oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson's stranglehold on scrutiny?

Just now, Rioch's Braves said:

The problem you have is who would seriously invest in this club, the way its  been ran its not a very good proposition at the moment, so unless there's some secret multi millionaire die hard Boro fan lurking somewhere I honestly can't see where the investment would come from.

And, y'know... look at Wigan. Look at Bury. It'd be like sucking the poison out only to be thrown into a vat of acid.

• Like 2
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are other people's views on how whether there is sufficient scrutiny on the Club internally and externally such as through the Evening Gazette and BBC Tees?. My post in the "Should Jonathan Woodg

Outstanding post. When Sajid Javid resigned from Government, he said it was necessary to speak truth to power. That applies everywhere, including at MFC. And we can't rely on the usual agents to

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

The problem you have is who would seriously invest in this club, the way its  been ran its not a very good proposition at the moment, so unless there's some secret multi millionaire die hard Boro fan lurking somewhere I honestly can't see where the investment would come from.

I agree. Hence the stick or twist. I'd twist personally as I'd sooner take the chance instead of what I deem to be the inevitable.

Of course, the other arguement is accountability. Sure it's Gibson's club. I mean he owns it right?! But then, when you own a football club you have a responsibility to the town and fanbase it represents. There's a big failing here. If you look at the decisions over the last 10 years, how many could really be classed as competent?

2 hours ago, thomas said:

Theres some very good points in here but the problem is because Gibson saved this club and gave us players like Ravenelli, Juninho and Emerson then gave us winning our first cup and getting to uefa cup final. He will think rightfully or wrongfully that this is his club to run how he pleases and the fans have had a good deal compared to what they had before he took over which is true. Theres alot of supporters who dont disagree with that they will sit through unconditionally in the stadium because of what Gibsons done in the past and never speak out against him. 

I dont think Gibson by himself can fund premier league football anymore so I think thats now a pipe dream of us, I think he can do the championship with the right stable manager and recruitment team who will find decent players at a bargain and good tactics/coaching to get the most of the players.  The problem is getting someone like Woodgate in who doesn't know how to do that will alienate the crowd along with making bad recruitment decisions . You look at Mowbrays team and the players I think there was a appreciation that these weren't the best players in championship but they were solid and Mowbray usually got the best out of them and the crowd responded well to it. 

Going back to the question of will fans turn against Gibson, I think some will but there wont be enough of them to make him leave because of the ones that argue hes made himself god of the club by bailing them out and giving them good times theyve never had before.

The mistake in that thinking is losing touch with the growing % of our fan base for who there was no ‘before’. Personally I started going to boro games under mcclaren, I have no idea (other than what I read) and no connection with what happened and where we were before that. 
Think of the amount of supporters we have who are 20-25 some may have caught the europa league run, but most will only know championship football and premiership relegations. 
There are plenty of supporters now who’s only experience of Gibson’s boro is 90% failure.

• Like 3

1986 was 34 years ago. To have had any memory, experience or emotional attachment to that era would mean that the Fan would be at least early 40's and more likely mid to late and above. Those below that age bracket will just know of Gibson as the bloke who owns the Boro. 

Older fans who do recollect and lived through '86 will cut him more slack but that "slack" along with goodwill has been diminishing at an alarming rate these last few years, perhaps turning to indifference at best. That's a huge proportion of the current fan base who have little or no real sentiment to his legacy.

Let’s be frank and ask yourself, do you honestly think SG gives a flying f**k what we the fans think. Obviously not in the slightest given his decision since Karanka reign and what I now believe his deliberate intention of withdrawing the clubs status in the Premier. We will never know why but we can guess and it could be he has either lost interest or can’t afford to maintain the clubs position. If the latter then the question would need to be asked, why didn’t he seek investment and by the fact he didn’t the only conclusion could be, he lost interest. 

Red Bull were interested in getting involved with us a few years back. Wonder if they're still interested, at a lower price? They wouldn't want to change the club's name based on past takeovers, but I'd happily see us play at the RB Riverside if they appointed a DoF and developed a long-term vision for our style of play and, oh you know, all the stuff Steve Gibson used to do in the Noughties.

I put this question in the match day thread but, serious question, is there any other club in the land that gives their chairman godlike status and forgives him for every mistake he makes regardless of how disastrous it has been for their club?

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Boro Scot said:

Have to say that this was extremely baffling! Get Warnock in March and give him time to get to know players etc.

Warnock is 71, he was shielding from Covid-19 which is probably why he couldn't come up any earlier. Not saying that's the sole reason Gibson waited to sack Woodgate but it was probably a factor.

Well I can claim absolutely zero inside knowledge and don't even make a habit of reading the Gazette any more, but even a blind person could see that things are rotten at the club from top to bottom, based on most of the things p-mards mentioned in his original post.

Player recruitment - an absolute joke the last few seasons. No obvious plan with regard to building a competent, balanced team, with adequate cover in all areas. Always seems to be late rush-jobs, getting anyone who's cheap / free and available. Or occasionally splurging on a "big name" thats out of favour at their club. Hence the lamentable squad we're currently lumbered with. Also not helped by the frequent changes of management.

Coaching - non-existent for quite some time, as far as I can tell. At least since Karanka left anyway. Players actually seem to get worse instead of better.

Management - no stability for the last few seasons. None of the incumbents has had the chance to really put their stamp on the team. Major contributing factor to the state of the squad with lots of players leaving / coming in and changes in playing philosophy.

Chairman / Board - well the buck ultimately stops with them (or maybe just Gibson). I would very much like to know just what the hell they've been doing since 2009. From the outside, it looks like they've spent most of their time faffing around at Rockliffe Park, playing golf, having saunas or whatever.

They certainly haven't spent much time planning the club's future. We had 4 seasons of parachute payments after getting relegated, which gave us 1 season to have a crack at bouncing back, followed by 3 of consolidating in the Championship, if it didn't work out. Also sacked Southgate after just 13 games, while we were in a reasonable run of form. First knee-jerk sacking IMO.

Since then, we've had periods of boom & bust (more bust though). They clearly didn't manage the transition from PL to Championship very well, as the club has had to undergo drastic cost-cutting. We've brought in managers on short term contracts to keep us afloat on a shoestring budget.

Sacked our most capable manager in recent history...a guy who somehow managed to get us promoted, over...personality clashes?

Infamously got Garry Monk in and loosened the purse strings so we could "smash the league" - then sacked him after just half a season. Okay we didn't look like getting promoted, but also smacks of idiotic, short-term thinking.

Nowhere in all this can I see any evidence of simply getting a manager in on a reasonable (3 year) contract and simply giving them time, plus reasonable resources to just rebuild the club to a stable, healthy position...without the pressure of either keeping us up, or getting us promoted.

No evidence of trying to recruit competent coaching staff, to go along with our top-class training facilities.

No evidence of trying to build a scouting network, or appointing a director of football to help get our player recruitment on track.

This collective of clowns (again - maybe mostly Gibson) has managed nothing over the last 11 years...except to make the club a laughing stock.

And I haven't even mentioned Woodgate yet...oh bugger!

On this evidence I can understand why Gibson wants to avoid scrutiny by the media. But even without that, its plain for all to see that he has horribly mis-managed the club for some time now.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For me the best possible outcome is that SG remains chairman and handles finances etc but relinquishes most if not all control of the footballing decisions made at the club to an experienced DOF. Who can mould the club into the free-flowing and attacking style of football they want to play. 

However the reason I say he needs to go is how likely is that on a scale of 1-10? 

The club is all over the place and full of people who are inept at what they do and have been for years. We need

- A experienced DOF

- A experienced Manager who plays the way we want the club to play (using a rookie like Woodgate to change an entire clubs philosophy after Pulis etc was always extremely unlikely to end well) 

- A COMPLETELY NEW transfer recruitment and scouting team and system. (Players should be signed that fit the philosophy and style the club want to play moving forward) as we have seen time and time again at Middlesbrough In recent years, square pegs in round holes DOES NOT WORK. 

- Revisit the foreign market. this is by far the most baffling thing to me that we seem to have stopped completely. Yes championship experience is needed, but the value for money in this country is appalling. £6m for Gestede and £7m for Saville?! How far would that money have gone abroad with the correct recruitment team in place. 

but as previously mentioned I can’t for the life of me see SG doing any of these things so the only other option is for him to sell up because he is only taking this club one way and that’s down. Over 30 years ago he saved the club and yes everyone should be extremely  grateful and will forever be a Boro hero but things now NEED to change before that legacy is slowly tarnished.

• Like 3

The top of the club needs an overhaul. Steve Gibson needs to accept he has made a lot of poor decisions in the last 4 years. Time to take a step back and let a DOF take control. 

Fundamentally Steve Gibson is not qualified to appoint football managers or shape a football club. He doesn't know what to look for or how to execute it. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, TheJew said:

I agree. Hence the stick or twist. I'd twist personally as I'd sooner take the chance instead of what I deem to be the inevitable.

Of course, the other arguement is accountability. Sure it's Gibson's club. I mean he owns it right?! But then, when you own a football club you have a responsibility to the town and fanbase it represents. There's a big failing here. If you look at the decisions over the last 10 years, how many could really be classed as competent?

Very few competent decisions have been made by Gibson, I totally get were your coming from because being a Boro fan at the moment is not only frustrating but so sad, the direction the clubs is going is shambolic and I'm not just talking about relegation, if there is light at the end of the tunnel then its a bloody long tunnel because I can't see it.

• Like 1
Just now, TheHolgate said:

The top of the club needs an overhaul. Steve Gibson needs to accept he has made a lot of poor decisions in the last 4 years. Time to take a step back and let a DOF take control. 

Fundamentally Steve Gibson is not qualified to appoint football managers or shape a football club. He doesn't know what to look for or how to execute it. 

Absolutely spot on.