oneBoro Forum

Boro v Nottingham Forest 2-2 (Gestede, Wing)

Not a bad result in and of itself, but feels like a loss after giving a goal away so late on. Especially when forest looked so poor second half. 

Oh and my sour grapes: it was a foul on pears for the goal and we should have had a pen for the foul (it was more of a wrestling move than a foul really) on gestede when we were 2-1 up. Humph.

• Like 1
  • Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shame that, I thought we played alright tonight although we ran out of steam.  I'm possibly being unfair here but I thought McNair was at fault for both goals we conceded.  I didn't think there was mu

Team News / Injury Update: Manager - A lot is being said that Woody is playing out his last few days as Middlesbrough manager. Could a not too horrendous display against Leeds and a win against F

Posted Images

Okay. Positives. We scored (twice!). Coulson, Makoudi, Shotton. Spence coming on (hopefully not totally out of the frame now). We looked good down the left, players weren’t scared to have a shot and we created a few half chances. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, boroie said:

image.thumb.png.117ba7662bacf4c552cfda666e3fd50e.png

Yup it's easy to defend, you get someone in front of Grabban, probably the guy that was designated to mark him from the corner!

Edited by BoroMart
  • Like 1

Next game positives: Would give Marvin and Hayden a go again on the left with Jonny and Spence, use the pace. That's provides width, put Tav in the centre for his energy and direct drive with Wing AM  and have a go against Charlton for the first goal.

• Like 2
Just now, BoroSmoggie said:

Am I right in thinking that that’s the 9th game in a row where we have conceded first? 
If so, that needs to change ASAP. Fighting a uphill battle from the beginning.

10th if you include the Spurs replay.

They've all largely been soft goals too.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, borolad88 said:

Next game positives: Would give Marvin and Hayden a go again on the left with Jonny and Spence, use the pace. That's provides width, put Tav in the centre for his energy and direct drive with Wing AM  and have a go against Charlton for the first goal.

Exactly what I’d like to see as well. We were strong down the left tonight and could be likewise down the right if he brings Spence in to play with Howson. 
McNair looks a shadow of his former self, looks like he wants away to me. 

1 minute ago, Skinemrippers said:

Agree, McNair thinking back at the start of the season I was proud, watching him for Ireland, doesn't he look like a player who drives forward and can score against the like of Czech Rep, twice 

• Like 1

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised but considering all the lads are pulling in the same direction and fighting to keep us up, the difference between before scoring to after scoring is incredible. We weren't at the races before we scored at all, Howson, Johnson, Clayton, McNair, Tav... a lot of dreadfully slow and unconcerned defending and thoughtless, static attacking play.

Goals give you confidence, I know. When we haven't scored many and grab 2 out of sheer *** all and go in at 2-1, yeah, you expect a bit of a brighter display from a constantly defeated group. But the difference in effort, the focused and tenacious pressing, the many interceptions... what are the experienced lads and the coaching staff up to if it takes such shithousery to get a bit of motivation in them?

I'm gonna pick out McNair because we all know he's capable of much more than he's giving us at the moment. Before we scored, he couldn't give a toss. Coming deep to get involved but generally just contributing to a slow and static game. He wasn't winning anything in the air and generally Moukoudi behind him had better vision in the pass than him. He's also thrown himself to the ground again just before they scored, he's not got a clue what's going on because he's feeling some injustice of being tapped on the shoulder. After we scored, we had numerous times where he was driving down either wing, there was one on the left hand side which he nearly lost the ball to a throw-in and it reminded me a lot of the time against Luton where he completely forgot he had feet and ran the ball out of play. It's clear he can play and yet we have to be winning a game to get it out of him now.

Naturally the second goal for them killed us off. We were managing the game relatively well, just kept giving away corners. The hit on the confidence was clear. It was a huge sucker punch and we played out the rest of the game like a point was fine. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we really deserved a win and a draw was probably the right result. But we are desperate for 3 points and we don't have anyone in the team capable of grabbing it by the scruff of the neck in a bad situation. Coulson aside, that is, but he'd run himself into the ground.

• Like 1

Shame that, I thought we played alright tonight although we ran out of steam.  I'm possibly being unfair here but I thought McNair was at fault for both goals we conceded.  I didn't think there was much to complain about regarding their equaliser, Grabban just holds him off really.  It's an awkward one for Pears though, if it's a cross he just comes out and punches it clear, cleaning Grabban out in the process.  The way that ball got to him meant he couldn't do anything about it and for some reason we didn't have a defender with their best striker 🤦‍♂️

Coulson was bright, Gestede actually played well so fair play to him.  Our second goal was superb quick thinking from Pears, good to see a Boro player switched on like that although Wing was a lucky sod with that finish mind!  I think Forest's natural way of playing probably suited us with them allowing us to attack them but we still had to make things happen for ourselves and we did that tonight to a certain extent.  A reason for some optimism though.

• Like 6

In my opinion it wasn’t a foul on Pears. A more experienced keeper would have moved forward as soon as the looping ball went into the air, aiming to punch the ball clear, but also prepared to make contact with Grabban and forcing the referee to give a foul in their favour for obstruction or a hand in his face etc. He just froze and didn’t know what to do. McNair could have done a lot better also.

I hope Woodgate’s defence of Pears is just to publicly protect him, and not him actually thinking Pears done nothing wrong. However, given the culture of Gibson and Woodgate instinctively looking for any angle to avoid criticism, I wouldn’t be too surprised if they’re both still sat in Gibson’s office having their 3rd pint of Peroni, a proper Tory beer, complaining that the referee was solely to blame for not disallowing Forest’s equaliser and that the table is still lying.

Edited by p_mards

Would people be upset if Woodgate picked the same starting lineup for next game?

Reason being why not keep some familiarity in the lineup. I know Paddy didn't play well and Spence would add pace but these boys did get 2 goals and maybe they would have some confidence.