oneBoro Forum

What is the medium/long term vision of the club?

Right, I've nicked this topic from fmttm because I think it's a great question. 

What do you think is the medium/long term vision for the club? 

I'd love to hear from some of our ITKers on here who maybe hear certain things out of the club. 

Do you still believe the stuff that came out of the club last summer, do the club genuinely believe that Woodgate is the man to take the club forward? Is this season all part of a grand masterplan where things will eventually start to move forward? 

Or has Steve Gibson lost interest as some people are suggesting? 

Do we have a vision?

Edited by Duvel
  • Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The club's vision is whatever Gibson decides it is, which in my experience means it can change from year to year depending on how he feels at any given time.  I suspect that he'd love the club to be s

I think we're conflating different things here: Football man: usually an ex-player but not necessarily good at anything else (see Woodgate, J) Football manager: usually an ex-player but not

TBF I think that's what Blanco was pointing out. He is not saying he is competent. Just stating he has been in the game a long time. IMO, his decisions by now should be a lot better than they hav

I honestly think the main goal is too become self sufficient... of course promotion but I think the days of Gibson spending exuberant amounts of ££ are long gone.. short term aim is to ensure we are in this league next season whilst continuing to reduce the wage bill. Medium Term Aim is to create an team of youngsters with a spine of experience and hope we can improve as a team. Do I think SG has lost interest... No is my honest opinion... have we made awful decisions... yes without doubt.. allowing Bevington to take control of transfers in the summer was by far our worse move... set us back more than  just Woody. Was woody on a hiding to nothing... Yes he is a local lad being hung out to dry , I know we all criticise him etc but how many of you would of taken the job of managing your home town club.. no brainer for him , only a tenth of what Jokanovic plus his staff wanted. Really wish we got a DoF in place and was told that's what Woody wanted as well.

With regards to the PR the club are spouting that's just Natural. Season ticket sales etc are the main aim now. We dont sell many then the club can say we didnt have the funds to sign anyone in summer. 

Am I confident in Woody... not really , would I love to see him succeed? Without a doubt. He needs to find a settled 11 for the remainder of the season and stick with it though. Only way we grind it out in my opinion.

• Like 1

I'm not ITK in any way, but I think the aim is to ensure MFC can survive long-term without reliance on Sky money. I guess we took that for granted in the PL days, and the last decade has shown how thin the gruel really is when your highlights appear on Quest rather than the BBC.

Steve Gibson's antipathy towards agents has been documented in the past, so he probably hated pouring millions into empty vessels like Guzan and Barragan while we were in the PL. I'd imagine his current vision is for us to become a Southampton-style club, keeping afloat by selling the cream of its home-grown talent to bigger clubs, and building on the Teesside sense of us-vs-the-world to forge a strong connection between players, management, club and fans. There's only so many times you can bet the family silver on incompetents like Monk and Strachan and their here-today-gone-tomorrow mercenaries.

Unfortunately, Gibson has lost touch with modern football, and what it takes to be competitive. He lucked out with Karanka, but appointing Woodgate was the latest in a string of fundamentally bad decisions he's made post-Aitor, including (but not limited to) thinking Steve Agnew was the answer to staying in the PL. Woodgate isn't up to the job, but who among us would say "no thanks, Mr Gibson, I'm not sufficiently qualified for this position at present?" We'd bite his bloody arm off to do what Woody is attempting to do.

I think there was a masterplan before this season started - more than we've seen since Aitor arrived. But it's failed. Gibson either isn't ready to admit that, or still believes a relegation dogfight is the bitter medicine we have to swallow to become the club I described two paragraphs earlier. Tragically, if we'd appointed a DoF five years ago, we'd probably already be there.

It would be interesting to see Gibson's level of interest in MFC if we end up down with the dead men in League One. Let's hope he pulls a Venables-style rabbit out of the hat before we get to that point.

SDS you mentioned on another thread that you believed we would try and push again next season, obviously providing we are in the same League. 

Do you still believe that to be the case?

Who do you think we will offer new contracts to and who will accept? 

Any info on that please? 

The short term vision of the club is to offload the high earners at the first possible opportunity. Is it any surprise that those players aren’t exactly killing themselves for the club’s cause? 

The medium term vision, although not popular with many supporters must be to bring through young players, the likes of Spence and Coulson and flog ‘em for big bucks.

The long term vision? Gibbo wants to own a unicorn farm and he’s going to put Woody in charge. The money raised by selling unicorns will go towards buying top English talent that will propel us to the promised land. 

51 minutes ago, Maccarone said:

SDS you mentioned on another thread that you believed we would try and push again next season, obviously providing we are in the same League. 

Do you still believe that to be the case?

Who do you think we will offer new contracts to and who will accept? 

Any info on that please? 

I'm told that the club know it's a long term project and that there will be money to spend next season. That said I really dont think we as a club can afford a relegation.

I think Gibson has always wanted a club built on a self sustaining footing, Norwich have proved it can be done, the article from the Luton manager saying how difficult to play football following Pulis is probably highlights the real issue, too many negative managers to be able to click your fingers and change into an attacking side instantly. I believe Woody will get us there eventually but personnel will need to be moved on to free up funds and bring in the right sort of player. Hopefully we'll continue on this path and not revert to a defensive manager whenever the next one arrives.

Edit: wonder if Klopp fancies a real challenge 😄

To both recruit and bring through younger players, give them a platform to play at this level and either make a better team through them or sell them on and replace at a profit, utilising the academy when the players are good enough.

The same could be said of Woodgate, he's a young manager being given a platform to develop his career, I've no doubt that's what Gibson tells himself anyway when the reality is he probably wouldn't have hired anyone of the similar level of experience had they no connection to the club, rightly or wrongly. On the plus side, Woodgate knows his role directly affects his hometown club, his successes and failures are tied to the club he cares about so you expect a greater level of focus and determination to get it right. On the negative side, he is still an inexperienced manager with an inexperienced/average staff and no level of determination is going to make that an overnight success.

I suspect that the 'current long term vision' is to make a more sustainable effort to be promoted. To try and operate better financially as a club. However, I sincerely wonder how quickly that will go out the window if we were to make a bit of money through player sales and were financially capable of hiring a really good, experienced manager and signing players on bigger contracts again without tipping over FFP.

I don't think Gibson has lost interest and I don't think he ever will. You can be as motivated and determined as you want and still fail and make mistakes. I also don't think Woodgate is 'the man to take the club forward' but I think that we need to dismiss the idea that there is just one man who needs to be the right fit to move the club in the right direction. There's a collective of failure operating our club, Woodgate is just one man and one factor in that.

4 hours ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Yes he is a local lad being hung out to dry , I know we all criticise him etc but how many of you would of taken the job of managing your home town club.. no brainer for him , only a tenth of what Jokanovic plus his staff wanted. Really wish we got a DoF in place and was told that's what Woody wanted as well.

Someone on another thread said that it would cost £2.5m to get rid of Woodgate and Keane.  I take it you don't believe that's the case if you think that they are on a tenth of what Jokanovic wanted?

14 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Someone on another thread said that it would cost £2.5m to get rid of Woodgate and Keane.  I take it you don't believe that's the case if you think that they are on a tenth of what Jokanovic wanted?

I think it would probably cost that to pay up contracts mate. Jokanovic wanted more than Pulis and 10 staff as well as transfer funds.

1 minute ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

I think it would probably cost that to pay up contracts mate. Jokanovic wanted more than Pulis and 10 staff as well as transfer funds.

You think it would have cost £25m to hire Jokanovic and his staff?  Seems a bit on the high side to me 🤨

1 minute ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

On a 3yr contract for all of them mate. Jokanovic wanted north of 80k a week. That's 12.4 million on his contract alone. All adds up

Was gonna say, take that number, divide by 3 then 52, across 10 staff you're looking at an average salary of ~£16k. Take Jokanovic's 'higher than Pulis' salary away and it's around ~£9k per other member of staff. 1-3 of those will be on bigger wages than some, spread out across them I don't think that's inconceivable at all.