oneBoro Forum

Remaining games

With the fact that we have a certain number of current squad players running out their contracts end of season how would you feel if Boro simply stopped using them and concentrated on those players who will be here next season (including those on loan to us) to gauge how we might perform be it the reminder of the season or an inkling as to how we might do if relegated.

I know that there will be a strong argument to use those soon departing but is their heart in the relegation scrap?

What first 11 would you use moving ahead?

Should we use every asset (if you can call them that) in each and every game until confirmed safe or at worst relegated?.

Certainly we can call them Woodgate's team could he develop them I wonder?

Thoughts and comments appreciated 

If true not using Spence because of a bad attitude speaks volumes of a manager that has lost the plot or/and lost all respect from the dressing room

The team and points on the board trump petty falling outs and Woody just isn't getting the seriousness of the situation if this is the case imo 

The worry thing is from my point of view is we aren't even seeing "shop window" performances from the lads running their contracts down 

We just don't look like a battling team that is up for the fight

Sad times 

• Like 1

He should be using the best team available to him, end of.  He should have multiple tactics and formations if things start to look a bit different on the pitch, he should be leading them, encouraging them, nurturing them.  

It's not rocket science for a professional sports person to undertake them things.  My son plays for U11's team, the ethos is that the kids make it through the ranks and play for the first team some day.  Now when they play crap they get a little telling off, if they are late they get a little telling off, if they mess about (they are kids) they get a little telling off.  BUT above everything they always encourage and be positive, the boys then give them respect and 100% back over and over again.  

Yes they are kids but the same principle applies.

• Like 1

For me, the answer depends on whether Woodgate is staying til the end of the season. If he is, the kids should be given as much experience as possible.

We looked best playing Coulson and Spence as wingbacks. We looked best when Tav and Wing were played in their optimal positions. We looked best without cloggers like Gestede and - though it pains me to say it - Friend in the team. If the senior players can't or won't perform at present, blood the youngsters. The senior players probably can't wait to book their Sandals summer breaks, whereas the kids will want to play every game. We have nothing to lose (we can't play worse than we are) but potentially something to gain.

If a new broom comes in, the greater experience of the more senior players might actually start to count for something.

• Like 1

The out of contract players at the end of the season aren't interested or aren't good enough anymore and should not be offered new contracts, let's start afresh, what we have simply isn't good enough. 

Woodgate might as well start the players who will still be playing for him in League 1 if he's staying. 

After 1 point from Wigan, Luton, and Barnsley, I really don't know where on earth anyone sees 4-5 wins coming from under this management. It's more likely we're bottom before long, looking at current form and fixture turns.

Form in last five games:

21st Boro - 1 point

22nd Wigan - 8 points

23rd Barnsley - 10 points

24th Luton - 9 points

12 hours ago, RiseSirAxlRose said:

What are the remaining games? 

This is what we've got left...

uejl698.png

Our failure to get anything against Barnsley has made our chances of staying up rather slimmer. I really think we're struggling to get more than 9-10 points from these remaining fixtures.

If we do indeed end up needing 50+ points to be safe...then I think we're sunk.

Both Stoke and Hull still fighting for their own safety, with us in terrible form I simply do not see how you can imagine 6 away points from those games AR.

Looking at the remaining fixtures it really does not bode well for us.

I base this entirely on our last 9 games, if the next 9 games result in the same number of points it will be a travesty

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

This is what we've got left...

uejl698.png

Our failure to get anything against Barnsley has made our chances of staying up rather slimmer. I really think we're struggling to get more than 9-10 points from these remaining fixtures.

If we do indeed end up needing 50+ points to be safe...then I think we're sunk.

The way things are right now, I would say that last bit is probably true yes.

Regardless of what division we are in we can look forward to a summer rebuild safe in the hands of those that brought us Bola, Browne, Bikey and Nmecha.

If we don't  go down this season its only prolonging the inevitable.

1 minute ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Regardless of what division we are in we can look forward to a summer rebuild safe in the hands of those that brought us Bola, Browne, Bikey and Nmecha.

If we don't  go down this season its only prolonging the inevitable.

I think if we sack Woodgate and replace with Warnock or McClaren to survive then yes, I agree with this also.

14 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think if we sack Woodgate and replace with Warnock or McClaren to survive then yes, I agree with this also.

Would still rather survive and risk that than start next season in League 1 tbh. 

Think we'd have a better shot at staying up again next year than getting promoted from League 1.  

44 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Both Stoke and Hull still fighting for their own safety, with us in terrible form I simply do not see how you can imagine 6 away points from those games AR.

Looking at the remaining fixtures it really does not bode well for us.

I base this entirely on our last 9 games, if the next 9 games result in the same number of points it will be a travesty

Well I based those predictions simply on the general form of the teams over the season.

I wouldn't bank on us beating a National League side right now, but out of all those fixtures, we have the best chance of beating teams who are nearly as / just as poor as we are.

Sheffield Wednesday seem to be having a bit of a mare lately. If their poor form continues, we might get something there...just imagine if we end up needing to beat them to stay up... 😰