Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Downsouth

Relegation Battle

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think they'd probably run it in different ways to be fair.  Running a business isn't a catch all thing, there are different ways to operate.

 

Also, I thought you should know that you were an accident and me and your mam never wanted you 🚮

I'm fine with that, I was an accident for my real parents too.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think football needs to fundementaly changed though as it is far too capatlist. There needs to be a wage cap, cap in spending every club has the same amount of money. Then in wages clubs can have wage levels for the squad allowed X number players on that wage X on this wage etc much better way of doing things. As I feel it's wrong a club requires a billionaire to win the Premier League now. It requires a level playing field will make it more successful. Then the championship needs to break away from the EFL and sercure a much more lucrative commercial deals it's the 5th most attended league in Europe.  But will any of this happen no as the people in charge are making too much in the current format. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Borodane said:

Wolves got overtaken by an international company who had a clear plan. I'm pretty sure the Wolves fans are very happy and don't care that they are owned by a Chinese company. I for one envy the position they are in and they've done it in less than 5 years.

But a lot of that also has to do with Nuno and the way he's managed the club.

Other than that - good example. Someone (or some persons) buy the club, appoint a manager and let him get on with it, without making any drastic changes to the club's identity.

 

What bothers me is a company coming in, wanting to change the team's name, badge, strip etc. like none of the history matters. Essentially making the club little more than a promotional tool for whatever they're selling.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

I think football needs to fundementaly changed though as it is far too capatlist. There needs to be a wage cap, cap in spending every club has the same amount of money. Then in wages clubs can have wage levels for the squad allowed X number players on that wage X on this wage etc much better way of doing things. As I feel it's wrong a club requires a billionaire to win the Premier League now. It requires a level playing field will make it more successful. Then the championship needs to break away from the EFL and sercure a much more lucrative commercial deals it's the 5th most attended league in Europe.  But will any of this happen no as the people in charge are making too much in the current format. 

I think the current rules are about right...they just need enforcing more rigorously, before it gets to a point where a club has already spent hundreds of millions, before being sanctioned.

Too many loopholes for lawyers to exploit and obviously the PL are more concerned with keeping the cash rolling in, than enforcing their own regulations. Also the FA are an incompetent bunch of tossers who couldn't organise the proverbial heavy drinking session in a brewery.

Also the due diligence process needs tightening up, to make sure no shady corporations or individuals are allowed to take control.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I'm fine with that, I was an accident for my real parents too.

A slightly grim glimpse into the world of DZ here 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

What bothers me is a company coming in, wanting to change the team's name, badge, strip etc. like none of the history matters. Essentially making the club little more than a promotional tool for whatever they're selling.

Aye, what if the swines make us change our kit colour to whatever their brand is! 😮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I'm fine with that, I was an accident for my real parents too.

Virtual Hug GIF

*sniff* thats so sad... 😢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

The NFL only works as it is because it is in a monopoly position.  No bugger else plays American Football at that level or even close to it.  The start up league they tried last year collapsed inside a few months.  The new XFL could end up going the same way as the level of interest just doesn't seem to be there and never will be. They tried the NFL Europe thing years ago and that only worked, while it was operating, as a result of being propped up by the NFL.  So all of the money and resources are concentrated in the hands of 32 clubs.  Football is nothing like that.

Sport in the USA is organised in a completely different way to most of the world.  The NFL has no competition regarding employees or other organisations.  Players are funnelled to them via the Collegiate system, which is also a monopoly of it's own, and that essentially works hand in hand with the NFL to preserve both of their positions.  This only works in what amounts to a closed, fairly centralised system.  Football definitely doesn't share those characteristics.

It's also a bit of a weird one to want an NFL style system whilst railing against the commercialisation of the game and the domination of money.  The NFL is solely there to be a cash cow for a handful of already incredibly wealthy people and the whole sport is commercialised beyond probably any sports not inside the USA.  

Not trying to have a pop at you, it's just that I don't think football could or should be like the NFL or the NBA but you can bet that the current owners in football would love it to be because of the potential to increase their own profits/investments.

Really interesting points. As I said in the first post I know there are a lot of issues with that proposal. The only solution it would immediately fix in my eyes is that it shifting the emphasis away from money in determining success. As you rightly point out it wouldn’t solve the issue of commercialisation, it would enhance it. I lack a solution that would solve all of the most pressing issues I have, just spitballing with the NFL idea ya know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Really interesting points. As I said in the first post I know there are a lot of issues with that proposal. The only solution it would immediately fix in my eyes is that it shifting the emphasis away from money in determining success. As you rightly point out it wouldn’t solve the issue of commercialisation, it would enhance it. I lack a solution that would solve all of the most pressing issues I have, just spitballing with the NFL idea ya know. 

The thing is, money does determine success in the NFL or rather for the NFL. If the other leagues that have started up could take away the best players from the NFL then the NFL wouldn't be as successful.  They can't because they can't afford to do that among other things.  I know you mean money not determining success on the field but it still amounts to the same thing unfortunately.  Think about it in terms of football and let's say that we made several changes here, if it resulted in lower income for players or lower income for clubs then players and investors would just move elsewhere and that's something the NFL doesn't have to worry about.  

A while ago, football clubs (in this country) were actually set up in such a way that they weren't supposed to make a profit for the owners.  I believe the FA had rules in place to this effect.  These got removed on the quiet during the 80's and opened the door for lots of investment.  The plus side of that is better stadiums and facilities but the negative side is that money is now the dominant factor for the most part.  It's one of the reasons that I get so frustrated with us because we have to be smarter than everyone else if we want to succeed.  If we play the same game as everyone else then we'll be no better than where we are now because we don't have the financial resources that others have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d argue that Gibson treats Middlesbrough FC more like a toy than a business. And therein lies the problem. He’s not cutthroat enough to  appoint the right personnel or relieve some of the management to a more football competent person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

The thing is, money does determine success in the NFL or rather for the NFL. If the other leagues that have started up could take away the best players from the NFL then the NFL wouldn't be as successful.  They can't because they can't afford to do that among other things.  I know you mean money not determining success on the field but it still amounts to the same thing unfortunately.  Think about it in terms of football and let's say that we made several changes here, if it resulted in lower income for players or lower income for clubs then players and investors would just move elsewhere and that's something the NFL doesn't have to worry about.  

A while ago, football clubs (in this country) were actually set up in such a way that they weren't supposed to make a profit for the owners.  I believe the FA had rules in place to this effect.  These got removed on the quiet during the 80's and opened the door for lots of investment.  The plus side of that is better stadiums and facilities but the negative side is that money is now the dominant factor for the most part.  It's one of the reasons that I get so frustrated with us because we have to be smarter than everyone else if we want to succeed.  If we play the same game as everyone else then we'll be no better than where we are now because we don't have the financial resources that others have.

Again, very interesting points. I suppose for it to have any chance of succeeding in regards to limiting the impact of money on success it would have to be implemented in all leagues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is that the horse has already bolted so I don't think it's possible to do anything about it now.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ScarBoro said:

Isn’t that part of the reason Man City are being sanctioned - sponsorship by owner alleged to be uncommercial. I.e. it was owners way of pumping money in to avoid losses?

By the way, Bulkhaul profits are published  and Gazette says they are up to £44m, so SG shouldn’t have any problems continuing o fund losses, provided he wants to. Club accounts not out yet.

But RB Leipzigs shirts sponsor is red bull. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnmfc81 said:

But RB Leipzigs shirts sponsor is red bull. 

You can sponsor your club from your own company but you have to make it a fair amount.  If they believe that you're overpaying then that's when they will have issues.  From Gibson's point of view, as he's already funding the club then it probably seems pointless having Bulkhaul as a sponsor as well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Johnmfc81 said:

But RB Leipzigs shirts sponsor is red bull. 

Yes, but Red Bull are are selling to end users. One way or another they will spend a lot of money to advertise to consumers. Therefore they can spend a lot of the marketing budget in promoting the club as long as they can show they might have to spend  a similar amount if they were  sponsoring another football club. Equally if they can show another similar company to them would spend that kind of money on football sponsorship, then they would be OK.

Bulkhaul are selling to other companies and probably don’t need to advertise their services very much, so cannot justify a large spend on the front of football shirts - it wouldn’t be economic for that type of company to advertise to consumers. None of the big football sponsors are companies that don’t sell to consumers either directly or via retailers.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • Liverpool recently posted profits that was in the tens of millions. They don’t need to furlough non-playing staff as they can afford to comfortably pay them. They are expecting the ordinary tax payer to pay their staff wages so they can hang on to their millions. It’s morally wrong to go down this route when they can well afford to pay the wages.
    • Liverpool are getting a lot of flack for furloughing their non-playing staff, whilst paying the players their full salary. I’m sure I’ve read that Boro have done something similar, yet another case of the big clubs getting all the attention. 
    • It seems that way. Oh well. He can just focus on our being our assistant manager then.
    • FAI are trying to save face regarding Keane. Personally I think he will be paid off to leave 'We're in discussions with Robbie' - Keane could still have role with FAI - That’s a quote from over here in Ireland from the new CEO.
    • @Blanco. Looks like Robbie Keane could be on his way out as assistant boss? As you said above, Andrews and Duff have now been confirmed as part of new set up. Apparently there was a rumour Keane could take over u21S but that not happening as u21 boss also been confirmed.
×
×
  • Create New...