oneBoro Forum

Boro V Barnsley (A) 0-1

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who would have thought Gibson hiring his mates to do a job they were massively under qualified for would turn out like this

Now then lads, long time no speak!   I was sceptical that Woodgate got the job in the summer because Gibson was too short sighted to realise that getting the cheap option who’s not going to

Stinks of a post-Karanka Boro Championship special to me. Start slow, get outfought, concede an early goal thanks to a switched off defender. Two down just before half-time, or stays at one throu

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

If we'd stuck with last weeks starting 11, I don't think we'd have had a cat in hells chance of beating Barnsley, it was that poor.

Aside from that, you can't just name the same XI after a *** performance like that. You have to make a statement that says, "I'm not accepting that".

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Barnsley are going to roll us over with that lineup. I hope i'm proven wrong and Woodgate turns out to have pulled a masterstroke, but I can't see it. No pace whatsoever, is the plan just to sit back and try to break?

Either that or get the ball to Wingy and let him do 30-yard rocket shots all afternoon.

2 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Barnsley are going to roll us over with that lineup. I hope i'm proven wrong and Woodgate turns out to have pulled a masterstroke, but I can't see it. No pace whatsoever, is the plan just to sit back and try to break?

The problem is you've summed it up we haven't got the pace to break.

• Like 1

Supporting the Boro for many is such a test

Getting into a game and then seeing the result go west

Losing or drawing, never winning and seeing a goal fest

Is it any wonder that I never bother to watch us on Channel Quest!

Bah humbug! one day my patience will be rewarded

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Supporting the Boro for many is such a test

Getting into a game and then seeing the result go west

Losing or drawing, never winning and seeing a goal fest

Is it any wonder that I never bother to watch us on Channel Quest!

Bah humbug! one day my patience will be rewarded

Very good! 👍

Lets hope all our patience is rewarded...today, if possible...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm not talking about giving him credit over the long term. I'm saying that game was perhaps the best we've played this season and it was really good. That doesn't happen thanks to luck. West Brom didn't just let us win, we won the tactical battle by being set up tactically in favour of winning the game away at the league leaders. You won't even give him that which says your judgement of short-term victories is blinded by the long-term and the long-term is not something I'm disputing. You don't have to give him a resounding pat on the back for a whole season by allowing one match to be considered a genuine success.

Okay, I can see we disagree on that game.  I think he just lucked into a setup that worked. 

If he was a good enough coach to examine the opposition and set Boro up to counter their play, to attack and to win a game against one of the best teams in the league,  through his ability as a manager, then I'd suggest he should be able to against Luton.  Or a 10 man Wigan.  Or any of the other hugely disappointing games we've played this season.

There's 30 odd games this season that suggest he can't do that.  So yeah, the one time it really works is a fluke.

EDIT:  And today's line up is another random one.  No consensus here as to what that's supposed to be, though, like you I'd say it looks like Howson and Johnson as WBs.  

I don't think pace is everything, also even when we have a pacey side out we never seem to really exploit it. 

Times like this you do need some experienced heads in the team. It does look like the team I predicted apart from I had Coulson and Tav in instead of Johnson and Wing. 

Hopefully see a good game from ravel today. Im going 2 nil to boro today UTB 

2 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Tbf to Johnson is has had an ok season and his final ball isn't to bad 

I think Johnson has generally been one of our better players this season. Fans don't like him because he hadn't done well here previously. The timing of his red card was unfortunate because it turned fans against him again just as they had been starting to accept him a little bit more, and it's fashionable to hate him again.

• Like 2

• Latest Posts

• 1. Are you starting to feel optimistic about the season yet? Still no. We've beat arguably the two worst teams in the league. NW has had a huge slice of luck having this run of games, 2. Should Crooks and Payero be our midfield partnership from now on? Yes. I know Neil (and by extension, the Gazette) have been making a big deal out of it, but it is nice to see Crooks take Martin under his wing and hopefully that helps Martin acclimate a bit faster. 3. How many points do you expect from the next 3?  Cardiff (A), Birmingham(H), Luton(A) Honestly, 6 minimum - with their form, we should be looking to beat both Cardiff & Birmingham. Luton are a really decent team this year though, so I'd happily take a draw down there. 4. Who is the better manager out of Warnock and McCarthy? That's like asking what's the better pain, being punched in the face or the nads. 5. Starting 11 and formation?                         Lumley Howson - McNair - Bamba - Peltier                  Payero - Crooks Tavernier               -             Jones/Hernandez                   Watmore                            Sporar A 4231 / 424 style formation with Watmore playing just off Sporar. Think with how well they've been doing, Payero & Crooks have to stay together, and IMO Howson was much better at RB the other night than I've seen him be in CM in a long time. 6. Who scored the 2nd goal against Barnsley, Sol or Crooksy? Crooks I think, although it was very close!
    • Cardiff City vs Middlesbrough FC                                                              Saturday 23rd October – 12:30 pm (Sky Sports)                                                                              Cardiff City Stadium Current standings: Boro continue to climb up the table and we find ourselves in a reasonable 10th place. The Bluebirds are in free fall and Mick Mccarthy might be the most hated man in Cardiff right now. If he doesn't get something from this game he's most likely getting sacked. Views from various Cardiff City fans on social media/forums: "Weird that the bookies have us as favourites when we have lost 7 games in succession conceding 17 goals and scoring 1 and have the worst home record in the division. Fear we will get a draw and be stuck with MM." "1-1 if we are lucky and Boro are poor." "Much better yesterday, we need a bit of luck and maybe a fluky goal and the confidence will slowly return, we are better than those results show, McCarthy has been picking the wrong team for most of those games!" "I’d take Warnock back tomorrow." "Boro will be too streetwise, one of our ex players bound to score. Think I'd actually applaud Sol even if its a scruffy tap in, fair play to him." "If Bamba gets McCarthy sacked he’ll become Cardiff’s biggest ever legend" "I’ve been to our last 7 games home and away and seen us score 1 and concede 17. Much better performance tonight but still dire." "Mick McCarthy's recent record at Cardiff City... - Seven defeats in a row - Nine defeats in 10 - One goal in 630 minutes" "Boro will be an interesting game. Neil Warnock getting all the applause while Mick gets all the abuse. The way it should be" "It’s been 172 days since Cardiff last scored a goal in the first half" Questions: 1. Are you starting to feel optimistic about the season yet? 2. Should Crooks and Payero be our midfield partnership from now on? 3. How many points do you expect from the next 3?  Cardiff (A), Birmingham(H), Luton(A) 4. Who is the better manager out of Warnock and McCarthy? 5. Starting 11 and formation? 6. Who scored the 2nd goal against Barnsley, Sol or Crooksy?                                                         (These wins are coming fast so these threads are getting briefer 😁)  
    • In Tavs defence, what attacking coaches has he had to work with over the last few years?    Warnock, Pulis and Woodgate were hardly known for their attacking prowess. I’d say Robbie Keane would have taught him a thing or two but at 22 you can always develop and I’m sure with more chances he would get more composure.    Id probably say that the whole team could do with a prolonged period of dominance in games to get some more composure and match practice at shooting. Last nights game showed how in the final third we are so nervous in my opinion. Not just Tav but everyone. 
    • I think it was Patrick Kielty who once said that when non-Irish do Irish impersonations, its always the Cork accent they imitate. 😁
    • Just realised I've exactly the same games won/drawn/lost and points as Boro