oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson's stranglehold on scrutiny?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are other people's views on how whether there is sufficient scrutiny on the Club internally and externally such as through the Evening Gazette and BBC Tees?. My post in the "Should Jonathan Woodg

Outstanding post. When Sajid Javid resigned from Government, he said it was necessary to speak truth to power. That applies everywhere, including at MFC. And we can't rely on the usual agents to

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the

Posted Images

So in the last 24 hours Gibson has been compared to an East German dictator, a nazi and Donald Trump. 

I wonder how the club spies will explain this thread to him 🙈😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Duvel said:

I'm not going to quote your whole post Wilson because it will take up a whole page, but this reply is meant for you. 

I think it was quite clear a few years ago that the 2 gazette reporters were told that they were not welcome anymore at the Riverside, I think the Gazette stayed away from the ground completely while the standoff was taking place. 

As for Slaven I remember he used to drive me mad with his negativity on the radio and it felt totally unnecessary. I know you'll think it's a bit rich me calling someone else negative but Slaven was doing this while we were playing in europe and in the top half of the Premier league. In his defence he has said more recently that he tried to counter balance Ali's rose tinted opinions and even if I didn't agree with Bernie it was his opinion after all. 

I'm sure I remember Slaven on the 3 legends phone in talk regularly about not being welcome at the Riverside and I'm pretty sure that it was down to his perceived negativity towards the club. It's not a good look for the club when the media are being banned from the ground.

As for Maddo I think his situation is a bit more innocent. He strikes me as an optimist at heart so I don't think he'd be slating the club even if he wasn't employed by it. 

I don't think Gibson is Kim Jong Un but I do think that the club don't take criticism well from the local press. I know for a fact that some of the local journos have been invited by the club to parties involving players, staff and chairman in the past and it does feel like the Gazette are in the clubs pocket. 

Is it unfair to expect the Gazette reporters to risk their jobs and club privileges by criticising the club? I'm not sure, I can understand them wanting a nice easy life but as an outsider I don't see the likes of Vickers and Tallantire as having any integrity as journalists if they are afraid to ask challenging questions.  

I think the Gazette could still write articles questioning the direction of the club without being disrespectful.

I think thats quite a reasonable spin on what p mards was saying.

Whether its being done intentionally, or entirely by chance, Gibson and the other executives at the club do seem to be increasingly remote and uninterested / unwilling to connect with the fan base.

This is the worst crisis I can remember the club being in - in a footballing sense (setting aside the insolvency crisis a few years back). Yet the silence from the top is deafening.

All we're getting is Woody's press conferences and pre / post-match statements, which have sounded pretty hollow for a while now. 

Sure, its Gibson's club to run as he sees fit. However, for a local guy and self-professed lifelong fan, who saved the club from liquidation, you would think he would have more empathy with the fans and would be keen to reassure us that he does, in fact, have a plan...that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

At the moment, HMS Boro is sinking rapidly towards League 1, the crew are on the verge of mutiny, Captain Woodgate has locked himself in his cabin with a bottle of whisky and Admiral Gibson is spending most of his time on the golf course, with one eye on retiring from the Navy.

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the Gazette do for Boro. Of course there's a bias and of course there's a tint to the coverage but they're far more critical they actually ask questions about finances/path forward all we ever get from the Gazette is Paylor's streams of fantasy, Vickers apologia and Tarrentire's relentless backside puckering lest we forget the Gazette crowd were all too happy to hit the dancefloor at the clubs private promotion party at Rockliffe 4 years ago. I already know who the Gazette will blame for our relegation to League 1 it'll be that Victor Orta bloke...

As a fan I sit here and 'my' club is about to write off nearly 20 million in transfer fees in 3 months and I get told not to care because it's 'Gibsons money' and when I was questioning paying 5 million plus a head to assemble a Championship squad I get told its 'Gibsons money' and when I say paying nearly 2 million for Dijksteel with 12 months left its 'Gibsons money'. But where does Gibsons money end and MFCs money begin because I care about the latter it was 6 years ago that the hotels profits kept the club afloat now we seem to just have an attitude of *** away money every summer but don't worry its 'Gibsons money' until I get it established that the club actually can have it's own money and maybe you should care about taking a 20 million pound wage bill to League 1 I wont take Gibson/the press seriously at all.

It's just so awkward as a Boro fan mainly in the past 6 years we went from a squad worth 10-12 million in transfer fees to 1 worth 40+ and constantly get told how we're so crap, lucky to have such a responsible chairman, lucky to even attract a cold to Middlesbrough and lucky to have a sugar daddy pouring in heavy investment in to keep us afloat yet we're somehow staring at League 1.

The people who see the squad value and wage bill/were alive 6 years ago in the media whether it's Maddison or the Gazette guys I can't believe they don't see the same things I see they just never bring it up. It 's like last season when Pulis was getting fawned over in December by the Gazette I brought up on here many times at the point we sacked Monk Pulis only had 2 extra points I think yet according to the Gazette's narrative Pulis was doing a blinding job I don't think they're stupid I just think they're often very selectively ignorant for self serving reasons not for reasons in the best interest of the readers or the health of the credibility of their coverage.

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the Gazette do for Boro. Of course there's a bias and of course there's a tint to the coverage but they're far more critical they actually ask questions about finances/path forward all we ever get from the Gazette is Paylor's streams of fantasy, Vickers apologia and Tarrentire's relentless backside puckering lest we forget the Gazette crowd were all too happy to hit the dancefloor at the clubs private promotion party at Rockliffe 4 years ago. I already know who the Gazette will blame for our relegation to League 1 it'll be that Victor Orta bloke...

As a fan I sit here and 'my' club is about to write off nearly 20 million in transfer fees in 3 months and I get told not to care because it's 'Gibsons money' and when I was questioning paying 5 million plus a head to assemble a Championship squad I get told its 'Gibsons money' and when I say paying nearly 2 million for Dijksteel with 12 months left its 'Gibsons money'. But where does Gibsons money end and MFCs money begin because I care about the latter it was 6 years ago that the hotels profits kept the club afloat now we seem to just have an attitude of *** away money every summer but don't worry its 'Gibsons money' until I get it established that the club actually can have it's own money and maybe you should care about taking a 20 million pound wage bill to League 1 I wont take Gibson/the press seriously at all.

It's just so awkward as a Boro fan mainly in the past 6 years we went from a squad worth 10-12 million in transfer fees to 1 worth 40+ and constantly get told how we're so crap, lucky to have such a responsible chairman, lucky to even attract a cold to Middlesbrough and lucky to have a sugar daddy pouring in heavy investment in to keep us afloat yet we're somehow staring at League 1.

The people who see the squad value and wage bill/were alive 6 years ago in the media whether it's Maddison or the Gazette guys I can't believe they don't see the same things I see they just never bring it up. It 's like last season when Pulis was getting fawned over in December by the Gazette I brought up on here many times at the point we sacked Monk Pulis only had 2 extra points I think yet according to the Gazette's narrative Pulis was doing a blinding job I don't think they're stupid I just think they're often very selectively ignorant for self serving reasons not for reasons in the best interest of the readers or the health of the credibility of their coverage.

What a post 👍. I truly believe the club will only begin to heal when the Gazette, Radio Tees and those around Gibson are allowed to speak honestly. Its seeing your cruise ship is sinking and everyone else on board is carrying on as normal. Frightening.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

Maybe that's the plan - to make us so s**t Red Bull become interested in rescuing us from lower league obscurity. Then we'll definitely make it to the Premier League. Trebles all round!

Then we can all look forward to supporting Red Bull Middelsburg, with a new kit and club crest...

ZTtooNw.png

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Duvel said:

So in the last 24 hours Gibson has been compared to an East German dictator, a nazi and Donald Trump. 

I wonder how the club spies will explain this thread to him 🙈😂 

I think it's safe to say that they won't 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2