Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apparently has the backing still

I honestly don't see where it stops. Honestly think that Woodgate is bullet proof and Gibson is ready for us to go to league 1 only to deliver some crappy PR rallying cry in the summer about "oh we di

Bielsa is a world-renowned coach with decades of experience. He's cited by the likes of Guardiola, Pochettino, and Simeone as an inspirational and guiding figure in their careers. Woodgate is loc

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I just don’t understand why we can’t sign technically gifted strikers. 

Britt, Fletcher, Nmecha and Rudy. 

Literally not one of them has a consistently good touch. It’s painful to watch them. 

As much as I don’t rate Britt, I think id give him a go in the 4241, he might be better. I’m sick of seeing Fletcher do *** all, getting bounced off the ball here there and everywhere. How can a guy 6”2 never come close to winning a header?

Absolute pathetic excuse for a striker. What does he offer? Genuinely?

Completely agree.  Fletcher is only marginally better then Lee Dong-Gook and Paul Sugrue in my opinion.  

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Trouble is AR there are not many below us, one sitting on the same number of points and another only 3 points behind and both on a good run.

Perhaps as others have mentioned getting nearer to 50 points is the safe zone?

It would be pretty unusual to need that many...and definitely this season, given how poor the bottom few teams have been.

Did some checking and it turns out in the last 20 seasons, teams have needed 50+ points to stay up 6 times. A little better than 1 every 4 seasons...a lot more common than I thought. 😮 But still only 25% (ish) of the time. Odds are still in our favour that we won't need that many.

I was trying to hold on to some hope that we could get the points we needed to stay up. 3 wins alone would be a tall order...but just about doable...IF we got a new manager who could inspire the players to up their game.

No way in hell we can get 50, looking at the fixtures we have left. ☹️

Wigan are undoubtedly a real threat now, but IF we got a new manager in that could inspire the players to up their game, I'd like to think an extra 9-10 points would just be enough. In that case, I honestly don't see Barnsley or Luton overhauling us...even with a late surge.

Its small margins I know, but I think that extra 3-4 points would be just too many.

4 hours ago, TeaCider24 said:

It's been over a month since Woodgate was saying they hoped to have Pears on a new contract, so maybe he's dragging his feet about signing it.

If he is I don't blame him one bit. Think in his shoes (boots?) I would definitely be looking for other options, as there seems very little future in staying at Boro.

Edited by AnglianRed
4 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I think we're trying to acclimatise him to English football before giving him a senior game.

I translate that as "learning to swear effectively at the defence when they let the opposition walk through them and bury shots in the bottom corner".

32 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

If he is I don't blame him one bit. Think in his shoes (boots?) I would definitely be looking for other options, as there seems very little future in staying at Boro.

The extent of his experience before this season was non-league, he's gotten far too big for his boots if he thinks League One is beneath him now.

I think Fletch has shown often enough this season the qualities he has and money permitting, would love us to keep him longer term. Was he good yesterday? Not really. But when he's been good this season, he's been really good and he's led the line significantly better than any of our other strikers. He's come along a great deal since he first joined.

Pears has come in after Randolph and we haven't noticeably missed Randolph in the long time he's been missing. It's not that League One is beneath him at all, it's why on Earth would he sign a contract other than being from Boro if there are other teams willing to make him their number one at Championship level? Or maybe a team in the Prem comes knocking with a few quid and he gets to work with and learn from other good keepers? Remember, we're the ones who have seemingly brought him into the first team to surpass Randolph without having him actually sign an extension. It's not his fault that that could have been a mistake on our part. At some point, it becomes his decision and if he actually doesn't want to stay if we go down then I don't know why we'd have any complaints about that.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think Fletch has shown often enough this season the qualities he has and money permitting, would love us to keep him longer term. Was he good yesterday? Not really. But when he's been good this season, he's been really good and he's led the line significantly better than any of our other strikers. He's come along a great deal since he first joined.

Usually agree with you mate. But can’t agree with you on this one. 
I think he’s been pretty shocking all season, along with all our other strikers I must add. Hence the reason why we are where we are. 

I don’t think he’s improved a lot if anything since arriving. I still don’t know what he offers the team. What is your opinion on what he offers? 

To sum him up, when I watch him, imo it’s like he’s a kid playing with grown adults.

I must add I’m not blaming him for this season haha. I wouldn’t know where to start on that. Genuinely.

Fletcher he has grown on me this season. That said theres been a fair few games recently where he has ball watched or jumped for a header knowing he was nowhere near it. When we had our mini revival though he looked a good player he battled and held up the ball well and could see theres a decent player there. But if hes not on his game hes like a rabbit in the headlights.

However I dont see him as the guy who will score the goals to win promotion or save you from relegation which we really need him to be right now. 

11 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

Pears has come in after Randolph and we haven't noticeably missed Randolph in the long time he's been missing. It's not that League One is beneath him at all, it's why on Earth would he sign a contract other than being from Boro if there are other teams willing to make him their number one at Championship level? Or maybe a team in the Prem comes knocking with a few quid and he gets to work with and learn from other good keepers? Remember, we're the ones who have seemingly brought him into the first team to surpass Randolph without having him actually sign an extension. It's not his fault that that could have been a mistake on our part. At some point, it becomes his decision and if he actually doesn't want to stay if we go down then I don't know why we'd have any complaints about that.

Certainly agree with you on Pears.

Can't say I'm convinced on Fletcher though. He may be the best one to persist with and may come good once we actually have a functioning team, but he's only scored one more than both Assombalonga and Wing (both on 6 goals).

I know its tough for any individual to shine in this team (other than the keeper), but I wouldn't say he's been significantly better than our other forward options.

Just noticed another pretty damning stat. We have failed to score in 12 out of 35 games so far this season. pretty much a third of our games. If that doesn't highlight how dysfunctional we've been as a team, I don't know what does.

11 hours ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Usually agree with you mate. But can’t agree with you on this one. 
I think he’s been pretty shocking all season, along with all our other strikers I must add. Hence the reason why we are where we are. 

I don’t think he’s improved a lot if anything since arriving. I still don’t know what he offers the team. What is your opinion on what he offers? 

To sum him up, when I watch him, imo it’s like he’s a kid playing with grown adults.

I must add I’m not blaming him for this season haha. I wouldn’t know where to start on that. Genuinely.

When Fletch has played well this season, he's been heavily involved in the link-up play between midfield and attack. As a lone striker, he's had games where he's worked both channels, come deep to be an outlet, battled with defenders in the air and played on the last man sometimes too. I've previously had him down as someone who has a dreadful touch when receiving the ball but he's much improved on that front generally, probably the most improved area of his game, which means he can hold up the ball better and generally his close control is a lot better. His decision making too is a part of the bigger picture of a striker who can work on his own. In a year where we've not scored many goals as a team, he has stood out to me as a striker who can work as an individual for the benefit of the team and be a better version of, say, a Kike. Going forward I'm not convinced he's a 20 goal a season striker but if he can bring better players into play more often then he doesn't need to be.