oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson's stranglehold on scrutiny?

1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Then we can all look forward to supporting Red Bull Midelzburg, with a new kit and club crest...

SzouZYC.png

If that did happen do you think instead of a cuppa tea and biscuits at half time the players might get a can or two of Red Bull and we may actually start flying about on the pitch in the second half instead of looking like something of a funeral procession. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are other people's views on how whether there is sufficient scrutiny on the Club internally and externally such as through the Evening Gazette and BBC Tees?. My post in the "Should Jonathan Woodg

Outstanding post. When Sajid Javid resigned from Government, he said it was necessary to speak truth to power. That applies everywhere, including at MFC. And we can't rely on the usual agents to

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jamie-H said:

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the Gazette do for Boro. Of course there's a bias and of course there's a tint to the coverage but they're far more critical they actually ask questions about finances/path forward all we ever get from the Gazette is Paylor's streams of fantasy, Vickers apologia and Tarrentire's relentless backside puckering lest we forget the Gazette crowd were all too happy to hit the dancefloor at the clubs private promotion party at Rockliffe 4 years ago. I already know who the Gazette will blame for our relegation to League 1 it'll be that Victor Orta bloke...

Do you have examples of the Post doing that? The only local paper I've really seen going in hard on their owner over the years has been Bolton's, though naturally I don't see a great deal of other places' local papers. And their club was royally going under and has barely survived. Our club isn't right now as far as I know. I seem to recall Forest were in trouble at one point too? I could be wrong. I wonder if it's just gonna be the case that unless Gibson really truly drives us into financial hell, the Gazette will stay as neutral or biased as they can towards them. If it's ever gonna look like we end up with no club, will it be the straw that broke the camels back?

I'm not really savvy on '86 but how was that time judged by the papers? Was that turn of events similar to say, Bury's potential demise in terms of ownership? If so, how did the Gazette handle that? Were they super critical of the club and the way it was run? Or were they just as biased and defensive of the club over it? I think, like I said, it's important to acknowledge how the paper has historically responded or else it might not really be a change in how they report anything. I'd like to know what people have to add to that!

24 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Do you have examples of the Post doing that? The only local paper I've really seen going in hard on their owner over the years has been Bolton's, though naturally I don't see a great deal of other places' local papers. And their club was royally going under and has barely survived. Our club isn't right now as far as I know. I seem to recall Forest were in trouble at one point too? I could be wrong. I wonder if it's just gonna be the case that unless Gibson really truly drives us into financial hell, the Gazette will stay as neutral or biased as they can towards them. If it's ever gonna look like we end up with no club, will it be the straw that broke the camels back?

I'm not really savvy on '86 but how was that time judged by the papers? Was that turn of events similar to say, Bury's potential demise in terms of ownership? If so, how did the Gazette handle that? Were they super critical of the club and the way it was run? Or were they just as biased and defensive of the club over it? I think, like I said, it's important to acknowledge how the paper has historically responded or else it might not really be a change in how they report anything. I'd like to know what people have to add to that!

During Al Hasawi's ownership they subjected him to huge scrutiny, they published every financial detail available to them throughout his tenure because of the scepticism of the ownership locally even the Britt sale they put alot into covering why it happened the context and finances of the deal etc they're clearly acting as journalists/fans who view their responsibility to the area as a big part of their coverage.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/sport-opinion/seeing-fawaz-al-hasawi-pop-2908392

The quality of our coverage is poor it's essentially amounted to turn up at Rockliffe listen to the manager then spread that out up to matchday and job done it's just very weak from the Gazette.

We nearly went out of existence in 86 over 2.1 million pounds the equivalent of 6 million today we're about to write that off on Gestede alone the fact that isn't factoring in to local coverage of the 'state' of our club is disgraceful we're staring at taking a 15 million pound striker into League 1 and the people who set the narrative are still handwaving about whether Woodgate needs more patience and regurgitating Rockliffe press conferences.

The press in general is always under scrutiny but the wilful blindness to deep rooted issues stemming from ownership decisions at our football club over the past 5-6 years is absolutely unacceptable in my view. If this was 86 I feel like the Gazette would be throwing Maddren under the bus and claiming the administrators will only want £50 a week as payment I don't know how sinister the motives are of always blowing smoke never spitting fire but I know it's extremely weak and we deserve better.

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

During Al Hasawi's ownership they subjected him to huge scrutiny, they published every financial detail available to them throughout hos tenure because of the scepticism of the ownership locally even the Britt sale they put alot into covering why it happened the context and finances of the deal etc.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/sport-opinion/seeing-fawaz-al-hasawi-pop-2908392

Just on the Forest thing, I'd say one definite thing that I think is the difference and one which may be, at a push.

The definite thing is that in this article, Fawaz Al Hasawi is no longer the owner at the time of writing. It's much easier to criticise an entity which no longer exists within your midst, you've no reason to protect them and every reason to attack them (certainly in this situation with him). And the Gazette might not have any recent history of doing it with owners but they do have history of taking down people who no longer work at the club; Victor Orta stands out as the biggie.

The other thing, there's no evidence that I know of so I'm not gonna accuse anyone of anything. But I do sincerely wonder if Fawaz Al Hasawi was a white British man, who was a born and raised in Nottingham, that he'd have had the same level of scrutiny. We know that the press in general in our country do, either consciously or unconsciously, have a bias towards local people. That doesn't mean Al Hasawi never did anything wrong and that they should take their criticisms away, not at all. More that perhaps Gibson gets away with more because he's a white man born and raised in Middlesbrough, if we were owned by a foreign businessman, I'm not so sure that they'd have the same ability to avoid scrutiny.

12 minutes ago, p_mards said:

The latest blind faith article by the Evening Gazette is propaganda that North Korea would be proud of. The sports team’s toes must be curling having to publish this “head in the sand” puff piece:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-50m-worth-hot-prospects-17834434.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I'm not clicking it, but let me guess that it's an article about how our youngsters could benefit the club financially and also on the pitch while they're still here, and it doesn't mention the possibility of relegation once in the entire article?

4 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

That’s something else that annoys me that they think we’re gonna read crap like that and be like oh yeah everything is fine after all.

A lot of people did last summer. 

He should be scrutinised and questioned about his awful recruitment of people to senior positions in the club.

The way we have capitulated since promotion has been nothing short of disastrous, it shows there has been some serious incompetence at the top of the club since 2016. Including Gibson.

• Like 1

I wonder if we will ever see Gibson attend a fan phone in or a public forum again. He is under mass scrutiny right now, plus more and more fans arent buying into the PR such as the Gazette article above. 

This summer (assuming we avoid relegation) it seems possible that Ben Gibson could be signed and will be seen as a signing to show how ambitious we are as part of this summer's PR. 

• Like 1

"An England U20 international, Tav is admired by many at St George’s for a reason. With his ability to receive in tight areas and his intelligent movement to create space, I’d love to see him played a little more centrally.

If you consider the type of role David Silva has been so successful in for Man City or even, dare I say it, Lionel Messi at Barcelona, that's the type of influence I think he is capable of having for the Boro."

Jesus Christ 😂

5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

What's wrong with comparing Tavernier to Messi and Silva?  People are just being negative for the sake of it now 😡

Right now I dont feel negative towards the situation. The entire article is such propaganda spin/rose tinted that its funny to me now.

3 hours ago, DanBoro93 said:

"An England U20 international, Tav is admired by many at St George’s for a reason. With his ability to receive in tight areas and his intelligent movement to create space, I’d love to see him played a little more centrally.

If you consider the type of role David Silva has been so successful in for Man City or even, dare I say it, Lionel Messi at Barcelona, that's the type of influence I think he is capable of having for the Boro."

Jesus Christ 😂

WTF who wrote that? 

1 minute ago, Duvel said:
3 hours ago, DanBoro93 said:

Jesus Christ 😂

WTF who wrote that? 

Jesus Christ.  It says it right there at the bottom 🙄

• Haha 1