oneBoro Forum

Should Jonathan Woodgate be sacked?

Should Woodgate be sacked?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should Woodgate be sacked?

We’ve allowed ourselves to get into a position where 7 senior players are out of contract at the end of the season and we’ve been been open to selling any others if an offer came in - and we’re now relying on the majority of those to keep us up. I thought Pulis had come in a to oversee a complete overhaul of the club and had left us in a good position? It’s a shambles.
Woodgate hasn’t improved one single senior player this season. His buys haven’t improved the team and have been sent back to where we bought them and those promising youngsters who he has given a chance are now being hung out to dry. How does Gibson expect him to overhaul and improve the squad next season? He has shown zero aptitude for it. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steve Gibson's primary concern is to have total control and likes to see the club as his vehicle to give his mates jobs, which vicariously gives him power. Gibson, akin to his Tory leaning ways, is ob

This post absolutely nails it and is by far the biggest problem with the club. The Media are absolutely terrified to criticize the club and point the finger, afraid of being excluded from the club lik

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Woodgate has not put a baby in the bath water to throw out. Not even an embryo. He has not developed a style of play, settled team or delivered on his vision of

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Only Buzz Lightyear will do especially with his well know phrase (up. up and away from relegation) or was that someone else?

I think in our case its more like, "To obscurity and beyond!"

2 hours ago, Bennyboy137 said:

I keep checking back every few hours expecting to see he has stepped down. I just don’t see how his position is tenable with fans turning on the team and the players seemingly not playing for him anymore.

Save yourself the bother. I think we're stuck with him at least until the end of the season.

If we do go down, Gibson may consider replacing him...OTOH he may decide to stick with Woody and let us languish in League 1 until he feels like spending more money, or selling the club.

Makes no sense to me...I mean theres a reason clubs fight like hell to avoid relegation. But thats where we seem to be as of now.

1 hour ago, TAPOUT said:

Well we will have to agree to disagree. Woodgate has not put a baby in the bath water to throw out. Not even an embryo. He has not developed a style of play, settled team or delivered on his vision of a scoring attacking team. His signings have gone back to the clubs they were signed from and he is happy to make the kids scapegoats, despite their energy bailing him out over Christmas. In addition to this according to SDS he has lost the dressing room and theres infighting within the coaching set up. I am not sure how keeping him brings anything positive but its all about opinions I suppose.

With any luck his situation will become so untenable that he'll jump before he's pushed. Or the coaches will resign and Gibson will be forced to sit up and take notice of just how bad things have become (even if it is from his sun lounger in the Bahamas).

3 hours ago, TAPOUT said:

Of course, that could happen wilson, this is football. Every managerial appointment is a massive gamble, with most failing to live up to the aspirations of the chairman and fans. That is just the way it is. I have suggested Warnock until the end of the season as I think he would buy us time. If we went for him and offered him a 2 and a half year contract I would be dead against it as it just  perpetuates a system that does not suit what was supposed to be a brave new era. If we accept we are a club that is going to pick up a rough diamond and develop them and potentially Integrate them into a successful side then we need a head coach that can coach. Someone who knows how he wants to play and coaches them to be better, not send them back to their past clubs to let them improve them. This is especially relevant given the rebuild required in the summer. Woodgate has demonstrated that he does not have the focus or ability to coach a player to be better and if things aren’t working his option is to tear it up. Can you imagine him bringing in 7 players in the summer, giving them long term contracts, not knowing how he is going to set the team up. It literally fills me with dread.

The point being you stated a managerial position is a gamble, Woody was never a manager but a project hence lies the problem. Tea boy running a club. 

1 hour ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Yes if you bring Warnock in, I'm sure he'd keep us up, but I honestly don't see him coming just to sign a contract till the end of the season to pull us out of the mire, I think he'll want a lot longer contract than that.

Warnock is a few games off some milestone for the number of games he's managed. There was an interview with him sometime just before Christmas where he said he'd like one more manager post to reach that milestone, and it sounded like he was just after a short term thing later in the season to keep a club up somewhere. I thought at the time it sounded a bit like an I'm here if you want me message to Gibson. 

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about though. People will throw the baby out with the bathwater to sack a manager. There are situations which fans absolutely want to avoid in the aftermath of sacking a manager but are still full pelt towards it like that will never happen. It's happened with Karanka, it's happened with Pulis, arguably it happened with Monk too as people started to switch off as soon as Pulis came in. It baffles me beyond belief that people think it will work with sacking Woodgate. People argue about it like it's a logical decision but it isn't, it's a decision based on the belief or hope that things will get better when he's gone and it's really not that simple. Every time someone sacks a manager it is out of belief that things couldn't get any worse and yet they continue to get worse.

It's like when people start going on about bringing in a promising foreign coach. What about our recent past makes anyone think we're about to do that? We had success with one and the club did everything they could to erase him and everything to do with him from the club as soon as it went wrong. It's all perceived as simple though, we just need to get a promising coach, we just need Warnock til the end of the season, we just need to do this or that. Oh ***, we didn't do any of those things, we hired Woodgate, how dreadful a decision that was by the club and now I'm gonna complain about how *** Woodgate is until he's gone. The manager continues to take the brunt of the criticism year on year whilst the club sits back and makes *** decisions one after the other.

We need to be more nuanced than thinking sacking a manager solves your problems or we won't just be stuck in League One. But this is the culture of football; things go wrong, sack the manager, things go wrong again, sack them again. It doesn't work.

A project evolves from a business plan, not beliefs. A business plan involves milestones to gage progress against expectation and forecasting. What you are stating is SG planned to fail which I don’t believe.  Woody is the project Manager, no one else, he MUST be held accountable. 

5 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

A project evolves from a business plan, not beliefs. A business plan involves milestones to gage progress against expectation and forecasting. What you are stating is SG planned to fail which I don’t believe.  Woody is the project Manager, no one else, he MUST be held accountable. 

No, he didn't plan to fail, his plan failed. The result of his failed plan is Woodgate being in charge of our football club and a new plan with him at the helm, a plan which many here seem to agree was destined to fail.

Woodgate isn't the 'project manager' at all. He picks the team, he decides the tactics, he does not decide how to run this football club.

18 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

The point being you stated a managerial position is a gamble, Woody was never a manager but a project hence lies the problem. Tea boy running a club. 

I am all for giving new blood a chance, otherwise you dont know what potential they have. You have to look at it objectively weighing up his actions and words over time. If he is consistent and you see them sticking to their philosophy, seeing some development over time you give him more time. We seem to have gone backwards on and off thenpitch unfortunately so the price must be paid by him. The next long term guy might get similar results but I might see a system and development on and off the pitch that would make me accept poor results. I suppose we are all different.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

It's a lad I know who has a few links to the club got a message off one of them. He said apparently going but negotiating the release now. 

Don't give me hope man.

I think what's amazed me most about this season isn't the crap football, but how mute our local media have been. It's like they've been castrated as of lately they're absolutely terrified to call out the table position and results for what they are, which is horrendous. 

I can't remember who it was but someone said that Maddo who I have a lot of respect for was trying to defend us getting beat yesterday, if that's the case then my goodness

• Like 2