oneBoro Forum

Remaining games

2 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Would still rather survive and risk that than start next season in League 1 tbh. 

Think we'd have a better shot at staying up again next year than getting promoted from League 1.  

As I've said before, I'd rather if we were to sack him to replace him with someone who we actually want to manage our club in the long term. If they're good enough, they'll get us out of this mess just as easy as they would. And my fear is that will be true regardless of who we hire. In other words, if it is Warnock or McClaren to come next, they'll be here for the long haul.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

As I've said before, I'd rather if we were to sack him to replace him with someone who we actually want to manage our club in the long term. If they're good enough, they'll get us out of this mess just as easy as they would. And my fear is that will be true regardless of who we hire. In other words, if it is Warnock or McClaren to come next, they'll be here for the long haul.

Well "long haul" these days tends to mean 2-3 seasons. 

Whether its Warnock, McLaren or anyone else, as long as they have some sort of track record (i.e. have achieved some level of success somewhere) its still a big step up from the current incumbent.

We may end up calling for their heads a couple of seasons down the line, but at least it buys the club some breathing space and hopefully time for Gibson to give his head a shake and figure out whether he still wants to be the chairman and invest in the club, or hand over the reins to someone better placed to rebuild it.

The more I think about this season, the more angry I am - especially letting so many contracts just run down of players who are in the first team and crucial to our chances. I suspect the plan was to phase those players out anyway, perhaps with the exception of Ayala and Howson, replacing them with youngsters and the new buys. To have to rely on Johnson, Clayton, Shotton on top of Howson and Ayala probably wasn’t in the plan. But that only goes on to highlight how poor the replacements have been. Djiksteel (even pre injury), Bola and Browne were obviously intended for the first team but just not good enough. 

So we’re in a position next season of not having the “luxury” of a bunch of experienced players to fall back on when the new signings don’t work out. We are in deep trouble next year regardless of the league imo. 

4 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Could you imagine the scenes if Gary Monk beat us last day of the season to send us down. 

Could you imagine the scenes the day after when Wednesday get a points deduction and take our place? 😃

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Could you imagine the scenes if Gary Monk beat us last day of the season to send us down. 

Angry Black Friday GIF by Buyout Footage

Something like this I would imagine.

Could you imagine the scenes the day after when Wednesday get a points deduction and take our place? 

😃

I'd forgotten about that! Will happily clutch at that straw.

Edited by AnglianRed
quoting other poster
26 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think Warnock on a short term contract with the single goal of survival while we look for a long-term replacement in the background would be the perfect scenario. 

Even if we have to blow the Summer transfer budget... going down will be so much worse. 

27 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I think Warnock on a short term contract with the single goal of survival while we look for a long-term replacement in the background would be the perfect scenario. 

Even if we have to blow the Summer transfer budget... going down will be so much worse. 

I know people keep saying this but this short-term contract I feel is really, really unlikely. I also think it's a potential waste of money as we'll no doubt hand them a big bonus if we survive. Why can't we avoid this and just appoint the right manager from the off?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think if we sack Woodgate and replace with Warnock or McClaren to survive then yes, I agree with this also.

I have zero confidence in us appointing anyone remotely competent. I have believed it for a while but what we need is a clean sweep behind the scenes.

Then implement an identity and a golden thread with people who have a proven competence in doing what we ask if them.

Our recruitment for years has been poor and for a club which every couple of years says we are moneyball then why di we tell every *** we are skint and need to sell.

1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

It would be more annoying and most ironic, if the squandered points v  Luton,  both home and away, were ultimately to send us down. Just hoping that penalty miss doesn't haunt us.

21 hours ago, pokeyjoe said:

If true not using Spence because of a bad attitude speaks volumes of a manager that has lost the plot or/and lost all respect from the dressing room

The team and points on the board trump petty falling outs and Woody just isn't getting the seriousness of the situation if this is the case imo

I don't have a huge problem with a player being dropped for acting like a *** behind the scenes so in that sense I'm ambivalent about it as I think he deserves to be in the side but if you're a *** then tough luck.  Where I would have a problem is if his poor behaviour is directly linked to being dropped undeservedly in the first place then I might have a little sympathy with him.  If that is the case then it would feel like a manager trying to exert control on the group by singling out an easy target - a young lad who hasn't played much and by all accounts is a bit of a loner and probably isn't right at the heart of the group in a social sense.  I would also have a slight issue with us signing a bloke who has spent his career doing the same and worse and then making an example out of Spence.  It feels a bit like we're sending mixed messages there.  The argument that he did it before he signed here doesn't wash with me, you're still signing a player with a history of the same thing.

• Like 1

Games of significant interest for all Boro fans in the hope of survival today as follows:

Hull V Leeds (sadly want an away win)

WBA V Wigan (home win please)

Luton V Stoke (prefer a draw but not a Stoke win)

Huddersfield V Charlton (prefer a win here for either team a draw means one point further ahead from Boro for both)

Reading V Barnsley (home win please or at worst a draw)

7 hours ago, Downsouth said:

Games of significant interest for all Boro fans in the hope of survival today as follows:

Hull V Leeds (sadly want an away win)

WBA V Wigan (home win please)

Luton V Stoke (prefer a draw but not a Stoke win)

Huddersfield V Charlton (prefer a win here for either team a draw means one point further ahead from Boro for both)

Reading V Barnsley (home win please or at worst a draw)

Nearly got all correct save Wigan.

Squeaky bum time now