oneBoro Forum

Boro v Nottingham Forest 2-2 (Gestede, Wing)

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shame that, I thought we played alright tonight although we ran out of steam.  I'm possibly being unfair here but I thought McNair was at fault for both goals we conceded.  I didn't think there was mu

Team News / Injury Update: Manager - A lot is being said that Woody is playing out his last few days as Middlesbrough manager. Could a not too horrendous display against Leeds and a win against F

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I used to be quite happy thinking that...until I did a bit of research and found that, since the 2000-01 season, teams have needed over 50 points to stay up on 6 occasions.

Thats around once every 3 seasons. Last time was the 2016-17 season (52 points) and before that was the 2012-13 season (55 points).

Since then I've felt a lot less confident about our chances of staying up...especially if the teams around us keep picking up points.

Form around in the last 5

image.png.9edda1376a6834159c44d1eb92309afb.png

6 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I think it’s a foul against any of the other 23 goalkeepers in the championship. Grabban looks back at Pears, not at the ball, then he raises his arm across Pears and backs into him. A clear foul. The world wide conspiracy against the Boro continues.

Well thats the thing.

I'm no expert on the rules of the game, but it looked to me like one of those 50/50 incidents that some refs would blow for a foul and some might not.

Especially given the general inconsistency of refereeing.

I think everyone just hates us and wants to see us go down... 

foil hat tinfoil kevin GIF by The Tick

• Like 2

I haven't seen anything like that Pears and Grabban thing in years I don't know what Pears can do there my only thought is maybe flop to the ground because if you wrestle him it's a pen you just try and wrap your hand around him and hope the referee does what your defence hasn't and protect you.

Bright spots today were Moukoudi, Coulson and Johnson I thought Gestede still mistimes far too many leaps and the midfielders I mean McNair's set pieces were dreadful he ran well but was too casual defensively. Tavernier tried and ran around but lacks quality and an edge there's no world he's an offensive player at this level for me maybe a midfielder but on the wing he's a passenger. Shotton was dreadful, Clayton tries but some of his decision making and touches were awful gave the ball away far too much. Wing was in and out of the game he put in a shift but I still question how long he takes on the ball before he gets his head up.

Substitutions took far too long for me we let Forest put all 3 of theirs on then they penned us deeper and deeper as our legs faded and we had a lampost up front who couldn't run minute 1 yet alone minute 80 our outball became a Forest defender and the pressure/set pieces built from there. I think us getting out of this depends how quickly Roberts/Ayala come back and if Britt can actually hit some kind of form to rescue us because if we play that XI today 10 more times we'll be in League 1.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I used to be quite happy thinking that...until I did a bit of research and found that, since the 2000-01 season, teams have needed over 50 points to stay up on 6 occasions.

Thats around once every 3 seasons. Last time was the 2016-17 season (52 points) and before that was the 2012-13 season (55 points).

Since then I've felt a lot less confident about our chances of staying up...especially if the teams around us keep picking up points.

With our lack of goals, conceding for fun and abysmal form matched with most teams around us picking up a win here and there of some form we are deep in the brown stuff. We lost to two of the bottom three teams so picking up points  from any game is a real challenge. Our remaining fixtures are not against any of the top 6 in the league at present so ‘upping our game’ against the top sides is not an option either. On a plus side we don’t have to play the top 6 anymore this season!!

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, borolad88 said:

agree pears should off been commanding with his hands towards the ball, that would have forced the foul by backing into him

you run risk of a penna shoving through the striker. The ball was low as it arrived at Grabban, if Pears goes in with his harms, it would be a penna. Grabban should not have been allowed to be in that position without being marked, pure and simple.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

When is Ayala and Roberts back? 
Two huge players to join us for the final games. They could be the difference.

"Ayala is 3 or 4 weeks and Patrick is about the same".

The above is a quote from our boss in his press conference pre forest game. However, according to our boss Ayala has been "3 or weeks" away since middle of January so his actual return date could be anytime between now and infinity. 

• Haha 1

Just watched it back, that's a foul to me.

Grabban deliberately blocks off the arms of Pears and prevents him going for the ball.

That Pears should have been stronger and more savvy doesn't change that.

• Like 2
Just now, SouthernSmoggie said:

Good question, I've been wondering that too. 

I think they are 2-4 games away, they will both make a huge difference.  I would hate to be up against Ayala and Moukoudi as a CF, you would come off bruised and battered.  It will also give us the option of moving Shotton to RB and releasing Howson back to CM, we are really, really lacking quality in that part of the pitch. McNair is poor, Saville is limited,Wing is rubbish but can score, Tav has lost confidence and Clayton is past his best. Howson back in the middle is a must for me.  Then Roberts as the link man is the game changer for us.

I personally dont think it is a foul. Had he done that to Makoudi or Shotton dont think we would even be having this discussion.

However, there is not much Pears could do in that situation tbf to him and blame does not lie with him. It lies with our effing defence who allowed one of the most lethal strikers in the division to be left alone in that situation 1on 1 with our keeper.

• Like 1

It's a foul, Grabban uses his left arm to block Pears.

Notwithstanding though, the subs were wrong. Nmecha as bad as he is, should have been on for his pace on the brake. Morrison should have been on for his ability to keep the ball. What Savage does is beyond me, awful player and to think we paid £7m for him adds to the calamity that is Steve Gibson.

We are still devoid of a midfielder who can dominate. Clayton is the best, but his legs have gone. I thought McNair could be the one, but he has been poor in recent weeks.

League 1 is where we are heading. Truly gutting.

1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

I personally dont think it is a foul. Had he done that to Makoudi or Shotton dont think we would even be having this discussion.

However, there is not much Pears could do in that situation tbf to him and blame does not lie with him. It lies with our effing defence who allowed one of the most lethal strikers in the division to be left alone in that situation 1on 1 with our keeper.

Also entirely ignores the idea that goalkeepers get special protection, which they absolutely do, apart from in this one apparent instance.