oneBoro Forum

Boro v Nottingham Forest 2-2 (Gestede, Wing)

Pears has done well since coming in but I always feel slightly uneasy with him, especially on high balls into the box. He punched one earlier in the game where he could have caught it and I’m not sure his presence is big enough. But it would probably be a huge risk changing him now and playing a new keeper for the last 10 critical games. I don’t think Woodgate will dare chance it. 

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Shame that, I thought we played alright tonight although we ran out of steam.  I'm possibly being unfair here but I thought McNair was at fault for both goals we conceded.  I didn't think there was mu

Team News / Injury Update: Manager - A lot is being said that Woody is playing out his last few days as Middlesbrough manager. Could a not too horrendous display against Leeds and a win against F

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Shame that, I thought we played alright tonight although we ran out of steam.  I'm possibly being unfair here but I thought McNair was at fault for both goals we conceded.  I didn't think there was much to complain about regarding their equaliser, Grabban just holds him off really.  It's an awkward one for Pears though, if it's a cross he just comes out and punches it clear, cleaning Grabban out in the process.  The way that ball got to him meant he couldn't do anything about it and for some reason we didn't have a defender with their best striker 🤦‍♂️

Coulson was bright, Gestede actually played well so fair play to him.  Our second goal was superb quick thinking from Pears, good to see a Boro player switched on like that although Wing was a lucky sod with that finish mind!  I think Forest's natural way of playing probably suited us with them allowing us to attack them but we still had to make things happen for ourselves and we did that tonight to a certain extent.  A reason for some optimism though.

Agree with your comments, feel I've been harsh on Pears but to release the ball from our second, inch perfect (to the right player with pace) was refreshing. Woody needs to be intelligent this week with the opposition, Charlton at home have beaten both Luton 3-1 and Barnsley 2-1 in Feb so confident for them coming into this most be high. Like Forest into this one...Lets turn them over!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

We couldn't score in a free brothel if we were the 1,000,000th customer.

To be fair, I think I'd rather leave it if it meant going sloppy seconds after 999,999 fellas

3 minutes ago, CanadianBoro said:

Would people be upset if Woodgate picked the same starting lineup for next game?

Reason being why not keep some familiarity in the lineup. I know Paddy didn't play well and Spence would add pace but these boys did get 2 goals and maybe they would have some confidence.

I think he’ll bring Saville in for McNair, otherwise will play the same team. 
Saturday is *the* must win for me. Tonight was about getting a result and some confidence up - I think we did that. 

Stojanovic 

Howson     Moukoudi     Shotton       Johnson 

Saville

Spence.        Wing        Tav          Coulson 

Fletcher  

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

Pears has done well since coming in but I always feel slightly uneasy with him, especially on high balls into the box. He punched one earlier in the game where he could have caught it and I’m not sure his presence is big enough. But it would probably be a huge risk changing him now and playing a new keeper for the last 10 critical games. I don’t think Woodgate will dare chance it. 

What's the thought process in signing £1 mill keeper if not to challenge in this league 

3 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

Stojanovic 

Howson     Moukoudi     Shotton       Johnson 

Saville

Spence.        Wing        Tav          Coulson 

Fletcher  

Pick for me, expect to concede but will have chances for sure 

14 minutes ago, CanadianBoro said:

Would people be upset if Woodgate picked the same starting lineup for next game?

Reason being why not keep some familiarity in the lineup. I know Paddy didn't play well and Spence would add pace but these boys did get 2 goals and maybe they would have some confidence.

I thought midway through "why the *** didn't we keep Paddy Reading?"

Coulson is more effective further forward. Johnson is okay (/mediocre?) further up the pitch, but his defending is lacking. Reading would've offered something a little different behind Coulson as a further option.

14 minutes ago, CanadianBoro said:

I'd be tempted with Spence at RWB, then Howson in CM in place of McNair.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BoroJake said:
2 hours ago, White Band said:

14824 I think they just said

I thought that at first, apparently it was 18 something thousand

They announced 18,000 but it might have been closer to the 14,000 in reality.

3 minutes ago, Snowblind said:

I thought midway through "why the *** didn't we keep Paddy Reading?"

Coulson is more effective further forward. Johnson is okay (/mediocre?) further up the pitch, but his defending is lacking. Reading would've offered something a little different behind Coulson as a further option.

I'd be tempted with Spence at RWB, then Howson in CM in place of McNair.

First Half I was shouting why isn't Howson in the middle of field in the way he reads the game experience to control, thinking back to Norwich (long time I know) and the good games he had with monk, his quality would be in more influential place, hes got the stamina still, thoughts!

• Like 1

Clayton's legs are gone. We need someone to do that ball winning role and I think Howson is probably our best bet, put Spence at right back.

Dijksteel will be back soon and he could add some energy to the team (I mean he can't be worse than before)

55 minutes ago, borolad88 said:

First Half I was shouting why isn't Howson in the middle of field in the way he reads the game experience to control, thinking back to Norwich (long time I know) and the good games he had with monk, his quality would be in more influential place, hes got the stamina still, thoughts!

Agreed, we need to get Howson back into midfield, just because he is better quality than all our other midfielders. Even if it means Shotton at RB, or Spence, or Dijksteel. 

Woke this morning and I’m of the same opinion Woody is way out of depth. I truly believe any decent manager could have had this team comfortably sitting mid table. if forum members can see and smell a goal coming then why can’t Woody and make changes, oh he does make changes but the wrong ones. I’m not denying I went to bed disappointed but thinking we did alright, but now looking back it’s obvious we  self-destruct, we have an affinity to self harm.  

Games follow the same pattern time after time, conceding by sloppy goals. I can’t think I have seen any team concede so many by there own team or off so many ricochets. 
We should never have been discussing survival, but we are because neither this game or Leeds really mattered, no it was all the other games of supposing weaker opposition we drew or lost too,which in lies the belief any average experienced manager would have this team sitting comfortably mid table. This team which is now 20 points worse off than last season. 

So the question, did we see enough to state this team can return a 30% points improvement over the next 10 games. That’s reality, that’s what we need, a 30% improvement on the past 36 game points. 

Edited by sanddancer
  • Like 1