• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steve Gibson's primary concern is to have total control and likes to see the club as his vehicle to give his mates jobs, which vicariously gives him power. Gibson, akin to his Tory leaning ways, is ob

This post absolutely nails it and is by far the biggest problem with the club. The Media are absolutely terrified to criticize the club and point the finger, afraid of being excluded from the club lik

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Woodgate has not put a baby in the bath water to throw out. Not even an embryo. He has not developed a style of play, settled team or delivered on his vision of

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, White Band said:

Why would Shotton suddenly do a second interview which provided different information to the first, unless he had been told to do so by the club?

Edit: his post match interview was very honest. The one in the Gazette has the appearance of ideas having been crafted by the club. Hence it is not surprising if people view it as propaganda. 

'Suddenly do a second interview'? Mate, the Gazette does separate interviews to BBC Tees, they ask different questions and BBC Tees don't have to report it, they're separate entities.

I know people don't trust the club at the moment but this is really in tin-foil hat territory.

1 minute ago, wilsoncgp said:

'Suddenly do a second interview'? Mate, the Gazette does separate interviews to BBC Tees, they ask different questions and BBC Tees don't have to report it, they're separate entities.

I know people don't trust the club at the moment but this is really in tin-foil hat territory.

He obviously gave the interview and the quotes within it.  

5 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

People on my facebook are saying he's gone?

No statements anywhere. I think people might be believing what they want to hear. I would take it with a very big pinch of salt unless something leaks out via a more reliable channel. 

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He obviously gave the interview and the quotes within it.  

Yes, but why has he done two interviews so close together and said such different things? That is what does not make sense to me.

11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

He could win on the tactics front by winning on the pitch, I would have thought that part was obvious?  We aren't winning on the pitch and the changes he chooses to make, not forced changes, don't seem to give us any improvement.  That's entirely down to him and he can be judged fairly on that without any mitigation.

If you believe the loss of Roberts has really hit us hard then I'm not sure exactly what that says about us or about your thinking on this.  Roberts has played in 4 games for us this season and we didn't win any of them but his loss has really hit us hard?  I'd like him to be available as well but I'm struggling to use him as an excuse for the season as a whole or even the season since he signed here on loan.  He looks a good player, no question, but he's not good enough to mask the rest of our problems.  Finally, Woodgate isn't being careful with his recovery.  He'll be back playing as soon as he's fit and able to, the same as every other player.  Friend had played two games this season for us, then after a reserve game and a friendly he was back in the starting line up.

I was commenting on the fact someone has said he's not stuck to his guns with a 4-3-3 throughout the season when plenty of people were also very early on criticising him for not changing from it. That's where I'm saying he can't win.

Roberts came in early, we got it tied up ASAP, it's clear he was a significant part of our plans for the rest of this season and his performances on the pitch showed that. No, his absence doesn't excuse the rest of the team or the tactics but it has hit our plans hard clearly, we don't have another player like him at the club and haven't had one like that since Ramirez left.

I've no idea why you think he isn't being careful with Roberts just because Friend forced himself back quickly at a time when we were desperate for players. Friend got himself injured again and said himself in his post-match interview against Luton that he held some responsibility for declaring himself fit. It's not like Friend came back as soon as he was fit to play again recently, nor Shotton. They were in U23 games for a week or so before they were declared fit for the first team. Friend went back into the team against Luton but then Fry had to drop out too so it was gonna be him, Shotton or McNair.

2 minutes ago, White Band said:

Why would Shotton suddenly do a second interview which provided different information to the first, unless he had been told to do so by the club?

Only one consistent message or viewpoint is allowed or accepted by the club, if anyone goes off script the club has an approved method to make sure that miss understanding or misinterpretations are quickly qualified so that the message stays the same.

In today’s world of being a supporter of MFC it’s important to realise that an understanding of key words and their true meanings is needed, also who is giving out the information and what are their motivations. Add to this which sources such as the Gazette/Radio Tees are  corroborating the message.

These were the basic skills we were taught when evaluating any evidence, be it political or historical, nowadays you need them just to be able to understand anything regarding MFC.

Oh wouldn’t it be great to go back to an honest report after a bad match where we are told the manager and the squad exchanged a frank difference of opinions.

2 minutes ago, White Band said:

Yes, but why has he done two interviews so close together and said such different things? That is what does not make sense to me.

Has he said such different things? Like what?

Just now, White Band said:

It's probably one whole interview.  The don't use all of the interview in one go, they select quotes for different articles.  The initial articles are match reaction types.  The article a couple of days after is a more general piece, that's how they do it every week pretty much, and the quotes they use will be different because the article is different.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

Woodgate can't win on the tactics front. He was forced to change from his preferred style when injuries and results hit us hard at the early point in the season. We shored up a leaky defence and gradually started playing better towards the end of last year, the Hull game in particular was one game which, prior to Johnson's sending off, was much better than we'd played prior to that, it was the beginning of a turnaround in form and results. Charlton at home was incredibly only a 1-goal win but things got worse as Britt went off injured and young Walker couldn't wrap it up. We got a couple of important wins, then a couple of really good wins and then we hit the New Year.

Players only recently started coming back into the side in the last month as we brought new boys in and Woodgate was determined to go back to his preferred style, but he has only just recently had the chance to do that, when we started looking safer. Don't get me wrong, the last 3 have been dreadfully managed and the team look void of motivation and guts, the subs have been dreadful in terms of changing tact. But I'm not gonna call Woodgate out on not sticking with his 4-3-3 all the way through. Everybody wanted him to change it back then and now want to criticise him for not sticking to his guns the whole way through when it wasn't working and we weren't winning. Everyone felt getting a couple of wins on board was important (we had only 1 at that point) and during that time, his options became more limited and we were stuck in a formation he was getting more out of but ultimately wasn't one he wanted to play.

I think the loss of Roberts has really hit us too. He's the kind of player we need if we're gonna go back to 4-3-3 and be effective. The sooner we get him back, the better it should be for us. Unsurprisingly, Woodgate is being careful with his recovery so as to avoid any further injury.

I completely see your point but it's clear as day to everyone who watches us that certain tactics simply don't work for us, yet he has gone back to them for arguably our 3 most important games of the season and we have got 1 point and been dragged back into it.

It's either naivety or incompetence but there is a fairly solid evidence to the argument that he has only ever got a winning side when he was forced into certain tactics/line up choices.

Doesn't he have the worst record of any permanent manager at the club now? From a side that finishes 7th and has hardly been decimated. He has to go for me

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I completely see your point but it's clear as day to everyone who watches us that certain tactics simply don't work for us, yet he has gone back to them for arguably our 3 most important games of the season and we have got 1 point and been dragged back into it.

It's either naivety or incompetence but there is a fairly solid evidence to the argument that he has only ever got a winning side when he was forced into certain tactics/line up choices.

Doesn't he have the worst record of any permanent manager at the club now? From a side that finishes 7th and has hardly been decimated. He has to go for me

I'm not discounting those points mate, again, I'm saying he can't win when people who criticise him for not changing will just as easily criticise him for changing. As CT says, he's never gonna win fans over unless he wins games on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm not discounting those points mate, again, I'm saying he can't win when people who criticise him for not changing will just as easily criticise him for changing. As CT says, he's never gonna win fans over unless he wins games on the pitch.

Not changing is definitely not the issue, he tinkers more than any manager we have had for years but yeah results are what matter and we don't look even close to getting them currently

14 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I was commenting on the fact someone has said he's not stuck to his guns with a 4-3-3 throughout the season when plenty of people were also very early on criticising him for not changing from it. That's where I'm saying he can't win.

Roberts came in early, we got it tied up ASAP, it's clear he was a significant part of our plans for the rest of this season and his performances on the pitch showed that. No, his absence doesn't excuse the rest of the team or the tactics but it has hit our plans hard clearly, we don't have another player like him at the club and haven't had one like that since Ramirez left.

I've no idea why you think he isn't being careful with Roberts just because Friend forced himself back quickly at a time when we were desperate for players. Friend got himself injured again and said himself in his post-match interview against Luton that he held some responsibility for declaring himself fit. It's not like Friend came back as soon as he was fit to play again recently, nor Shotton. They were in U23 games for a week or so before they were declared fit for the first team. Friend went back into the team against Luton but then Fry had to drop out too so it was gonna be him, Shotton or McNair.

I know what you were commenting on and I replied to it.  He can win by winning on the pitch.  It's as simple as that.  

Roberts came in when he came in.  I'm sure we would like him to be available for every game but he's one player and I'm sorry but no I don't accept that his absence has hit us really hard.

I think he isn't being careful because there's absolutely no reason to suggest that he is.  You've decided something is happening without any basis for it for whatever reason.  I used Friend as an example because he has barely played this season at all, yet he started training, played a game or two in the reserves, and then was straight back into the side. That doesn't suggest to me that we are being overly careful with anyone.  We'll play anyone when they are fit to play and as soon as Roberts is available then he'll be back in.

Edit - Just to be clear, that isn't simply down to Woodgate, with a different manager I dare say we'd take the same approach to players returning from injury.