oneBoro Forum

Should Jonathan Woodgate be sacked?

Should Woodgate be sacked?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should Woodgate be sacked?

12 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I don't think the squad is better than our league position. People will argue some individuals might have shown greater ability in the past but not now. Can't wait for the rebuild. 

If that is the case then arguably Woodgate shouldn't be held responsible. I don't agree though, this is at the very least a mid-table side. It's not balanced with quality across it, at the top end of the pitch there is a distinct lack of a player or two who can forge something out of nothing (besides seemingly Roberts) but there is enough there to be comfortable of avoiding the drop.

• Like 2
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steve Gibson's primary concern is to have total control and likes to see the club as his vehicle to give his mates jobs, which vicariously gives him power. Gibson, akin to his Tory leaning ways, is ob

This post absolutely nails it and is by far the biggest problem with the club. The Media are absolutely terrified to criticize the club and point the finger, afraid of being excluded from the club lik

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Woodgate has not put a baby in the bath water to throw out. Not even an embryo. He has not developed a style of play, settled team or delivered on his vision of

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I don't think the squad is better than our league position. People will argue some individuals might have shown greater ability in the past but not now. Can't wait for the rebuild. 

That would suggest Woodgate is doing a fine job with the tools at hand.  And that Pulis was a miracle worker.  Neither of which is true.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

If that is the case then arguably Woodgate shouldn't be held responsible. I don't agree though, this is at the very least a mid-table side. It's not balanced with quality across it, at the top end of the pitch there is a distinct lack of a player or two who can forge something out of nothing (besides seemingly Roberts) but there is enough there to be comfortable of avoiding the drop.

Agree, we have an unbalanced squad but a half decent manager would still have us sat around mid table in my opinion because we've got some decent Championship players. 

Woodgate has also had two windows now to address the unbalance so he's not totally blameless. 

For people saying our 40 odd million pound squad is crap I mean Mowbray took this lot to 16th...

https://football.fandom.com/wiki/Middlesbrough_FC_Squad,_2012-13

Like we can debate if players are worth the x y z we paid for them but the guy who thought they were worth that is Gibson. He was backed in January with a recently successful Preston loanee striker/winger, a Champions league experienced player in Roberts and a guy who nearly joined Villa last year for 7 million in Moukoudi it's not like he was handed dregs from the bottom of the barrel.

I really hesitate to blame players for our mess when our manager sends them out week after week with the intent to concede 20+ crosses and cede 60+% possession to opposition home and away I really do not put alot of blame onto individuals seeing the tactical mess they're sent out with. A competent manager would have this squad 10th maybe higher if Dijksteel, Bola and Browne were fit/lived up to the billing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BillinghamBoro said:

I still don't understand how he's in a job. I genuinely don't think any other club in this division would have kept him in a job producing the results he has. Were the only club I know of that seemingly awards incompetence and failure by keeping him in a job

If the people that employ him and provide him with the wherewithal to do the job know that this is the best that can be expected from him then to sack him would be an outrageous decision imo.

However the position that we are in call into question those who have made the decisions that have resulted in where we are today. Mr Gibson Owns the club and can run it in anyway he wants to, but is he the only one left that thinks the position we are currently in is just based on recent decisions rather than a series of bad decisions that have led us to this point.

I want a safe secure club to watch and support till I die and know that my kids can do the same, if the decisions Mr Gibson has made secure this then that’s great, however after years of silence from him and no clear understanding of the true position we are in, how can anyone move forward with any certainty that this is just an understandable short term blip, rather than the result of terrible decisions and ineffectual application of them from both the playing side and the boardroom.

29 minutes ago, macapes said:

Woodgate Presser

I was most pleased that we matched Leeds. (not true)

Disappointed with the result but we matched them. (nope. 2 shots, no goals)

We concentrate on ourselves and do the right thing. (which would be quitting)

I thought the energy was there as a team. (means nothing)

I thought the workrate was there and the desire was there. (shame about the last few games)

I thought Hayden was very good. (yep)

The buck stops with me, I’m the manager and I take the pressure.

I’m the one who takes it on the chin and I try to take the pressure off my players.

I said as soon as I got this job that there was pressure.  (pressure, pressure, pressure)

By throwing them under the bus??

He's literally saying anything now. It's like the climactic scene in every Line of Duty series, when the bent copper is sat in the interrogation room texting "EXTRACT NOW" into their phone under the desk, starting to sweat as their carefully constructed world falls apart under a barrage of unblinking Adrian Dunbar stares. It never ends well, and it won't here, either.

Woodgate has lost the fans (see poll at top of page for proof), if not the sycophantic press who really ought to have waterboarded him but can't seem to grow a pair between them. He's a dead man limping.

• Like 1

He told a disgruntled fan in Nunthorpe who questioned his experience as a manager that they should think about the the challenges Gareth overcome here to become a Manager for England and manage in a World Cup Semi Final and that patience and endeavor is required with a new project.

The man is seriously out of his depth.

7 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Agree, we have an unbalanced squad but a half decent manager would still have us sat around mid table in my opinion because we've got some decent Championship players. 

Woodgate has also had two windows now to address the unbalance so he's not totally blameless. 

Meh, he's had sod all to spend vs. his predecessors. The money has gone on players we didn't need before he signed as manager and we've spent a long time trying to move some of the big earners out, seemingly. And given his experience, he needs a bloody good recruitment team behind him to really help him and the evidence long before he came in is that's just not the case, we don't have that. Whatever blame he takes on board for recruitment is pretty irrelevant in the full-scale picture of judging Woodgate's time in the job, for me.

Sleepwalking towards relegation with a squad of players that think they're better than they are, a completely delusional rookie manager who at this point is basically sticking his fingers in his ears and going "la la la can't hear you" and an arrogant chairman who refuses to accept modern football and will kill this club as a result.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Sleepwalking towards relegation with a squad of players that think they're better than they are, a completely delusional rookie manager who at this point is basically sticking his fingers in his ears and going "la la la can't hear you" and an arrogant chairman who refuses to accept modern football and will kill this club as a result.

Apart from the last eight words, this is a perfect summation of where we're at. We won't die - we'll just languish in third-tier obscurity like so many fallen PL giants who thought they were too big to end up in the final hour of Quest's highlights show.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Also when completing your pb the powers that be will ask whether or not you can add to the business moving ahead and be a real asset and have that little spark towards being one to watch

Can the same apply with regards JW and MFC honestly?

I believe I now know the answers, Gibson and Woodgate appear to differ with every other business mould.

This will turn toxic the longer it goes and eventually MFC will realise we are not mugs.

The only glimmer of hope they have is that they will not drive sufficient fans away and that many will come back if there is an improvement, and this will apply to any league we will be playing in

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Apart from the last eight words, this is a perfect summation of where we're at. We won't die - we'll just languish in third-tier obscurity like so many fallen PL giants who thought they were too big to end up in the final hour of Quest's highlights show.

Oh does this mean my quest is still on?:classic_blink: