oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson's stranglehold on scrutiny?

Just now, Uwe said:

Don’t worry I got it. 

But just remember that this is the Internet. If something can be taken the wrong way, it almost certainly will 👍

I'm glad someone got it, although I guess it was quite an obscure reference for people that don't follow her Twitter!

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are other people's views on how whether there is sufficient scrutiny on the Club internally and externally such as through the Evening Gazette and BBC Tees?. My post in the "Should Jonathan Woodg

Outstanding post. When Sajid Javid resigned from Government, he said it was necessary to speak truth to power. That applies everywhere, including at MFC. And we can't rely on the usual agents to

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the

Posted Images

Just now, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I'm glad someone got it, although I guess it was quite an obscure reference for people that don't follow her Twitter!

I use to to follow her but stopped after she was openly mocking Boro fans. (I do understand that some people were being ***) however history has shown us that if she does become a chief executive/owner of MFC those posts will resurface 🤨

Just now, Uwe said:

I use to to follow her but stopped after she was openly mocking Boro fans. (I do understand that some people were being ***) however history has shown us that if she does become a chief executive/owner of MFC those posts will resurface 🤨

I started following her when she took it upon herself to mock various journalists, especially when they dared to write about her dad.

I sincerely hope she doesn't inherit MFC though, she may be quite a successful businesswoman but she doesn't know a thing about football.

As a Boro fan since 1957 but having moved 60 miles south in 1970, I have not really  been able to follow what seems to have been a gradual 'It's my way or the highway' attitude by Mr Gibson. My familiarity with the Evening Gazette has been reading a month's worth of issues after my visits to my mother in Stockton.

Away from the MFC bubble, Mr G's reputation amongst other supporters is that he is great. But that is probably still based on the first half of his tenure. I think that using his appointment of managers (who, when and how) is a good barometer. 

Accordingly, I have to agree wirh most so far. A mark of 5 out of 10 would be generous. BUT I reckon followers of our two rivals up the road would take him tomorrow!

• Like 3

It's interesting how Gibson gets instant praise from pundits whenever they discuss us. It's like a knee-jerk response on SSN.

Then again, I guess if you don't pay much attention to what happens at MFC, Gibson is still the guy who saved us from locked gates and took us into Europe, gave the PL Ravanelli and Juninho, and appointed two managers who went on to be in charge of England.

I do wonder how long his reputation will survive on former glories before pundits and people largely unconnected to the club start questioning the things we regularly criticise on here.

Look at it from the outside, He pumps Millions into the club (his money he can waste it if he wants) has provided the club with a stable foundation, new stadium, state of the art training ground and supports his managers (rightly or wrongly appointed) 

Pundits don't care if we are successful, play attractive football etc. as long as they don't have to report on the game.

I think it's partially like you say, it probably comes from ignorance of the slowly changing attitude. But then when the ground had an attendance, the fans still chant his name so even if you're a journo who comes to the Riverside every week but otherwise ignores us, what are you gonna think?

It doesn't help that the local media clearly know about but don't represent the changing narrative that exists on social media and forums like ours. A thoroughly extreme example but if you walked into North Korea with none of the knowledge we have of anything they do, say or believe, you could possibly end up believing Kim Jong-un is a God.

1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I started following her when she took it upon herself to mock various journalists, especially when they dared to write about her dad.

I sincerely hope she doesn't inherit MFC though, she may be quite a successful businesswoman but she doesn't know a thing about football.

It would probably be a smooth transition from Dad to daughter then. 

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It doesn't help that the local media clearly know about but don't represent the changing narrative that exists on social media and forums like ours.

Yeah if the Gazette want to write thought provoking stories there's definitely a topic of conversation there. 

Go back 10 years and you would never have had Boro fans openly criticising Gibson. Things have definitely changed. 

I understand why the Gazette won't write about the elephant in the room because it probably puts their access at risk, but they aren't really doing their jobs as journalists either.  

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

It's interesting how Gibson gets instant praise from pundits whenever they discuss us. It's like a knee-jerk response on SSN.

Then again, I guess if you don't pay much attention to what happens at MFC, Gibson is still the guy who saved us from locked gates and took us into Europe, gave the PL Ravanelli and Juninho, and appointed two managers who went on to be in charge of England.

I do wonder how long his reputation will survive on former glories before pundits and people largely unconnected to the club start questioning the things we regularly criticise on here.

And it's not just the Elland Road faithful where I live either who rate SG. I have both Mackem and Mag fans as mates for decades who reckon our chairman is ok. They have all had some shockers in their time though.

2 hours ago, Johnny A said:

And it's not just the Elland Road faithful where I live either who rate SG. I have both Mackem and Mag fans as mates for decades who reckon our chairman is ok. They have all had some shockers in their time though.

Compared to the likes of Shepherd/Hall, Ashley et al, Steve Gibson does look pretty decent! To the best of my knowledge, he's never downed 12 pints during a management meeting in a pub and then puked into a fireplace.

It's just a shame that his historic good deeds tend to negate any criticism from the media, even when it's deserved. 

4 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

It runs in the family. 

On 8/25/2020 at 2:24 PM, RiseAgainst said:

Compared to the likes of Shepherd/Hall, Ashley et al, Steve Gibson does look pretty decent! To the best of my knowledge, he's never downed 12 pints during a management meeting in a pub and then puked into a fireplace.

It's just a shame that his historic good deeds tend to negate any criticism from the media, even when it's deserved. 

And SG won't be the first person to be numero uno at a club he is a fan of...and have his initial investment count for nothing. Elton John lived the dream at Watford but eventually realised he couldn't keep doing it.

Peter Ridsdale did it at Leeds. Put all his trust in David O'Leary regarding players and ended up shouldering all the fans' anger.