oneBoro Forum

Boro V Barnsley (A) 0-1

We had so much confidence after those 4 wins. But one defeat and it seems the entire thing has collapsed. Woodgate has no idea how to get us out of this - from what he and the players have said, his main advice seems to be go out and enjoy it. Attack when you can and when you need to defend, defend! Genius. 

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who would have thought Gibson hiring his mates to do a job they were massively under qualified for would turn out like this

Now then lads, long time no speak!   I was sceptical that Woodgate got the job in the summer because Gibson was too short sighted to realise that getting the cheap option who’s not going to

Stinks of a post-Karanka Boro Championship special to me. Start slow, get outfought, concede an early goal thanks to a switched off defender. Two down just before half-time, or stays at one throu

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

We had so much confidence after those 4 wins. But one defeat and it seems the entire thing has collapsed. Woodgate has no idea how to get us out of this - from what he and the players have said, his main advice seems to be go out and enjoy it. Attack when you can and when you need to defend, defend! Genius. 

Whatever he's saying, it seems the players aren't taking a blind bit of notice.

12 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It’s like a toddler on holiday with his parents who’ve gone into a bar to have a glass of sangria and left him to entertain himself by twisling the rods on the table football table. Most of the time the players are spun helplessly around as the ball rolls slowly towards the goal And past the keeper. Once the game is over, he asks his dad for another euro and the same thing happens again. 

His parents sit back with their drinks and ignore what’s going on  

Oh god! Now I've got this image in my head of the Riverside as a giant table football game. 🤣

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, White Band said:

I have worked for managers who didn't have a clue, and they made it almost impossible to do a good job. It was a case of pretending to do everything the manager was asking for when they were around, and then secretly doing all the things that were needed to keep the project going as soon as the manager wasn't around to notice. There was a lot of going into work first thing in the morning, wasting large amounts of time during the day on things the manager wanted, then going home and working until 1 or 2am on the stuff that really needed doing. It was a very ineffective way of working and the hours involved meant I was never working at my best. I hadn't thought about what the football equivalent might be like before.

I think you just have to watch Boro play to get a good idea... ☹️

11 hours ago, Boro Scot said:

You're absolutely right! I can't imagine pro footballers doing all of this stuff though. They just turn up at training time and do what they're told to do. Hence the results on match day. But you are absolutely spot on with your comparison with employees who can see past the *** and do a great job despite their manager

I'm guessing Woody has been watching a box set of The Office and getting his management ethos from David Brent.

11 hours ago, TAPOUT said:

I was told earlier this week he was in the Bahamas on holiday, which if I had his money is where I would be.

Its probably where his money is too...safe in a nice offshore account where HMRC can't get at it.

People wanted an improvement from Pulis, well this is worse. We now can't defend as well as not being able to attack. 

Throwing Gestede on as a plan B and hearing that Keane was bellowing at the team to 'throw it long' throughout the second half is not an improvement from the last regime. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, BoroJake said:

Throwing the young lads under the bus... Lovely

This is probably the straw that broke the camels back for me. I’ve been reluctant to criticise him despite the obvious flaws in what he’s been doing this season. But to come out with such a stupid statement is beyond belief. We are 3 off the bottom after all our games not just after games where he’s picked kids so his point is utter drivel. We’ve blatantly been a better team with the younger players than the experienced ones, god knows where we’d be if he’d never picked Spence, Tav or Coulson this season, probably already adrift at the bottom. 

no doubt it will be 3 or 4 changes midweek with a different formation and another random performance. Garry Monk in disguise. 

• Like 2

That was shocking yesterday the gameplan was the same BS lump it forward 'quickly' chase shadows and let the opposition crosses fly.

The playing young lads thing is a bit of a myth to be honest Spence got in because Dijksteel was long term crocked, Bola and Coulson were both in and out September through December then he went with Coulson full steam probably because of the switch to 5atb. Malley and Hackney got a look in pre season then were essentially binned off as being seriously considered, Walker got a couple of chances in December that's about it then was rightfully loaned out in January. Pears got in because like Karanka Woodgate does not trust Mejias in Championship matches and Randolph was crocked maybe Stojanovic will debut for us next season i League 1....

I'm actually concerned as to where the 3 wins we probably need to stay up are coming from. Before January it was "Gibson hung him out to dry in the summer" in terms of assembling a squad capable of promotion yes he did in terms of handing Woodgate a competitive squad capable of handily avoiding relkegation though? Come on. Then January was regarded as a 'good window' yet here we are a month later back to the god awful Woodgate displays of September/October/November I am very cynical he has any excuses left to use in his defence.

• Like 2

Abit like Pulis in the playoff season, when his hand was forced with selections we done well. As soon as the old guard are fit they are straight back in. Woodgate just sounds clueless, against Luton throwing on 4 strikers when it creating chances that was the problem. The comments about the youngsters have made my mind up about him, he’s thrown almost anyone and everyone under a bus this season when it’s his selections and substitutions which are the problem. Get someone like Warnock in while we have a chance.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Changing Times said:

If I understand this twitter malarky, it's just a broken link to this article (not story):

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-sleep-walking-towards-relegation-17796976

Decent article by Vickers, that. Shows a firey side. That comment by Lewis Wing saying he had these 3 games down as 9 points is pathetic and completely at odds with Woodgate's "Every game is a tough game" conclusion. You have to wonder whether it is just Woodgate or if there are some who are just as blase as I am about it. 😬

17 hours ago, BoroJake said:

Throwing the young lads under the bus... Lovely

Yeah, this really doesn't read well either. If he looked at the Luton game and thought the one thing he needed was his experienced players then he's daft. Coulson was the only one who actually had an okay game. Spence didn't have a great game against Luton but leaving him out of the squad because he thought Howson, the 2nd worst performer against Luton, would do the job better is pathetic.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sackrobson2 said:

This is probably the straw that broke the camels back for me. I’ve been reluctant to criticise him despite the obvious flaws in what he’s been doing this season. But to come out with such a stupid statement is beyond belief. We are 3 off the bottom after all our games not just after games where he’s picked kids so his point is utter drivel. We’ve blatantly been a better team with the younger players than the experienced ones, god knows where we’d be if he’d never picked Spence, Tav or Coulson this season, probably already adrift at the bottom. 

no doubt it will be 3 or 4 changes midweek with a different formation and another random performance. Garry Monk in disguise. 

Does this mean you'll be changing your name to "sackwoodgate"? 😁

20 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Decent article by Vickers, that. Shows a firey side. That comment by Lewis Wing saying he had these 3 games down as 9 points is pathetic and completely at odds with Woodgate's "Every game is a tough game" conclusion. You have to wonder whether it is just Woodgate or if there are some who are just as blase as I am about it. 😬

Yeah, this really doesn't read well either. If he looked at the Luton game and thought the one thing he needed was his experienced players then he's daft. Coulson was the only one who actually had an okay game. Spence didn't have a great game against Luton but leaving him out of the squad because he thought Howson, the 2nd worst performer against Luton, would do the job better is pathetic.

If that is indicative of the mentality of the squad, no wonder we are in such trouble.

Also liked that article by Vickers...think it echoes the sentiments of most fans.

4 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

The equally daft thing is that he's just watched them play poorly and lose and he still said it anyway.  He could have said he thought Coulson needed a rest or it was a tactical change or really anything.  But he gave that answer.

• Like 1