oneBoro Forum

Boro v Leeds 0-1

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I don't think walking away from a mess you've helped to create is a decent thing to do, to be honest. I don't personally get that point of view, I know you're not the only one who has said it and I know it was said plenty last season under Pulis too but if he isn't doing his job properly, it's not on him to judge himself so badly to walk away in my opinion. It's on the club to remove him. I think it shows a lack of character to walk away and take yourself away from the responsibility of it.

Well we'll just have to disagree on what decency means in this case.

The man's had the better part of a season to figure out he's incapable of managing a football team. We have absolutely zero reason to believe that the situation will improve between now and May. Or even next season, for that matter.

Its like a gambler knowing when to cut their losses before they become too excessive. It also takes character to admit you're not up to the job and make way - hopefully for someone who can. Its more cowardly IMO to bury your head in the sand and deny reality.

I can't see our results being any worse with Leo (or even A. N. Other from the academy) being in charge for the remainder of the season.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 5
  • Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently has the backing still

I honestly don't see where it stops. Honestly think that Woodgate is bullet proof and Gibson is ready for us to go to league 1 only to deliver some crappy PR rallying cry in the summer about "oh we di

Bielsa is a world-renowned coach with decades of experience. He's cited by the likes of Guardiola, Pochettino, and Simeone as an inspirational and guiding figure in their careers. Woodgate is loc

Posted Images

I’m only going over to Boro tomorrow for one thing and that’s 3 points against the dirty Leeds. Come on Boro, time for another Christmas blip and get a win

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well we'll just have to agree on what decency means in this case.

The man's had the better part of a season to figure out he's incapable of managing a football team. We have absolutely zero reason to believe that the situation will improve between now and May. Or even next season, for that matter.

Its like a gambler knowing when to cut their losses before they become too excessive. It also takes character to admit you're not up to the job and make way - hopefully for someone who can. Its more cowardly IMO to bury your head in the sand and deny reality.

I can't see our results being any worse with Leo (or even A. N. Other from the academy) being in charge for the remainder of the season.

I actually think its selfish to carry on knowing that you are destroying something. To me the decent thing would be to accept that its beyond your capabilities and let someone in who knows what they are doing to fix it and repair the damage as soon as possible before it becomes too severe.

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I’m only going over to Boro tomorrow for one thing and that’s 3 points against the dirty Leeds. Come on Boro, time for another Christmas blip and get a win

Need some more of them magic sprouts feeding to the players in their prematch meal 😂

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I actually think its selfish to carry on knowing that you are destroying something. To me the decent thing would be to accept that its beyond your capabilities and let someone in who knows what they are doing to fix it and repair the damage as soon as possible before it becomes too severe.

Well said and your comments certainly apply to a fair number of players whose contracts seem to be running out!

If Woody does not have the changing  room someone somewhere should have put a stop to this.

Either that or Leo is not as much fun as we all thought

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well we'll just have to agree on what decency means in this case.

Thing is mate, he's a young manager. We can argue whether that means he deserves any more credit than the manager with experience or not for sure but I sincerely doubt he's looking at his situation thinking "I can't be a manager". He doesn't seem the type. As I said, he's stubborn. He didn't make it as a quality defender saying "Sod it, I'm done" at every set-back he had... and he had plenty! Players and managers generally have more desire and determination than that. After all, even if he is sacked it doesn't mean he won't make it as a manager.

There's only one way that Woodgate 100% doesn't make it as a manager and that's if he gives up.

I understand where you're coming from, it does take a certain level of character to admit you can't do something. Not every person who walks away from something is doing it because they're cowardly, sometimes it is an intelligent thing to do. I don't think it is in this scenario for his own career.

• Like 1

Under Karanka, Adam Clayton was arguably the best DM in the league, and okay he has never recaptured that form, but tomorrow night against Leeds, if you want one player to get stuck into their midfield and go in where it hurts and never pull out of a challenge then Clayton's that man. We lose far too many 2nd balls, so no question, in my opinion Clayton would definitely be in the side tomorrow night. 

6 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Under Karanka, Adam Clayton was arguably the best DM in the league, and okay he has never recaptured that form, but tomorrow night against Leeds, if you want one player to get stuck into their midfield and go in where it hurts and never pull out of a challenge then Clayton's that man. We lose far too many 2nd balls, so no question, in my opinion Clayton would definitely be in the side tomorrow night. 

I remember under Monk we were woeful against Leeds and got stuffed (3-0 I think). He dropped Clayton for that game and we had no bite about us at all. I agree with you that Clayton has to play tomorrow night.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I remember under Monk we were woeful against Leeds and got stuffed (3-0 I think). He dropped Clayton for that game and we had no bite about us at all. I agree with you that Clayton has to play tomorrow night.

I remember a few things about that game. The most pressing memory that comes to mind is when Alioski did the most telegraphed cut inside I have ever seen in my life onto his stronger left foot. Friend still somehow fell for it. Alioski puts the ball in and I think it was Hernandez who tapped in at the far post. Still annoyed about it now.

Well, just watched it back. Harsh on Friend to be that annoyed, nowhere near as bad as I remembered it hahah

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Blanco said:

I'll name names, one player in particular who pulls out of tackles time and time again Lewis Wing, you can't afford that against Leeds, we're in a dog fight and we need a pit bull in midfield not a poodle. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Thing is mate, he's a young manager. We can argue whether that means he deserves any more credit than the manager with experience or not for sure but I sincerely doubt he's looking at his situation thinking "I can't be a manager". He doesn't seem the type. As I said, he's stubborn. He didn't make it as a quality defender saying "Sod it, I'm done" at every set-back he had... and he had plenty! Players and managers generally have more desire and determination than that. After all, even if he is sacked it doesn't mean he won't make it as a manager.

There's only one way that Woodgate 100% doesn't make it as a manager and that's if he gives up.

I understand where you're coming from, it does take a certain level of character to admit you can't do something. Not every person who walks away from something is doing it because they're cowardly, sometimes it is an intelligent thing to do. I don't think it is in this scenario for his own career.

I see were your coming from, but a lot of the time your backroom staff can make a difference. I would have sooner seen Woodgate with an experienced No 2 alongside him than Keane it might well have made all the difference..

1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I think you'll be in luck...there will definitely be 3 more points against Leeds' season tally by the end of the game. 😂

Seriously, I hope Leeds leave the Riverside pointless. If nothing else, some very optimistic punters will make a few quid out of it and we'll be 3 points closer to safety.

But Boro will need to back it up with another couple of results before I start feeling even remotely optimistic about the club's future again.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Thing is, one man does not make a team. He's gonna need at least a couple of others to step up and help him.

If anyone in our squad can be the midfield anchor I would agree its Adam...but he can't do it on his own. We have to hope a few others decide to turn up as well.

• Like 2

I only hope the media are reporting on a brilliant BORO performance after taking 3 points at home and NOT crowd trouble. 
Regardless of performance I don’t think the crowd will not turn on Woody simply because they hate Leeds more, I think there will be some solidarity and a lot of passion. 
I am not going for a win but I have a gut feeling a draw is quite likely. I’m expecting a decent performance and if we kick off well, the crowd will get behind the players and carry us home. 

• Like 1