset. We did make the play-offs that season, and if Pulis hadn't bottled it against Villa, we would have stood a fair chance of promotion.

I think Woodgate's appointment is Steve Gibson's worst mistake since 2006, and it'll have the most damaging long-term effects. Even if we stay up this season - and I don't for one minute think we will - who would want to come and play for us now, seeing what a basket case MFC is becoming? We're going to slowly sink into the abyss, and it's all self-inflicted.

I have always been of the belief that those who pay their money have he right to complain when things are not going so well and i fully respect that right. However, I would like the opportunity to put another side of the argument. The first game that I went to was in 1959 when, aged 5 my Dad took me to watch Boro vs Sunderland in an uninspiring 0-0 draw. From that moment on I was hooked and living literally across the road from Ayresome Park in Warwick Street I never missed a home game starting off in the boy's end and the Bob End I attended every home game until I left to join the army in 1973. So I have been supporting the Boro now for over 60 years and to say it's a bit of a roller coaster would be to downplay roller coasters. To back up my ongoing support for SG I'm going  to compare the 32 years of the SG era with the 32 years pre SG. Let me now take you with me on that roller coaster ride and give you some figures  over those 64 years and so as not to confuse Div 1, the championship and all the various names I'll just use Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3. Over those 65 years Boro have been in Tier 1, 24 seasons (16 under SG), Tier 2, 39 years (16 under SG), Tier 3, 2 years (1 under SG). I know which era I preferred with 50% of the last 32 years being spent in Tier 1, not including the Cup Finals and those amazing European nights. All of that has been down to the sheer, tremendous financial support put into this club by SG without which most of our successes would have been unlikely. Has he made mistakes, yes and he freely admits to that but don't give up on SG or JW.  Things may look bleak at the moment, but we have been there before and i have the utmost confidence that under SG and JW better times are just around the corner. Keep faith, stay strong and UTB.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, p_mards said:

We should rename this thread to “Steve Gibson’s relegation chase”. In the name of being positive and all that.

I was thinking along the lines of I'm A Football Chairman...Get Me Out of Here!

Instead of Bushtucker Trials, there could be a Boardroom Gauntlet, where he has to answer questions from the fans...and if they don't like the answer he has to either eat  / drink something disgusting, get pelted with rotten fruit, or gunged.

On 3/2/2020 at 1:19 PM, BoroVet said:

I have always been of the belief that those who pay their money have he right to complain when things are not going so well and i fully respect that right. However, I would like the opportunity to put another side of the argument. The first game that I went to was in 1959 when, aged 5 my Dad took me to watch Boro vs Sunderland in an uninspiring 0-0 draw. From that moment on I was hooked and living literally across the road from Ayresome Park in Warwick Street I never missed a home game starting off in the boy's end and the Bob End I attended every home game until I left to join the army in 1973. So I have been supporting the Boro now for over 60 years and to say it's a bit of a roller coaster would be to downplay roller coasters. To back up my ongoing support for SG I'm going  to compare the 32 years of the SG era with the 32 years pre SG. Let me now take you with me on that roller coaster ride and give you some figures  over those 64 years and so as not to confuse Div 1, the championship and all the various names I'll just use Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3. Over those 65 years Boro have been in Tier 1, 24 seasons (16 under SG), Tier 2, 39 years (16 under SG), Tier 3, 2 years (1 under SG). I know which era I preferred with 50% of the last 32 years being spent in Tier 1, not including the Cup Finals and those amazing European nights. All of that has been down to the sheer, tremendous financial support put into this club by SG without which most of our successes would have been unlikely. Has he made mistakes, yes and he freely admits to that but don't give up on SG or JW.  Things may look bleak at the moment, but we have been there before and i have the utmost confidence that under SG and JW better times are just around the corner. Keep faith, stay strong and UTB.

I appreciate your faith and loyalty but at 62 with a history of following BORO up and down the country I disagree with what you state about SG. He is making bigger mistakes as each season passes, he does not admit his mistake he blankets the media. SG has gone from hero to zero over the 35 years because he has disconnected from the fans, the club has gone from our club to his club. 
Much of what you say is from the heart but let’s get facts right, SG and his manager appointments have absolutely dire choices and never so more than Woody. 
Im not the only one just look at the crowd numbers dwindle, read the forums and comments. It’s not about living in the past it’s how you apply yourself today. 

20 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I appreciate your faith and loyalty but at 62 with a history of following BORO up and down the country I disagree with what you state about SG. He is making bigger mistakes as each season passes, he does not admit his mistake he blankets the media. SG has gone from hero to zero over the 35 years because he has disconnected from the fans, the club has gone from our club to his club. 
Much of what you say is from the heart but let’s get facts right, SG and his manager appointments have absolutely dire choices and never so more than Woody. 
Im not the only one just look at the crowd numbers dwindle, read the forums and comments. It’s not about living in the past it’s how you apply yourself today. 

SD I think it really is each to their own in terms of Steve Gibson and we are fully aware that his previous actions elevated him to a very high position in the eyes of not the few but the many.

Whilst we know things are poor so many believe we would not be here at all if it was not for SG.

Have looked at it myself and realise that if Boro do go down I will still support the team when I can, heck there will be so many fixtures much closer to me and a lot of grounds I can tick the box to say I have been there. Simply I will not stop and nor do fans of teams of lower divisions, ok not as many but Pompey fans have to be applauded as they do seem to be so ok with who they are, perhaps there is nothing better to do than support the local team in Portsmouth?

Until he goes, he stays (great logic) bugger all anyone can do, but if SG is still "the one and only" by some it is ok with me, that is their right.

I just seem to have a very different opinion to them and to be honest I look forward (like the end of timers) to when he goes because it has been a sad and demoralising time for, not just the anti but the pro SG supporters.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

SD I think it really is each to their own in terms of Steve Gibson and we are fully aware that his previous actions elevated him to a very high position in the eyes of not the few but the many.

Whilst we know things are poor so many believe we would not be here at all if it was not for SG.

Have looked at it myself and realise that if Boro do go down I will still support the team when I can, heck there will be so many fixtures much closer to me and a lot of grounds I can tick the box to say I have been there. Simply I will not stop and nor do fans of teams of lower divisions, ok not as many but Pompey fans have to be applauded as they do seem to be so ok with who they are, perhaps there is nothing better to do than support the local team in Portsmouth?

Until he goes, he stays (great logic) bugger all anyone can do, but if SG is still "the one and only" by some it is ok with me, that is their right.

I just seem to have a very different opinion to them and to be honest I look forward (like the end of timers) to when he goes because it has been a sad and demoralising time for, not just the anti but the pro SG supporters.

It’s without doubt SG has given the town a football club and, in the past, some happy delirious times. The club is the town, the town the club but over the latter years SG decision making has been dire and he should be criticized as we all should be held accountable. 
I am getting sick and tired of wishing the season over hoping for the next to be better, but it just gets worse with every appointment. 
Of course we can all say we are getting immune and don’t care as much, but like many others we search results, tune into games, feel down when beaten and rejoice when wining.  
The club lives inside you, it is you and will remains with you until your passing. UTB. 

• Like 6