oneBoro Forum

What is the medium/long term vision of the club?

5 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Are you sure it's correct and isn't just something you're being told that maybe isn't quite true?  It seems strange to me that Jokanovic could be in the running for the job if his and his team's demands were so high as there is no possible way we could afford it.  Money is one of the first things to be discussed in any deal and that would have been an immediate 'no chance' on our part.  Sounds like it was all for show and we had absolutely no intention of hiring him at all.

Jokanovic was never in the running. The leak was put out as a PA stunt to show that we were aiming high but Woodgate came out on top (unbelievable I know). 

Woody was told the job was his in the March - everyone including Pulis knew that.

I got the tip off in the March myself and earned a nice wager from the back off it.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The club's vision is whatever Gibson decides it is, which in my experience means it can change from year to year depending on how he feels at any given time.  I suspect that he'd love the club to be s

I think we're conflating different things here: Football man: usually an ex-player but not necessarily good at anything else (see Woodgate, J) Football manager: usually an ex-player but not

TBF I think that's what Blanco was pointing out. He is not saying he is competent. Just stating he has been in the game a long time. IMO, his decisions by now should be a lot better than they hav

7 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Jokanovic was never in the running. The leak was put out as a PA stunt to show that we were aiming high but Woodgate came out on top (unbelievable I know). 

Woody was told the job was his in the March - everyone including Pulis knew that.

I got the tip off in the March myself and earned a nice wager from the back off it.

Aye. He wasn't as expensive as everyone thought either. He went for an interview at a champ club and he wanted half what we were paying Pulis. Couldn't believe it, but 100% true. Then Arab team came in and that was it

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Ayresome365 said:

How could he not know the “challenge on his hands”? He had been part of the coaching staff for 18 months before his appointment?

He was the first team coach when Pulis was here.

The style of play has not changed one bit. Patterns of play exactly the same. 

I think that he thought he would be able to get these players to play the high press in a 433 formation that he spoke about, but for whatever reason that doesnt seem to happen.

On Saturday people have mentioned he was looking at his bench asking why the players arnt doing what has been asked of them.

Anyone can say they want to play in a certain way, being able to coach the players to do it is another thing completely 

• Like 1

I have to say I echo what @Changing Times and @p_mards have said in regards to appointments in key areas.

In my opinion the biggest threat to having a consistent long-term vision is Gibson himself. He is not a footballing man and thus the decisions he makes are by and large poor.

The sooner he relinquishes a bit of control over the footballing decisions the better. Getting a director of football into the club would be a good start. As we would then have a football person making football decisions.

I don’t understand how people can say that Gibson is not a footballing man. He’s been involved in the game for nearly three and a half decades. If you think he’s not a good footballing man well fair enough that’s your opinion but he is definitely time served at this point which qualifies him as a footballing man in my opinion.

End of this season players will be leaving  has their contracts come to an end.

Other players will also be leaving wanting away and will be fetching hardly any money to the kitty.

Woodgate will more than likely stay on because he is one of the cheapest about and although he has managerial status, seriously the backroom boys will still be running the show.

Possible drop down a division losing loads of turnstile funds.

I reckon in one word I would say the coffers will be empty and "Survival" is the medium/long term vision here.

7 hours ago, Blanco said:

I don’t understand how people can say that Gibson is not a footballing man. He’s been involved in the game for nearly three and a half decades. If you think he’s not a good footballing man well fair enough that’s your opinion but he is definitely time served at this point which qualifies him as a footballing man in my opinion.

Time served in a job doesn't mean someone is competent.  

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Time served in a job doesn't mean someone is competent.  

TBF I think that's what Blanco was pointing out. He is not saying he is competent. Just stating he has been in the game a long time.

IMO, his decisions by now should be a lot better than they have proved to be. As it seems he makes the same mistakes over and over again.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, BoroAbroad said:

TBF I think that's what Blanco was pointing out. He is not saying he is competent. Just stating he has been in the game a long time.

IMO, his decisions by now should be a lot better than they have proved to be. As it seems he makes the same mistakes over and over again.

Fair enough. Maybe some of us have a different interpretation of what a football man is as well.

• Like 3

I think we're conflating different things here:

Football man: usually an ex-player but not necessarily good at anything else (see Woodgate, J)

Football manager: usually an ex-player but not necessarily experienced in management, has the people skills and tactical awareness to inspire and motivate players (see Klopp, J)

Business man: usually good at finance and man-management, but not necessarily good at making football decisions (see Gibson, S post-2006)

Woodgate's career means he'll always be a football man, even in retirement. Gibson's ownership of several businesses including the football club he supports doesn't make him a football man, as the last few years demonstrate. A football man wouldn't have made all the glaring mistakes he's made, IMO. A football man would have recognised the evolution of football as a sport, and not appointed Agnew to stop us being relegated - or appointed Pulis to get us promoted.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Football man: usually an ex-player but not necessarily good at anything else (see Woodgate, J)

Football manager: usually an ex-player but not necessarily experienced in management, has the people skills and tactical awareness to inspire and motivate players (see Klopp, J)

Business man: usually good at finance and man-management, but not necessarily good at making football decisions (see Gibson, S post-2006)

Woodgate's career means he'll always be a football man, even in retirement. Gibson's ownership of several businesses including the football club he supports doesn't make him a football man, as the last few years demonstrate. A football man wouldn't have made all the glaring mistakes he's made, IMO. A football man would have recognised the evolution of football as a sport, and not appointed Agnew to stop us being relegated - or appointed Pulis to get us promoted.

Bloody hell. I'm almost as confused by all this as I am with Woodgates tactics. 🤔

• Haha 3
16 hours ago, p_mards said:

Any sort of vision is meaningless if Gibson appoints people into key positions that aren't fit for purpose. Gibson appointing Bevington to head of recruitment turned out to be a disaster. Appointing Woodgate as a head coach looks to be another massive mistake. We look as poorly coached of a team that I have watched since following us since 2001; It's staggering how 3 midfielder can consistently lose the midfielder battle of a game and provide poor defensive protection. Clayton and Leadbitter's combination during 2014 to 2016 was leaps and bounds ahead of the disorganised midfield mess Woodgate throws on the pitch every week.

If we're every going to be run well we're going to need a Sporting Director/Director of Football. I'd like to see us cast the net far and wide, and even let someone like Kenyon drive the process as I just wouldn't trust Gibson to be able to make the right decision about who to interview and then who to appoint. We need someone to implement a long term plan with no exceptions to the rule like Stewart Downing, Jordan Rhodes and Ben Gibson. That's where Steve Gibson is going to have to give up control if we're ever going to operate successfully with someone in that Sporting Director/Director of Football role. I'm sure there are plenty of people in them roles performing well in many divisions that we could attract here. Whether that's from a small Championship club, League One or even a foreign league. I'm sick of having the same frustrations about Steve Gibson wasting so many seasons through his incompetence.

Thats an interesting thought.

Is Gibson that much of a control freak that he is either trying (and failing) to micro-manage all aspects of the club, or just appointing yes-men he trusts to do exactly as he tells them (with the same results)?

Or is he simply trying to do everything on the cheap in order to get the club's finances in order? Problem with that being that doing things on the cheap in the short term, nearly always means spending more in the long term to fix the problems that a re created.

15 hours ago, Lord_Moose said:

I don't think there is one, bar lurching from one disaster to the next.

Gibson seems content to see where this ship sails. I think unless Woodgate loses the fans completely he will be here for as long as we are in the Championship. 

Whatever Gibson and Woodgate agreed were the terms of reference in the summer will always be the plan.

Either way I think we're pretty close to that point already. Either the fans will turn on him completely...or we will drop into League 1 (if not this season, then next, without any major changes  / improvements).

14 hours ago, Ayresome365 said:

How could he not know the “challenge on his hands”? He had been part of the coaching staff for 18 months before his appointment?

He was the first team coach when Pulis was here.

The style of play has not changed one bit. Patterns of play exactly the same. 

Except now we can't defend either. Pulis' style may have been grim to watch, but at least you could see what he was trying to do...and quite often it worked. With Woodgate I don't think anyone can tell what the plan is.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Except now we can't defend either. Pulis' style may have been grim to watch, but at least you could see what he was trying to do...and quite often it worked. With Woodgate I don't think anyone can tell what the plan is.

This.

10 hours ago, Blanco said:

The problem with that is that programme-sellers, the tea lady and the kit man can say they've been "involved in the game" for donkey's years. Doesn't necessarily mean they can manage a team.

Gibson may have picked up bits and pieces from the various managers he's hired, but that still in no way makes him qualified to make footballing decisions. He's a businessman, first and foremost. The sound financial running of the club is (or should be) his main priority. You hire managers (and/or sporting directors) to take care of the football side.

26 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Nice summary. Couldn't have put it better myself. 👍

• Thanks 1