oneBoro Forum

Should Jonathan Woodgate be sacked?

Should Woodgate be sacked?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should Woodgate be sacked?

I think it is crucial we get someone in as soon as possible to look at the strengths within the squad, get a system in place to play the percentage football the squad is built to play. We cannot keep drifting into increasing levels of mediocrity, with a change of formation every match. We need a pragmatic solution until the end of the season. I would go for Warnock. He wants to get to 1000 games and being based in Cornwall, I think would be happy just seeing this season out. The club then has breathing time to take things forward. That obviously carries risk and I understand the concerns of others that our track record isn’t great in that sphere but inertia cannot be an option.

Next season will be pretty much a blank canvas for a manager with so many gaps to fill in the squad. An amazing opportunity for someone who is focussed and determined to impose his blueprint and philosophy from the start. Not someone who changes like the wind. I doubt the players have a clue what he is trying to do. Then Coming on interviews and speaking with a fork tongue, telling the fans to blame him then the next sentence implying that playing youth has got us where we are. He is so much out of his depth its beyond a joke now. This experience is so far below Strachan levels it is unquantifiable.
Gibson obviously has to take his share of responsibility in this and is not beyond criticism. Maybe his passion for Boro has waned, who knows? But from a business perspective he has to see the road crash that is the Boro at the minute and realise that with this guy in charge we are going to see sub 10k crowds next year in League one. That cannot be a serious option, surely.

Family size Walkers Salt n vinegar.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steve Gibson's primary concern is to have total control and likes to see the club as his vehicle to give his mates jobs, which vicariously gives him power. Gibson, akin to his Tory leaning ways, is ob

This post absolutely nails it and is by far the biggest problem with the club. The Media are absolutely terrified to criticize the club and point the finger, afraid of being excluded from the club lik

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Woodgate has not put a baby in the bath water to throw out. Not even an embryo. He has not developed a style of play, settled team or delivered on his vision of

Posted Images

2 hours ago, estonpidge said:

I voted no, I'm in the minority but do feel he deserves a fair crack of the whip. Loads of injuries, inexperienced and trying to work within the new financial landscape.

We sacked Southgate too soon, let's not do the same again.  UTB

SALT N VINEGAR!

I agree that we sacked Southgate too soon and, although I'm very much in the minority, I honestly believe that he would have taken us back up that season.  However Woodgate is very different to Southgate. Whilst Southgate lacked experience and funds, he had the intelligence and understanding of planning and tactics. Woodgate does not and has not shown any signs of being able to learn from experience. There are reasons why Southgate has gone on to be one of the best England managers I can remember. Woodgate will never achieve that sort of level. Beyond being players who were appointed straight to their first managerial post with us, I don't think the two are really comparable. 

• Like 4

Just watched an interview on BT on YouTube. 

Presenter: "what is your footballing philosophy?"

JW: "I ..I wanna win the ball back quick. i wanna pass. I want aggressive players who run through the pitch. Erm I think that's really important to have energy in my team". 

From meeting the coaching team on boro youtube. 

"You'll see passion. You'll see a never say die. They wont give up. If they do give up, I'll let them know about it."

"I wanna see players who want to fight for the football club. Who wanna graft. Who wanna run. If my players are working as hard as they can and they give the sweat, blood and determination for this shirt and you as the fans. That's why I'm recruiting like that". 

"We are going with young, hungry, talented players". 

For me that says it all.  C l u e l e s s 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I still think some people need to re-direct their abuse a bit though. People royally going in on Woodgate whilst the man who lead the club to the brink of requiring him to be the manager is rarely mentioned by some. It's much less frequent on here I will say but I've mentioned before, over every radio phone-in I've heard where the 'Woodgate out' brigade comes on, I've heard one person suggest Gibson might be out of his depth (beyond the idea of keeping Woodgate in charge).

Just remember that Woodgate is a fall guy. I'm not gonna say it was inevitable that he'd fail but I completely understand why some would say that. In that scenario where he is an inevitable failure, why is he getting the pelters and not the man who put him in charge? Even if you take it that it was a decision made with financial incentives of cutting the wage bill down (vs. other options), you have to acknowledge why we needed to do that. There are far too many Boro fans out there who think Woodgate is the problem and that by getting rid of him, you solve the problem.

I think quite a few people on here have been pointing a finger at Gibson. However, the God-like status Gibson holds in many people's eyes can make it difficult to ask questions about him or scrutinise how he is doing in his role because it attracts such hostility.

I've said before that it sometimes feels like we are just a toy to Gibson. Just like a child with a new toy, he gave us a lot of attention at first. Then new toys like Rockliffe came along and were more interesting than us. Every so often he plays with us again for a little bit and then quickly loses interest again. We are not a priority to him. Also, his model of running a club has got very out of touch with the modern game. He has not kept up to date and developed as the game has changed. It was very obvious when we got promoted just how out of touch he was, as he tried to use strategies which would have been okay when we had last been there, but were totally inappropriate for was was needed in the new situation. 

I know we are unlikely to get it, but I would like honesty from the club - even if it means things that are painful to hear. As the white bands in my picture say, I want no more excuses. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, White Band said:

Also, his model of running a club has got very out of touch with the modern game. He has not kept up to date and developed as the game has changed. It was very obvious when we got promoted just how out of touch he was, as he tried to use strategies which would have been okay when we had last been there, but were totally inappropriate for was was needed in the new situation. 

I agree with this, when Gibson took over full control of the club he was passionate, forward thinking and ambitious. Now it feels like the game has passed him by. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, White Band said:

I think quite a few people on here have been pointing a finger at Gibson. However, the God-like status Gibson holds in many people's eyes can make it difficult to ask questions about him or scrutinise how he is doing in his role because it attracts such hostility.

They have mate, I acknowledged that in my post. It isn't as big a problem on this forum as it is off it. But it is also sometimes unfairly weighted on Woodgate, I think.

17 minutes ago, White Band said:

Also, his model of running a club has got very out of touch with the modern game. He has not kept up to date and developed as the game has changed. It was very obvious when we got promoted just how out of touch he was, as he tried to use strategies which would have been okay when we had last been there, but were totally inappropriate for was was needed in the new situation. 

Aye, you can see a bigger example of this at United too. The Glazers and Woodward together have no idea how to run a modern football club. They still think they can throw big money at players to solve their problems. Paul Pogba, £89m, yeah go on then. Do you know how you'll use him? Not really, he's good though innit? Angel Di Maria, Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, great players go there and if the manager doesn't get the pelters, the players do. Incredibly, United after Mourinho announced they would change tact, get a DoF in and hire a proven manager to be supported by them. Then they sack off the DoF and hire Solksjaer 'cause he had a good run of games.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I think those people are in the minority, I barely read any comments online or speak to people who think that Gibson isn't part of the problem. 

Just because our chairman is incompetent that isn't justification for sticking with a failing manager. 

My point is that I feel sticking or twisting will cause very little change in the long run so why bother wasting the money. If we're gonna fall, we're gonna fall regardless of who comes in. As above re: United, the manager isn't the problem and there are very few managers we can bring in who will be able to work in a broken system and provide anything positive.

Sacking Woodgate isn't a positive move in and of itself and I can't support it because what we can see right now is bad, I need something more concretely positive in what comes after to support it and I sincerely doubt that will happen unless an ITK comes on and tells us who's next in line if Woodgate goes. You said yourself if Woodgate goes it could be Friend or Hignett, is that a positive move? A captain with less experience in coaching than Woodgate or a twice failed National League manager?

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

My point is that I feel sticking or twisting will cause very little change in the long run so why bother wasting the money. If we're gonna fall, we're gonna fall regardless of who comes in. As above re: United, the manager isn't the problem and there are very few managers we can bring in who will be able to work in a broken system and provide anything positive.

Sacking Woodgate isn't a positive move in and of itself and I can't support it because what we can see right now is bad, I need something more concretely positive in what comes after to support it and I sincerely doubt that will happen unless an ITK comes on and tells us who's next in line if Woodgate goes. You said yourself if Woodgate goes it could be Friend or Hignett, is that a positive move? A captain with less experience in coaching than Woodgate or a twice failed National League manager?

It Is a mix thought as any qualified experienced manager would have this squad safe midtable not fighting a relagation battle. Then even if we somehow make it to the summer with Woodgate and survive relagation how on earth will he attract any half decent player to the club as if I was a player I wouldn't come as Woodgate simply can't coach therefore it's impossible we are never going to build anything with Woodgate so he has to go sooner the better as we are not going to get anywhere with him as boss. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

Just watched an interview on BT on YouTube. 

Presenter: "what is your footballing philosophy?"

JW: "I ..I wanna win the ball back quick. i wanna pass. I want aggressive players who run through the pitch. Erm I think that's really important to have energy in my team". 

From meeting the coaching team on boro youtube. 

"You'll see passion. You'll see a never say die. They wont give up. If they do give up, I'll let them know about it."

"I wanna see players who want to fight for the football club. Who wanna graft. Who wanna run. If my players are working as hard as they can and they give the sweat, blood and determination for this shirt and you as the fans. That's why I'm recruiting like that". 

"We are going with young, hungry, talented players". 

For me that says it all.  C l u e l e s s 

Hmm...to that I'd add utterly deluded.

He talks a good game, but hasn't anything like the coaching or man-management skills to back it up.

• Like 1

For me, he was never the right choice, he was the cheapest choice, and it could cost us millions if relagated, and at present, I fear we will be. Like anything in life, you buy economy burgers, you get gristle. You hire cheap Manager, you get relegation.

• Like 2

If we replace with someone like Warnock, I can see us becoming the Championship equivalent of Sunderland in the Prem. Scraping out of relegation and then being *** the next season, cue replace, rinse, repeat for 4 years until we eventually get relegated to League One. Netflix give us a special and we get relegated to League Two with Robbie Stockdale providing the mid-season filler content. League Two play-off final ends in despair as Richie Smallwood fails on his return to provide the positive captain's impact we hoped.

I'm over-dramatising of course but I can't see any significant positive impact until Gibson actually changes tact.

8 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

It Is a mix thought as any qualified experienced manager would have this squad safe midtable not fighting a relagation battle. Then even if we somehow make it to the summer with Woodgate and survive relagation how on earth will he attract any half decent player to the club as if I was a player I wouldn't come as Woodgate simply can't coach therefore it's impossible we are never going to build anything with Woodgate so he has to go sooner the better as we are not going to get anywhere with him as boss. 

My thoughts too.

We're gonna have to ditch Woodgate sooner or later. Its a question of when, not if.

The sooner we do it, the sooner we can set about resurrecting the club.

I accept the current financial situation means there's probably no point in cutting him loose just yet...but its got to happen in the next season or so.

And if Gibson thinks the club's financial position will improve in League 1, I'd like to know what he's been smoking.

• Like 2