oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson's stranglehold on scrutiny?

2 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Pulis is quite right about some of Monk's signings being poor, yes  its a pity Monk didn't have the sense like Pulis,  to buy quality bargain buy players like George Saville and Aden Flint, and bring a class striker in on loan like Hugill, he may well have kept his job.

In fairness at least we got our money (or at least the majority?) back on Flint, thankfully. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are other people's views on how whether there is sufficient scrutiny on the Club internally and externally such as through the Evening Gazette and BBC Tees?. My post in the "Should Jonathan Woodg

Outstanding post. When Sajid Javid resigned from Government, he said it was necessary to speak truth to power. That applies everywhere, including at MFC. And we can't rely on the usual agents to

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the

Posted Images

14 hours ago, p_mards said:

Garry Monk's transfer business in the Summer of 2017 set us back 2 or 3 years according to the Evening Gibson:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-pulis-garry-monks-disastrous-17862203

It's beyond doubt that it caused us long term financial pressure, but it doesn't excuse Woodgate's underperformance. There's no direct criticism of anyone other than Garry Monk though. Look, look, it was all Monk's fault!. Lets all boo him!. Just look how terrible his gelled hair is!.

There's no scrutiny of why Gibson authorised such a reckless transfer spend. I'm especially baffled about why we spent £21.5 million on Assombalonga and Fletcher when we already had a superior striker, Patrick Bamford, here who we then had to sell 12 months later due to us needing to clear up the financial mess that the reckless 2017 spend caused.

Reads like the character assassinations we got of Karanka, Orta and everyone else with a hint of hispanic blood after we were relegated.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I do get what people are saying and it's been very well articulated, especially from the OP but Gibson can choose whatever management style he wants.

If the fans want a say, then have a proper fan assembly with proper routes into the club. We have allowed this to happen just as much has Gibson has, if we want real change we need to do more than vocalise it on football forums or social media

7 hours ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I do get what people are saying and it's been very well articulated, especially from the OP but Gibson can choose whatever management style he wants.

If the fans want a say, then have a proper fan assembly with proper routes into the club. We have allowed this to happen just as much has Gibson has, if we want real change we need to do more than vocalise it on football forums or social media

Fan groups do meet with the club, but I doubt Gibson is going to listen to them about how to run the football club. And I don't think it's the right way either. Fan groups  can have some decent views on how to engage with the fans and make the whole matchday experience better and get closer to the fans on a day-to-day basis.

Gibson shouldn't listen to who fans want as manager or how we should play. However he should arm himself with someone who actually knows the inside out of football. Instead of paying a player 30-40k in the championship he needs to go out and pay someone big bucks to work behind the scenes calling the right shots. For me that's money well spent.

Things went sour with Orta, but he did build a promotion winning team together with our then manager and assembled a group of players that actually fit together. We need someone behind the scenes who know what they are doing. Someone should have told Monk that he didn't have a real plan. Someone should have told Gibson that hiring Pulis was wrong as it was a totally different direction from what we did 6 months earlier and it would be too expensive to change. Failing that, someone should have told Pulis what the hell he was doing and why he was building a team out of central midfielders. 

The club simply lacks a football rudder.

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Bringing this topic back as it seems extremely relevant. What do we think happens now with fan attitude towards the complete ineptitude of SG year after year? 

I worry two things:

1. There isn't enough desire from fans to take him to task, Monk, Pulis, Woodgate and now Warnock will be in the firing line as our managers inevitably end up taking the brunt of the blame and fans just aren't seeing the bigger picture.

2. The media support in doing so is benign, national media doesn't care and local media are beholden to him.

Gibson took us to highs unfathomable but his old-fashioned philosophies are dragging us back down to some of the lowest lows we've had since he took over.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I worry two things:

1. There isn't enough desire from fans to take him to task, Monk, Pulis, Woodgate and now Warnock will be in the firing line as our managers inevitably end up taking the brunt of the blame and fans just aren't seeing the bigger picture.

2. The media support in doing so is benign, national media doesn't care and local media are beholden to him.

Gibson took us to highs unfathomable but his old-fashioned philosophies are dragging us back down to some of the lowest lows we've had since he took over.

I think even the most loyal of Gibson fanboys are starting to wake up. If we go down then he will have a lot to answer for.

With regards to your second point, spot on. He's taking inspiration from his tory mates.

• Like 1

He had the opportunity when karanka got us promoted, he only needed to back him, and we could of stayed in the Premier league. Then he could of sold the club or atleast brought in some extra investment to help maintain our position, but as someone else pointed out, Steve s*** himself at the thought of pumping millions into the club to keep us afloat. 

54 minutes ago, Johnmfc81 said:

He had the opportunity when karanka got us promoted, he only needed to back him, and we could of stayed in the Premier league. Then he could of sold the club or atleast brought in some extra investment to help maintain our position, but as someone else pointed out, Steve s*** himself at the thought of pumping millions into the club to keep us afloat. 

We signed loads of players and Gibson backed him.  We made lots of completely useless signings, I'm not sure that can he down to him unless he was choosing the likes of Fischer, Espinosa, Barragan, Guzan, Fabio.  Most of them completely pointless signings who contributed nothing to us.  They weren't playing for free.

• Like 1

although ill always like gibson for what hes done for the club, by no means is he above scrutiny and has to take a chunk of the blame for the current situation. 
first mistake was not backing Karanka in January when in the prem, then sacking him only to replace him with Agnew for the rest of the season.  then bringing in Monk which seemed like a good appointment and backing him to the hill with 50 mil only to sack him after 6 months. He needed a season at least to show what he could do, also  sacking a mananger after a win is something ill never understand. Then when the fans were already deflated, he brought in the man renowned for playing the dullest football on the planet, tony Pulis. watching pulis ball was the worst experience of life as a boro fan, i actually found myself wanting us to lose games just so he would get sacked thats how depressing i found it and i know i wasnt alone in that view. after 18 months the horror of the pulis era ends only to replaced by the inept woodgate, an unproven manager taking over a club that needed an experienced man at the helm. the woodgate saga just compounded the doom and gloom and has left us destined for league 1, how woodgate survived so long after twice going 10 games without a win is beyond me. where was that loyalty when monk was in charge?

it seems gibson it just doing one bad decision after another, and tbh you could trace all the mistakes as far back as the sacking of southgate when we were coming 3rd, again a sacking a manager after a win.  the appointment of strachen etc. 

Appointing karanka is arguably the only decision he has got right in the past 12 years. 

Honestly not sure where we go from here. but club needs a complete overhaul and copy the formula of modern successful club as currently, it we appear to be stuck in the dark ages with no sign of light. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I worry two things:

Gibson is still untouchable in a lot of fans eyes and the Gazette's 24/7 propaganda towards him won't change that either. 

The Woodgate appointment was utterly ridiculous but you still had lots of people on this board and social media blowing smoke up Gibson's ***. 

The Gazette and the Gibson cheerleaders are partly to blame for where we are as well. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

I worry two things:

My worry is that he is about to take us back to exactly where he found us!