oneBoro Forum

Should Jonathan Woodgate be sacked?

Should Woodgate be sacked?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should Woodgate be sacked?

He has to go.

I appreciate that there have been historical mistakes that have lead to an unbalanced squad but this team is still under performing.

We set up with little shape and it looks like the players have no concept of what their roles in the team are. 

The bench look like Mike Bassett and his team of clueless no hopers. 

This squad is better than results and performances are showing and that is down the the management team.

• Like 2
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steve Gibson's primary concern is to have total control and likes to see the club as his vehicle to give his mates jobs, which vicariously gives him power. Gibson, akin to his Tory leaning ways, is ob

This post absolutely nails it and is by far the biggest problem with the club. The Media are absolutely terrified to criticize the club and point the finger, afraid of being excluded from the club lik

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Woodgate has not put a baby in the bath water to throw out. Not even an embryo. He has not developed a style of play, settled team or delivered on his vision of

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I know what you were commenting on and I replied to it.  He can win by winning on the pitch.  It's as simple as that.  

You didn't though, I wrote 2 paragraphs on how the changes unfolded and how people commonly discussed how he needed to make changes early on whilst some are now saying he shouldn't have changed. You said his changes recently are up for discussion because they are of his choice and we aren't improving and I literally never denied that. I'm saying it's doublespeak to both criticise him for doing and not doing something referencing the same points in time and you've changed that into a discussion about how we can criticise his changes like I've said nobody can... I can only conclude you simply want to have an argument with a fence post at the moment.

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I can't tell whether it's interesting or utterly empty to hear Shotton say Woodgate is 'the best manager he's ever worked with'. Obviously he's never gonna throw him under a bus but that shows some lack of character to so fundamentally lie like that for the sake of a few people thinking he might actually be alright. That is if he is lying.

If you've read the full article, and I'm sure you have, it feels more like he's just giving the answers people want to here tbh.  He talks about us needing a change in mentality and that you need to know how to fight.  Then later on he says that Barnsley didn't want it more than us but that we lacked quality and decision making.  He's contradicting himself although I don't think he meant to, he's just not a public speaker, he's a footballer being hit with questions after a disappointing defeat and he's trying to say the right things.

• Like 1

The changing of formation isn't the problem with Woody. I can understand why he has played both 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 for various circumstances. However the players constantly look totally lost and there is zero cohesion in what we are seemingly trying to do on the pitch. There is just no improvement at all like the players don't know what is expected of them. It looks like he's just sending them out to play 10 individual games. And it's everything from pressing, marking and attacking play. It's just completely random and it's very evident that he hasn't got the tools to put his points across - or simply doesn't have a clue at all. I'm leaning towards the latter.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

If you've read the full article, and I'm sure you have, it feels more like he's just giving the answers people want to here tbh.  He talks about us needing a change in mentality and that you need to know how to fight.  Then later on he says that Barnsley didn't want it more than us but that we lacked quality and decision making.  He's contradicting himself although I don't think he meant to, he's just not a public speaker, he's a footballer being hit with questions after a disappointing defeat and he's trying to say the right things.

Thats just par for the course and goes for any sports team. They're happy to talk about anything when things are going well, but stick rigidly to the script when the *** hits the fan (and if they do try to be honest they end up contradicting themselves, as you saw).

I wouldn't expect to get any sense out of anyone at the club, until the after the other shoe has dropped and we either get relegated, get a new manager, or both.

The truth tends to only come out long after the dust has settled.

9 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

You didn't though, I wrote 2 paragraphs on how the changes unfolded and how people commonly discussed how he needed to make changes early on whilst some are now saying he shouldn't have changed. You said his changes recently are up for discussion because they are of his choice and we aren't improving and I literally never denied that. I'm saying it's doublespeak to both criticise him for doing and not doing something referencing the same points in time and you've changed that into a discussion about how we can criticise his changes like I've said nobody can... I can only conclude you simply want to have an argument with a fence post at the moment.

Hold on a second, just stop right there please. Rather than pull out the argument crap or the tin foil crap or whatever, why not take the point of view that perhaps people just disagree with you and they aren't doing it to be arsey.  It's getting a bit tedious now mate as you seem to think it's your right to say whatever you like unchallenged.

I didn't say his changes recently are up for discussion because they are of his choice.  I never said anything about recent decisions at all. I said the decisions he has chosen to make, those not forced upon him, whenever he made them, are up for discussion and that those changes haven't lead to any improvement.  We can focus on the latest ones if you like but I'd say that's a season long thing, it's not like we weren't making changes earlier in the season because let's face it, we changed dramatically right at the start of the season, before any injuries occurred.  I mean we moved away from what appeared to be his preferred way of playing after about a 135 mins of football - it had bugger all to do with injuries and it had nothing to with results as we hadn't really played any games!   A draw at Luton and 45 mins against Brentford?  He panicked and made changes because he wanted to not because his hand was forced.  So, he can win in this discussion by winning on the pitch, now, then, whenever.  We aren't winning on the pitch, his changes haven't tended to work and that's the issue.  You're trying to turn it into a 'he can't win' scenario because you're trying to defend him.  That's your prerogative just as it's mine to point out that it's ***.  Ok?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You're trying to turn it into a 'he can't win' scenario because you're trying to defend him.

And that's where this topic ends. You're not challenging what I've said, you're not countering my point of doublespeak, you're making a point to disagree with me over a point I've not even made. Once again you've said:

his changes haven't tended to work and that's the issue

Something if you'll take note of what I've said above, I actually agree with. So what on earth are you banging on about saying I think I can get away with saying something unchallenged? Perhaps if you'd challenged it to begin with, we wouldn't even be having this completely pointless argument.

59 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

He has to go.

I appreciate that there have been historical mistakes that have lead to an unbalanced squad but this team is still under performing.

We set up with little shape and it looks like the players have no concept of what their roles in the team are. 

The bench look like Mike Bassett and his team of clueless no hopers. 

This squad is better than results and performances are showing and that is down the the management team.

Four Four Fooking Two...... lol

• Haha 1

It’s probably a whole topic in itself, but a poster above made a good point regarding changes.

Back when football was played with rules you could understand and debate without the need to resort to a pen n a bit of paper your 1st team was known and in game substitutions were for broken limbs or for the very occasional red card. Nowadays it’s a squad game with more possible permutations than a parmo now comes in, but surely in this day and age if a change is needed and it's not forced the folk that go regularly should be able to understand why it’s being made and what results the changes are supposed to bring.

sadly its been a long time since I feel what our best formation is, what our 1st choice lineup should be and how we should use unenforceable changes to win matches has been known to anyone in the management team with any consistency longer than a blown whistle.

• Like 1