oneBoro Forum

What is the Boro identity?

Inspiree by the red bull conversation  and I'll admit looking at Wolves with envious eyes the thought that if we had allowed Mendes more involvement that we could be doing it instead of them upsets me. 

Time and again when I bring this up I get the arguement of the soul of the club, heritage and identity.

So what are they?

I have been  boro fan for 40 years in that time we have had 2 stadiums, been  team of local boys, the Spanish ramada, spl lite, home of mercenaries. Had countless managers played every formation and style under the sun and an ever changing kit.

So what it is about boro what is our identity?

Our most successful periods were the 70s where we were built on a strong defence and the McClaren era which also started with a solid base. Our last promotion under Karanka was also built from the back. 

We've had seasons where we've signed superstars and played some great football but I think our most success has been where we've been solid at the back. 

We've had spells where we've produced good youngsters but I don't think our academy has been that spectacular for a while now. 

Honestly I don't think our identity is that much different to 90% of other clubs in the country. I like us having a white band on our shirt because I think that makes us different but I don't think the club even care about that. 

I'd be happy with foreign investment as long as they didn't change the colour we play in or the team name. If we became Middlesbrough RB I could live with that I suppose. We've had a sponsored stadium before so that wouldnt be an issue and I don't think foreign owners could be any more disconnected from the fanbase as Gibson is. 

We never see him or hear from him now and the ticket prices seem to have alienated a lot of our fans as well. I'm not saying we should jump at the first foreign owner that's potentially interested but for the right party I'd be happy to move on from Gibson. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, TeaCider24 said:

Very few clubs have an actual long term identity on the pitch, except for those that are rich enough to maintain it and stay at the top.

That's true but other clubs have things like strips and colour schemes. I honestly do not think we have anything.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Inspiree by the red bull conversation  and I'll admit looking at Wolves with envious eyes the thought that if we had allowed Mendes more involvement that we could be doing it instead of them upsets me. 

Time and again when I bring this up I get the arguement of the soul of the club, heritage and identity.

So what are they?

I have been  boro fan for 40 years in that time we have had 2 stadiums, been  team of local boys, the Spanish ramada, spl lite, home of mercenaries. Had countless managers played every formation and style under the sun and an ever changing kit.

With rare exceptions we never find good strikers!

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

With rare exceptions we never find good strikers!

Not sure thats true I think we find good strikers and do some voo doo to them that makes them look like donkeys. We really are a strikers graveyard

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Not sure thats true I think we find good strikers and do some voo doo to them that makes them look like donkeys. We really are a strikers graveyard

You maybe right, not that it is noticeable, perhaps in their contracts there is a clause to state they must miss more than hit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

We’ve always been easy to defend against as a team, but have got by in the past because of some individual goals and assists from skilful players. Ie Juninho, Merson, Zenden, Mendieta and Gaston. We are sorely missing that kind of player (Adama was the last one) without someone to open up defences, we seem to struggle to score as a team. 

• Like 3

I said in the relegation post, irrelevant and laying to rest. I don’t see children wearing BORO tops, I don’t hear family or friends engaging in conversation about the club in fact most avoid discussions on the subject out of embarrassment and lack of interest. We have lost our identity and spirt and it’s reflected in the community. 
Only  thing missing now is parading the coffin and the mourning period. 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1
19 hours ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

So what are they?

Well we're obviously long past the days of "Infant Hercules" when men worked in coal mines, steel mills and shipyards and women stayed at home to look after the kids (who grew up dreaming of playing for the Boro).

Yes, we've had lots of different kits, but there is a definite association with the red home kit and white band (or chevrons). No reason we can't have some interesting away / third strips though. The current club badge, far as I can tell, is an update of the original griffin crest. So there's some heritage there.

Play style - well you have to move with the times, as formations & tactics progress. 

Players - well we supposedly have one of the best academies in the country...up there with some of the top Premier League clubs. However, like the PL clubs, we haven't (until fairly recently) got many academy players into the first team. 

I genuinely think, being a small(ish) town club, without a massive following, we would fare better developing local lads who really care about the club, rather than buying in mercenaries who are just there for the payday. Even more so, given our current financial situation. Those that prove to be really good, may get snapped up for decent sums by PL clubs.

Not saying we shouldn't have ANY foreign or non-local players, but they must be better than what we currently have...not just cheap journeymen (of which we currently seem to have far too many).

If we're looking to build a footballing identity in keeping with the history of the area, I don't think it would be a bad idea trying to get a manager in who has a similar philosophy to Sean Dyche, who demands maximum effort from his players...even if the football isn't the most exciting. Though honestly I would be happy with any manager who could get us playing decent football, with reasonable success.

To summarise: you have to be willing to be flexible, to some degree, but you shouldn't have to sacrifice your club's history and identity (name, badge, colours, location), in order to be successful.

• Like 2