• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who would have thought Gibson hiring his mates to do a job they were massively under qualified for would turn out like this

Now then lads, long time no speak!   I was sceptical that Woodgate got the job in the summer because Gibson was too short sighted to realise that getting the cheap option who’s not going to

Stinks of a post-Karanka Boro Championship special to me. Start slow, get outfought, concede an early goal thanks to a switched off defender. Two down just before half-time, or stays at one throu

Posted Images

Stinks of a post-Karanka Boro Championship special to me.

Start slow, get outfought, concede an early goal thanks to a switched off defender. Two down just before half-time, or stays at one through sheer luck.

Play a bit better in the second half, pull a goal back. Into last 10 minutes with four strikers on. Gestede misses a header from one yard and we lose/draw. 

Woody blames the ref or something and says we go again.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Recent form dictates that Barnsley are going to win. However, we have proved in the past that we can actually play a decent game. (We just don't come close to doing it on a consistent basis).

I think it depends on which team Woody puts out there. He needs to look at the team and formation that we played when we went on our December maga run and play as close to that as possible. Stop picking his favorites and look at what did actually work.

If he can do this then I actually think we could get 3 points from this game.

Edit. I was actually wondering if I could squeeze in another 'actually' somewhere.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, BoroAbroad said:

Recent form dictates that Barnsley are going to win.

Barring the win against Fulham, which I suppose is a big bar, Barnsley have been in bad form.

I think people are overegging them based on one result.

30 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Barring the win against Fulham, which I suppose is a big bar, Barnsley have been in bad form.

I think people are overegging them based on one result.

Not really I think we should consider Luton winning two on the spin, we always seem to allow others to continue a revival of some sort. Let's not gloss over the fact that we are still in very poor form and without a win since the turn of the year.

Barnsley will be looking forward to playing us and will attack at every opportunity.

I would suspect we could see the return of Shotton and if so we could have 3 players including Friend and Assombalonga on the pitch with very little game time under their belt.

Conundrum for Woodgate I suspect with regards to who he picks

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm honestly not that fussed about winning this particular game in terms of relegation. I think we just need to win game. If we lose this and win against Leeds for example, I still think we'll be fine. I still don't see this as a 6-pointer, so if we can pick up results in the home games, we should be fine.

Taking a great deal of solace from the stuff I pulled up about recent relegation battles in the Championship, I think.

It's interesting that mate, cos I'm of the opposite view.  I think this is a massive game for us.  I thought Luton was pretty big but I also felt oddly confident that we'd win it so it didn't quite have any edge for me.  This one to me feels quite different.  It's not merely that they are below us, which I'd say is a big enough deal anyway.  It's also that we've come through the Wigan and Luton games without playing well at all and with just the one point.  If we lose this one as well then that's a brutal mini run of it's own set in the wider context of not having won since New Years Day.  We also have to go to Charlton and Stoke in the next few weeks so things could look even more dicey than they already are in a relatively short space of time.  You're right that we need to find a win against anyone, a few wins actually, but you're also talking about picking up results at home just after we've lost at home against Luton.  Those are all reasons related to the league table but another defeat tomorrow would have greater repercussions than just that in terms of where the fans stand with Woodgate, the confidence levels of the squad etc.  

• Like 1
5 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm honestly not that fussed about winning this particular game in terms of relegation. I think we just need to win game. If we lose this and win against Leeds for example, I still think we'll be fine. I still don't see this as a 6-pointer, so if we can pick up results in the home games, we should be fine.

Taking a great deal of solace from the stuff I pulled up about recent relegation battles in the Championship, I think.

But you have to think that if we're going to win any more games, its going to be against the teams below / around us.

Unless the players are saving up all their effort for Leeds, Forest & Bristol...

Possible...albeit highly unlikely...

Top priority has to be team defence this game. Play tight on the back-end should build confidence on the attack.

Id look for a 5-2-3. Maybe Shotton gets a start at the back. Id drop Paddy and Howson as they just didn't show up last game. Insert Clayton and maybe Seville for cover. Up front go Tav and Morrison with Fletcher. Assombalonga and the other new guy havent shown they can keep pace. Get back to team defence. 

28 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Not really I think we should consider Luton winning two on the spin, we always seem to allow others to continue a revival of some sort. Let's not gloss over the fact that we are still in very poor form and without a win since the turn of the year.

Barnsley will be looking forward to playing us and will attack at every opportunity.

I would suspect we could see the return of Shotton and if so we could have 3 players including Friend and Assombalonga on the pitch with very little game time under their belt.

Conundrum for Woodgate I suspect with regards to who he picks

I suspect Woody just has all the squad numbers on a roulette wheel, gives it a spin, lobs a ping pong ball in and sees where it lands...

black and red ball GIF by South Park

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It's interesting that mate, cos I'm of the opposite view.  I think this is a massive game for us.  I thought Luton was pretty big but I also felt oddly confident that we'd win it so it didn't quite have any edge for me.  This one to me feels quite different.  It's not merely that they are below us, which I'd say is a big enough deal anyway.  It's also that we've come through the Wigan and Luton games without playing well at all and with just the one point.  If we lose this one as well then that's a brutal mini run of it's own set in the wider context of not having won since New Years Day.  We also have to go to Charlton and Stoke in the next few weeks so things could look even more dicey than they already are in a relatively short space of time.  You're right that we need to find a win against anyone, a few wins actually, but you're also talking about picking up results at home just after we've lost at home against Luton.  Those are all reasons related to the league table but another defeat tomorrow would have greater repercussions than just that in terms of where the fans stand with Woodgate, the confidence levels of the squad etc.  

Oh for sure, I take all that on board, the short and long-term effect of a loss tomorrow and how it affects how we'll perform or get results, sure. It's not all pointless. But I'd see a win tomorrow in the same as I would if our next win is against Leeds. In terms of survival, I think a point tomorrow is probably significant enough so long as we can get our act together for Leeds and beyond. I guess I just look at the last 2, look at the individual and collective motivation and expect very little tomorrow. Whilst I expect us to really get into Leeds at home, where the fans really want to put a dent in the opposition's promotion hopes. Tougher game but this team feels like it can win games if we're motivated to do it so maybe that could be the difference.

We'll see anyway, I hope that we win tomorrow anyway so the whole 'win here or win there' discussion is pretty pointless. And yeah, if we're not up for this one with the following we're taking, I can see a significant backlash for Woodgate too.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Oh for sure, I take all that on board, the short and long-term effect of a loss tomorrow and how it affects how we'll perform or get results, sure. It's not all pointless. But I'd see a win tomorrow in the same as I would if our next win is against Leeds. In terms of survival, I think a point tomorrow is probably significant enough so long as we can get our act together for Leeds and beyond. I guess I just look at the last 2, look at the individual and collective motivation and expect very little tomorrow. Whilst I expect us to really get into Leeds at home, where the fans really want to put a dent in the opposition's promotion hopes. Tougher game but this team feels like it can win games if we're motivated to do it so maybe that could be the difference.

We'll see anyway, I hope that we win tomorrow anyway so the whole 'win here or win there' discussion is pretty pointless. And yeah, if we're not up for this one with the following we're taking, I can see a significant backlash for Woodgate too.

Aye, similar to what happened to Mowbray 🙁