oneBoro Forum

Relegation Battle

15 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Gosh what a lot of hopes and pressure on a single player.

Yes he is good and I enjoy that he is so direct however our tactics and players ability could nullify his presence.

If we can not win games now why should he make that much difference?

Exactly. No team should be about one player...and even if they are a standout talent, its asking too much to expect them to drag 10 team mates along with them.

• Like 3
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right then, first of all to address borodane referring to a ‘Middle Eastern despot’. I’m going to assume that’s a reference to Man City’s owners. They are morally repulsive, and if I was a Man City fa

Hope not considering your user name. 😬🤣🤣

Blackburn got relegated with 51 points the season we were in the Prem. 4 of the last 5 seasons, 42 points has been enough. Comparing both 16/17, 18/19 and this season after ~32 games, the bottom

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Exactly. No team should be about one player...and even if they are a standout talent, its asking too much to expect them to drag 10 team mates along with them.

It's not that i expect him to drag the other team mates along, more that he was creating chances and really pushing forward. With the fine margins we are dealing with, that extra push is all it takes to get us over that line.

He isn't a saviour but he's a damn good edition to the team.

• Like 1

Roberts is not going to win games single handedly, but he's the best forward we have - of course it'll be a massive boost to have him back. 

Ayala would make a big difference too. The sooner we can get to something resembling the below, the better the chances of survival in my opinion!

--------------------Pears------------------

Howson - Ayala - Mokoudi - Johnson

------------------Clayton--------------------

----Roberts---Tav---Wing----Coulson

------------------Gestede------------------

14 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

You're quite right that no team should be about one player, but how often have you looked at a team and found yourself saying "they'd be knackered without him?" I remember Rooney pretty much carrying Man U a few seasons ago, and closer to home, Pulis's first half-season would have been absolutely dire without Traore. Would we have got promoted without Gaston? I'm not so sure. Sometimes, one great player can drag better performances out of his teammates, or at least give them some ammo.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

If we can not win games now why should he make that much difference?

because he is the best ball carrier we have in our squad by far? Because he adds pace to a pretty static midfield?

2 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

You're quite right that no team should be about one player, but how often have you looked at a team and found yourself saying "they'd be knackered without him?" I remember Rooney pretty much carrying Man U a few seasons ago, and closer to home, Pulis's first half-season would have been absolutely dire without Traore. Would we have got promoted without Gaston? I'm not so sure. Sometimes, one great player can drag better performances out of his teammates, or at least give them some ammo.

Completely agree with this and others comments about Roberts, he can make a difference as long as he gets the support from his team mates, they need to be clued into what he can do and give him support.

We seem to be relying on shots from Wing at the moment with Roberts playing we have to rely on players who can score from a chance, half chance that he will provide

2 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

because he is the best ball carrier we have in our squad by far? Because he adds pace to a pretty static midfield?

Beat you too it:classic_smile:

15 minutes ago, ThisIzLeon said:

It's not that i expect him to drag the other team mates along, more that he was creating chances and really pushing forward. With the fine margins we are dealing with, that extra push is all it takes to get us over that line.

He isn't a saviour but he's a damn good edition to the team.

I won't disagree with that, but I was coming at it more from the perspective that if we are that reliant on one individual to "get us over the line" then we probably deserve to get relegated.

3 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Very true...but I still don't like those sort of situations. Its still indicative of a generally poor team (and by extension bad recruitment and/or management). Currently, you could look at Jack Grealish and Villa.

If you've got one guy with the team's hopes resting on them, its an unfair burden for a start. They can also start to develop a god complex and demand special treatment.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I won't disagree with that, but I was coming at it more from the perspective that if we are that reliant on one individual to "get us over the line" then we probably deserve to get relegated.

You're 100% right, any team that relies on a single player to maybe get them over the line , should probably be relegated.

I'm an optimist at heart and i don't genuinely believe we should be this low in thew table , so my thinking is if we can survive this (By any means necessary), then hopefully we can build on that next year.

I understand there are a lot of "ifs" in my statement, but a man can dream, aye?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Gosh what a lot of hopes and pressure on a single player.

You're right. He is a good player to watch but he still hasn't been on a winning side for us yet. The others definitely have to step up. 

Sure someone has pointed out that tomorrow is a massive day, Stoke and Wigan win and we lose then we're 4 points adrift which puts even more pressure on us.

Our goal difference is starting to cause concern too with the teams around and above us.

Edited by Boro Scot
extra info
  • Like 1

Who writes this rubbish?

"Contrary to widespread expectation, and despite recent results, Woodgate and Bowyer have matured into two impressive coaches displaying considerable promise in difficult contexts.A strong and warm communicator who wants to know what is going on in the lives of Middlesbrough’s most junior employees and insists on interviewing all potential signings face to face, Woodgate inherited a poisoned chalice at his hometown club. An amalgam of poor past recruitment and the need to slash a high wage bill has left him without money to spend and over-reliant on youth-team graduates. There have been promising spells of pleasing football which hint at a brighter future"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/06/woodgate-and-bowyer-set-friendship-aside-for-relegation-showdown-middlesbrough-charlton

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, Ayresome7 said:

Who writes this rubbish?

"Contrary to widespread expectation, and despite recent results, Woodgate and Bowyer have matured into two impressive coaches displaying considerable promise in difficult contexts.A strong and warm communicator who wants to know what is going on in the lives of Middlesbrough’s most junior employees and insists on interviewing all potential signings face to face, Woodgate inherited a poisoned chalice at his hometown club. An amalgam of poor past recruitment and the need to slash a high wage bill has left him without money to spend and over-reliant on youth-team graduates. There have been promising spells of pleasing football which hint at a brighter future"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/mar/06/woodgate-and-bowyer-set-friendship-aside-for-relegation-showdown-middlesbrough-charlton

Agree with the highlighted sentence. But most is absolute tosh. He has had money to spend. Not a lot. But he has had it. Just spent it unwisely. Seems to be the Boro way.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Ayresome7 said:

Who writes this rubbish?

Sounds like its been copied and pasted from the Gazette. 

• Haha 1