oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson's stranglehold on scrutiny?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are other people's views on how whether there is sufficient scrutiny on the Club internally and externally such as through the Evening Gazette and BBC Tees?. My post in the "Should Jonathan Woodg

Outstanding post. When Sajid Javid resigned from Government, he said it was necessary to speak truth to power. That applies everywhere, including at MFC. And we can't rely on the usual agents to

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the

Posted Images

17 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

I wonder if Villa will find themselves in a bit of bother especially if they get relegated. I seem to remember they were being scrutinised last season.

I've been wanting to get them relegated all year as I'm sure they spent much more than allowed when they won promotion. I want to see them back down and punished. Even more so now when there is seemingly more focus on the FFP rules.

41 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I've been wanting to get them relegated all year as I'm sure they spent much more than allowed when they won promotion. I want to see them back down and punished. Even more so now when there is seemingly more focus on the FFP rules.

I’m sure QPR did a similar thing a while ago (When Redknapp was in charge) and ended getting a £5m fine. Which is Paltry compared to how much money a season in the premier league earns you 

On 3/5/2020 at 5:14 PM, p_mards said:

Garry Monk's transfer business in the Summer of 2017 set us back 2 or 3 years according to the Evening Gibson:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tony-pulis-garry-monks-disastrous-17862203

It's beyond doubt that it caused us long term financial pressure, but it doesn't excuse Woodgate's underperformance. There's no direct criticism of anyone other than Garry Monk though. Look, look, it was all Monk's fault!. Lets all boo him!. Just look how terrible his gelled hair is!.

There's no scrutiny of why Gibson authorised such a reckless transfer spend. I'm especially baffled about why we spent £21.5 million on Assombalonga and Fletcher when we already had a superior striker, Patrick Bamford, here who we then had to sell 12 months later due to us needing to clear up the financial mess that the reckless 2017 spend caused.

Exactly. A manager only spends what the chairman gives them.

This is where a Director of Football earns their pay - vetting potential transfer targets and deciding whether 1) they will work with / improve the current setup and 2) if they are worth the asking price.

Most managers should really have someone they can use as a sounding board when it comes to transfers - especially younger / newer ones who are liable to be like kids in a candy store.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AnglianRed said:

Exactly. A manager only spends what the chairman gives them.

This is where a Director of Football earns their pay - vetting potential transfer targets and deciding whether 1) they will work with / improve the current setup and 2) if they are worth the asking price.

Most managers should really have someone they can use as a sounding board when it comes to transfers - especially younger / newer ones who are liable to be like kids in a candy store.

Exactly. My Danish team is a huge proof of that. For the past 25 years we've been a laughing stock in Denmark. Very similar to Leeds really. Second biggest city in Denmark, huge fanbase and historically one of the biggest clubs in Denmark. But until three years ago we were absolute shambles. Dire financials, three relegations in about 8 years and the club was riddled with old players in senior positions doing each other favors and a new manager every other year.

What happens? The board hired a CEO with a proven record of running a football club and gave him almost free reign. He in turn hires a Director of Football with good credentials and they together find the right up and coming manager with enough experience to suggest he knows what he is doing. The manager and DoF identifies where the team needs strengthening and the DoF is using his network to bring in some excellent players that fits in perfectly and fills the right position. Inside three years we're now in third position battling for second place and we're selling players that break our records. It sounds so easy, but it shows just how important it is to have senior staff who know exactly what they are doing. Older and underperforming players have been ruthlessly moved on quickly without sentiment. If you're not good enough or you're not pulling you're weight, then you're out in the next window. It's been great to watch on the sidelines as every decision just seem to follow a red string and everything is carefully planned and nothing is left to circumstances. That is how to run a football club. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Exactly. My Danish team is a huge proof of that. For the past 25 years we've been a laughing stock in Denmark. Very similar to Leeds really. Second biggest city in Denmark, huge fanbase and historically one of the biggest clubs in Denmark. But until three years ago we were absolute shambles. Dire financials, three relegations in about 8 years and the club was riddled with old players in senior positions doing each other favors and a new manager every other year.

What happens? The board hired a CEO with a proven record of running a football club and gave him almost free reign. He in turn hires a Director of Football with good credentials and they together find the right up and coming manager with enough experience to suggest he knows what he is doing. The manager and DoF identifies where the team needs strengthening and the DoF is using his network to bring in some excellent players that fits in perfectly and fills the right position. Inside three years we're now in third position battling for second place and we're selling players that break our records. It sounds so easy, but it shows just how important it is to have senior staff who know exactly what they are doing. Older and underperforming players have been ruthlessly moved on quickly without sentiment. If you're not good enough or you're not pulling you're weight, then you're out in the next window. It's been great to watch on the sidelines as every decision just seem to follow a red string and everything is carefully planned and nothing is left to circumstances. That is how to run a football club. 

Your mission agent @Borodane is to kidnap them all and ship them to the Riverside immediately.......

This message will self destruct in 5....4...3.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Well this is something North Korea state media would be proud of:
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jaundiced-perception-middlesbrough-industrial-hell-18815664.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Finger pointing at absolutely anywhere but Steve Gibson. The Club and the Evening Gazette are an absolute disgrace.

I've said in another thread it's very suspect how this piece has been published at the end of a fruitless week of player negotiations, but I'm struggling to disagree with anything in the article itself.

2 hours ago, p_mards said:

Well this is something North Korea state media would be proud of:
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jaundiced-perception-middlesbrough-industrial-hell-18815664.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Finger pointing at absolutely anywhere but Steve Gibson. The Club and the Evening Gazette are an absolute disgrace.

It’s soon going to officially change its name to the Evening Gibson. 

• Haha 1

Burnley are from one of the less glamorous places in the country, but still manage to regularly recruit good Premier League players as they’re a very well run club.

I’m sick to death of the excuses, scapegoats and deflection tactics from Gibson via the Evening Gazette and other local media. It’s like we’ve morphed into the Tory party under Boris - absolutely incompetent. Gibson needs to actually acknowledge the awful mess that we’re in and implement drastic changes to improve things, instead of being obsessed with PR and spin.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Burnley are from one of the less glamorous places in the country, but still manage to regularly recruit good Premier League players as they’re a very well run club.

I’m sick to death of the excuses, scapegoats and deflection tactics from Gibson via the Evening Gazette and other local media. It’s like we’ve morphed into the Tory party under Boris - absolutely incompetent. Gibson needs to actually acknowledge the awful mess that we’re in and implement drastic changes to improve things, instead of being obsessed with PR and spin.

Don’t underestimate the draw of the premier league. Also they qualified for Europe on the 18/19 season which is a pretty big draw too. Like Boro their players won’t live in the immediate area. Don’t think the situations are comparable really. 

18 minutes ago, Uwe said:

Don’t underestimate the draw of the premier league. Also they qualified for Europe on the 18/19 season which is a pretty big draw too. Like Boro their players won’t live in the immediate area. Don’t think the situations are comparable really. 

Burnley were recruiting well even when in the Championship. Off the top of my head they’ve bought the likes of Pope and Gudmunson from Charlton for peanuts. Same with Ben Mee from Man City. There’s also Scott Arfield, Ashley Barnes, Sam Vokes, Danny Ings and Charlie Austin etc. Their list of shrewd signings in the ChampIonship over the past decade is endless.

As another comparison, when we had a competent plan in place under Karanka within the Championship, we attracted players like Bamford, Vossen, Kike, Nsue, Ramirez and Stuani to move here. Yet now we can’t sign a player because he had a bit of traffic and his missus doesn’t like the steelworks up north. It’s just excuses. The Evening Gazette even reporting this Boro spin is absolutely spineless and pathetic. 

I think it's been misconstrued slightly and framed as if he dislikes the town, I don't doubt he's proud of our heritage himself... but it is once again a cover-up of why we're in this position and a pretty misjudged one at that.

The Gazette would sooner publish an article about the reasons our town is looked down upon by the rest of the country than take a swipe at the team responsible for actually bringing the players in. It's anything but a lack of quality in the recruitment team.

It's certainly one way of framing our problems anyway; Middlesbrough is perceived as a *** hole so what can the club do about that? All this seemingly on the back of one (one!!!!!) individual whose significant other didn't fancy it. That's surely why this article has been written, otherwise what's the point? So one player (this summer) hasn't signed for us because of the area and that demands this level of scrutinising over what makes us so unlikable to others? It's a full-length piece on one factor of recruitment that he feels is being 'lightly dismissed'.

So people are reading this and I think rightly getting angry about it. It's not just that it frames this as an impossible to solve problem, it's primarily about the fact that this is where our local paper would sooner try to determine our struggles to be, sooner shifting the blame onto uncontrollable factors and making that sound like it has more weight to it than their own writers even believe it to have. The club is an infallible fortress of good'uns trying their damned hardest to make things come together and are being bogged down by the 'fact' we exist in an awful place. Those poor sods. 🙄

• Like 1

This is a great thread - when I look at Gibson and some of his actions I scratch my head. When we hired Woodgate and look at who else we were touted as interviewed I slapped my head - especially consider when you look at how the season unfolded.

That being said - i was waving the Woodgate flag hoping for him to do well as a local lad, the desire to play attacking and attractive football and backed him as much as I could before it was very obvious we were going down. We've seen it before Gibsons hesitation to fire someone and glad he recognized it - even if we had a few months earlier (some would argue even earlier). 

On the flip side. I can see why Gibson has hit out in some ways when you look at the millions every month he has put into the club and feeling the fans don't see or appreciate it. The younger generation also never saw or witnessed the teams of 1986 and I myself was only 4 at the time so was never in a position to understand. 

As for Gazette, a lot was said when they weren't allowed at the club (or said individuals) and honestly felt it was handbags by both parties. I am glad that its "resolved" but i am sure there is some apprehension  what it comes to publishing time. 

• Like 1