oneBoro Forum

Should Jonathan Woodgate be sacked?

Should Woodgate be sacked?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should Woodgate be sacked?

Going down with Southgate? He didnt pull the plug. 

Going down with Agnew? He didnt pull the plug. 

Going down with Woodgate?...

Unfortunately we know the outcome. I've just accepted it now. It feels like I'm on the deck of the titanic and there are no more life boats left.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steve Gibson's primary concern is to have total control and likes to see the club as his vehicle to give his mates jobs, which vicariously gives him power. Gibson, akin to his Tory leaning ways, is ob

This post absolutely nails it and is by far the biggest problem with the club. The Media are absolutely terrified to criticize the club and point the finger, afraid of being excluded from the club lik

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Woodgate has not put a baby in the bath water to throw out. Not even an embryo. He has not developed a style of play, settled team or delivered on his vision of

Posted Images

So Woody is still with us. SG is stubborn and will go down with the ship rather than admit he was wrong again, expected really. 
Eric Paylor, what utter trash he spouts. I don’t often read EG but glanced at it because I expected some news on Woody. News as in declaring support or sacked but news of some description. I read Eric take on the situation and asked myself, was this written for him, let’s say by SG himself. I love the statement of Woody and the lessons he learnt, games needed recovering from injuries, team picking itself and of course the youth. Honestly I read much better arguments on the forum then Eric proposed. 
Seasons come and go but we seem stuck in a cycle waiting in hope for one to end and a new to start. Such is our demise over the period of time the club is becoming irrelevant, almost accepted as being a past era and I’m angry about the situation because it effects the community. When I go out over the weekends or among family and friends I don’t hear people talking about the club, in fact people almost avoid the issue out of embarrassment. I don’t see children wearing BORO tops either. Have we or are we watching BORO being laid to rest. 

• Like 2

Once Managers lose the crowd they don't recover from it and regain support. A fresh Manager generally starts off with goodwill but unfortunately after Pulis many fans were in a very dark place and the club needed something special and someone to lift, inspire and unify. Unfortunately Woodgate wasn't then and isn't now the answer. It was very poor judgement on the part of SG to think that he had the ability to do the job but even worse considering there was very vocal dissent against even the suggestion of him becoming Manager on social media for weeks before the announcement. Trying to hype it up with the "outstanding candidate" nonsense  and Dijksteel being his number one PowerPoint target just made it blindingly obvious the fans were being duped. That the local media were willing to sell their souls in pretending to be fully behind this great new vision left a very sour taste with many, damaging their own integrity and professionalism in the process. Fooling some of the people some of the time was never going to be the basis for a successful business model. Starting off from that juncture, then Woodgate not being backed by signings of the quality required along with his obvious lack of key skill abilities meant that where we are now was blindingly inevitable. Not having all the fans on board from the off and indeed with many very much against the appointment meant that when the time came it wasn't going to take much to get the pitchforks and hay bales burning. Getting a Venables type mentor in is pointless, it would be only papering over the widening cracks and besides its far too late for that. As I said at the start of this piece, once Managers lose the crowd they don't recover and regain support the danger now is that SG himself is sailing close to losing the crowd.

• Like 5
6 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Once Managers lose the crowd they don't recover from it and regain support. A fresh Manager generally starts off with goodwill but unfortunately after Pulis many fans were in a very dark place and the club needed something special and someone to lift, inspire and unify. Unfortunately Woodgate wasn't then and isn't now the answer. It was very poor judgement on the part of SG to think that he had the ability to do the job but even worse considering there was very vocal dissent against even the suggestion of him becoming Manager on social media for weeks before the announcement

Whilst I agree with the sentiments here, I think fans have been very patient with Woodgate  - far more so than they would have been with anyone else. Despite the feelings about his appointment, fans were prepared to get behind him and give him a chance once appointed. For a different manager the crowd would have turned back in early November,  but many continued to give him a chance to start learning from mistakes and build the skills needed for success. Having given him so long, it is now obvious to everyone apart from Gibson that Woodgate is not going to learn and develop in the way needed. It is therefore no surprise that the crowd have turned and that a lot of people are holding Gibson responsible for the problems.

• Like 2

Fully agree about him being given more patience than normal, including from those who never wanted him in the vague hope that they may be surprised. Had SG given him the same level of support he may have done better although I very much doubt it, the more resources in terms of playing personnel he had at his disposal the worse a mess he made of it. Next two home games live on the box and I'm guessing that if things get worse SG won't be too pleased to see his image tarnished on national TV by the crowd hurling insulting chants at the bench. I can just hear the Leeds fans now chanting about Woodgate being a White when they are three nil up and the South Stand response may not be suitable for family viewing!

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Can't see Woodgate being sacked today, much more likely McCLaren is being brought in to assist him a la Venables and Robson that one time.

To be honest, I'm wondering if even that would work now.

It seems like a number of players are in a similar place to the fans...fed up with the club and just waiting to see out their contracts, before moving on.

• Like 1

Let's be real Woodgate has to perform a mirical and beat either Leeds or Forrest for him to keep his job anything less Boro will most likely be in the relagation zone and with 10 games left Gibson will have to take action!

• Like 1
Just now, DurhamRed said:

Let's be real Woodgate has to perform a mirical and beat either Leeds or Forrest for him to keep his job anything less Boro will most likely be in the relagation zone and with 10 games left Gibson will have to take action!

Except he won't though, will he. He'll just accept the relegation and we'll go again next year in league 1.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
35 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Except he won't though, will he. He'll just accept the relegation and we'll go again next year in league 1.

Agree and the cycle will continue hoping for the end of this season and the start of something new. The real issue being crowds diminish and fair play rules mean we have  little investment and hence the downward spiral. 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Once Managers lose the crowd they don't recover from it and regain support. A fresh Manager generally starts off with goodwill but unfortunately after Pulis many fans were in a very dark place and the club needed something special and someone to lift, inspire and unify. Unfortunately Woodgate wasn't then and isn't now the answer. It was very poor judgement on the part of SG to think that he had the ability to do the job but even worse considering there was very vocal dissent against even the suggestion of him becoming Manager on social media for weeks before the announcement. Trying to hype it up with the "outstanding candidate" nonsense  and Dijksteel being his number one PowerPoint target just made it blindingly obvious the fans were being duped. That the local media were willing to sell their souls in pretending to be fully behind this great new vision left a very sour taste with many, damaging their own integrity and professionalism in the process. Fooling some of the people some of the time was never going to be the basis for a successful business model. Starting off from that juncture, then Woodgate not being backed by signings of the quality required along with his obvious lack of key skill abilities meant that where we are now was blindingly inevitable. Not having all the fans on board from the off and indeed with many very much against the appointment meant that when the time came it wasn't going to take much to get the pitchforks and hay bales burning. Getting a Venables type mentor in is pointless, it would be only papering over the widening cracks and besides its far too late for that. As I said at the start of this piece, once Managers lose the crowd they don't recover and regain support the danger now is that SG himself is sailing close to losing the crowd.

Agree with most of what you state apart from Woody not being backed, he was but sat his choices on the bench and sent others on loan. The second I disagree with being the fans. I did not approve of his appointment but like others give Woody much more time than ANY other manger has been given. I do not feel sorry for Woody because he promoted his product and when failing started to blame the players and it’s not something Northeners do, no we admit to our failings gain support and move on. Woody was never man enough to accept he was not capable, talked himself up and took the financial rewards. Listen I’m not saying there was not good intent and I’m not saying people can’t learn, but what I’m stating is first you need to learn and admit mistakes. I don’t see any of the signs other than he is still trying to big it up. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't even say the crowd has turned too much, even during the Luton game it was just low and quiet, it wasn't quite a vile or horrible atmosphere for the players. Barring the displays for Grant and Ali, the biggest input from the stands was the ovation Spence got walking round the stands after he was subbed.

I suspect tomorrow will be different if the lads put on the same gutless display. The fans won't accept that against Leeds and Woodgate will feel the full brunt of it if Leeds thrash us because we're not up for the fight.

His team selection after bigging up the experienced lads who've failed to give him anything (and either blaming himself for picking them or just the young players in general on the current position in the table) will be gone over with a chainsaw. If he goes for a similar team again and it fails, I sincerely think it may be the last straw for many and I've no doubt I'll have a few words to say myself.

EDIT: I should say there was relatively significant booing at half time and full time, of course. Just generally during the game, things could be worse.

Edited by wilsoncgp
  • Like 2

I think he will put the kids back in. I don’t think the crowd will get on their backs as much as if he went for experience and they played like that have been doing. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Clayton back in to steady the midfield and Fletcher up front on his own. 

20 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Clayton ought to start, he’s played in 7 of our 8 wins this season. A draw would be a very good result for Woodgate and the best way to ensure that is to keep things tight in defence. 

Yep. I think we have only kept something like 7 clean sheets this season and our wins came in those games.

We are the lowest scorers in the division so it if vital to keep things tight. Every point counts at this stage. We just cant get walloped.