oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson's stranglehold on scrutiny?

Theres some very good points in here but the problem is because Gibson saved this club and gave us players like Ravenelli, Juninho and Emerson then gave us winning our first cup and getting to uefa cup final. He will think rightfully or wrongfully that this is his club to run how he pleases and the fans have had a good deal compared to what they had before he took over which is true. Theres alot of supporters who dont disagree with that they will sit through unconditionally in the stadium because of what Gibsons done in the past and never speak out against him. 

I dont think Gibson by himself can fund premier league football anymore so I think thats now a pipe dream of us, I think he can do the championship with the right stable manager and recruitment team who will find decent players at a bargain and good tactics/coaching to get the most of the players.  The problem is getting someone like Woodgate in who doesn't know how to do that will alienate the crowd along with making bad recruitment decisions . You look at Mowbrays team and the players I think there was a appreciation that these weren't the best players in championship but they were solid and Mowbray usually got the best out of them and the crowd responded well to it. 

Going back to the question of will fans turn against Gibson, I think some will but there wont be enough of them to make him leave because of the ones that argue hes made himself god of the club by bailing them out and giving them good times theyve never had before. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What are other people's views on how whether there is sufficient scrutiny on the Club internally and externally such as through the Evening Gazette and BBC Tees?. My post in the "Should Jonathan Woodg

Outstanding post. When Sajid Javid resigned from Government, he said it was necessary to speak truth to power. That applies everywhere, including at MFC. And we can't rely on the usual agents to

I have a real fundamental problem with the way we're ran and the way the club is covered by our local press living in Nottingham let me tell you the Post has very different coverage of Forest than the

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Gibson is still untouchable in a lot of fans eyes and the Gazette's 24/7 propaganda towards him won't change that either. 

The Woodgate appointment was utterly ridiculous but you still had lots of people on this board and social media blowing smoke up Gibson's ***. 

The Gazette and the Gibson cheerleaders are partly to blame for where we are as well. 

Who are the Gibson cheerleaders on this forum would you say? 🤔

1 minute ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think this forum is typical of Boro fans.  Fmttm is more typical of the fan base.  Come on Boro attracts the section that don't suit the style here.

I think relegation to League One would rip the scales off many people's eyes. You don't get relegated twice in five years unless you're making some pretty abysmal decisions/appointments. Steaua and Basel feel like a lifetime ago, and apart from Karanka, he hasn't got much right in the last decade.

After this season in particular, can anyone honestly claim Steve Gibson is a king? More like a denuded emperor.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Go back and read the threads from when Woodgate was appointed 

Gibson leaked to the Gazette on background at least 3 different times this season that Woodgate is not at fault for our situation and while relegation is not something 'the club' want it is accepted that it's a possibility that was our supposed lord and saviour sticking his head 10 foot deep in Saltburn beach all because he gave the keys to a moron and somewhere along the line realised a 20% win percentage manager would likely take us down but gotta stick by him!

Remember that when you get the woe is Gibson stories if we get relegated about how much money he's put in etc. Reality is we are horribly managed financially we hold onto multi million pound players for too long we let players who we have 5/6/7 million invested in in transfer fee alone walk instead of offloading the summer before whole hierarchy is rotten.

'Who'd invest in Middlesbrough FC' line that Gibson's defenders throw out gets me riled up beyond belief you have a crown prince owning Sheffield United the entire Saudi royal family buying Newcastle and Wolves were bought by a Chinese firm worth billions is Wolverhampton such a more attractive area than Middlesbrough? It's a crock of ****.

We gave Johnny Woodgate our football club gave him full reign to live his dream and we'll probably get relegated because of it sure there'd be no Middlesbrough FC without Steve Gibson but if this keeps up there will be no one left to support Hurworth FC because we're ran by Gibson and his unsackable mates from their Rockliffe offices there's no accountability, no standards, no vision and no hope.

Strachan era was about as low as I felt as a Boro fan but the past year has surpassed it we're ran badly in every department by people who have no business still being here and a chairman who's self destructing everything he built back during the Karanka era. Cut the budget back put none of your own money in sell everyone and get in trialists and loans that way I wont get condescending BS every transfer window like the only players in the world are 7 million pound Saville its the 'market' its 'Gibsons money why do you care' I mean without new ownership whatever ambition we as fans have will always be curtailed by the same BS from the people who run the club so what is the point.

• Like 3

I’ll never understand why he backed Monk so strongly in the transfer market, asked him to bring attacking football back after the dour football in the PL (how we’d love that now!) and then sacked him before the end of the year. To then replace him with Pulis - who would never have wanted Monks players and alienated a fair few of them within weeks - was just ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Steve Gibson thinks in sentences where other football men think in joined-up paragraphs. It probably never occurred to him that Pulis wouldn't want Monk's signings - he just thought "ooh, we're in a pickle here, Tony Parsimony will save the day."

Our furious yo-yoing between diametrically opposed managerial styles is one of the biggest reasons we're staring into the abyss of League One now. No long-term vision, no overarching strategy, no club ethos, just a desperate pursuit of the latest counter-counter-revolution.

• Like 4
34 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

I’ll never understand why he backed Monk so strongly in the transfer market, asked him to bring attacking football back after the dour football in the PL (how we’d love that now!) and then sacked him before the end of the year. To then replace him with Pulis - who would never have wanted Monks players and alienated a fair few of them within weeks - was just ridiculous. 

I think it's important to remember that even though Monk spent money that summer, we also gained a lot of revenue through player sales and saving on wages and parachute payments.

I remember seeing the figures for that 1st season in the Championship and they were more or less even had we bounced back straight away. What crippled us was the following season when we didn't didn't go and only reached the play offs.

People blame Monk for financially crippling us and I don't necessarily think that's true.

• Like 2

Appointing Woodgate was a big mistake but allowing him to stay in charge over the COVID pandemic shutdown and then sacking him after 1 match back is absolutely criminal. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Ayresome7 said:

Appointing Woodgate was a big mistake but allowing him to stay in charge over the COVID pandemic shutdown and then sacking him after 1 match back is absolutely criminal. 

Have to say that this was extremely baffling! Get Warnock in March and give him time to get to know players etc.

• Like 1

As sad as it is to write this, Gibson has to go. 

With him at the helm the club is dying a slow and painful death. Baffling decisions have been ongoing ever since Southgate got sacked and anyone who endorsed signing Gestede really needs their head checking.

It has been a mess for a long time with the only light being Karanka. Stick or twist with Gibson, but if we stick I fear we are doomed already. Twist and we may have a chance.

2 minutes ago, TheJew said:

As sad as it is to write this, Gibson has to go. 

With him at the helm the club is dying a slow and painful death. Baffling decisions have been ongoing ever since Southgate got sacked and anyone who endorsed signing Gestede really needs their head checking.

It has been a mess for a long time with the only light being Karanka. Stick or twist with Gibson, but if we stick I fear we are doomed already. Twist and we may have a chance.

The problem you have is who would seriously invest in this club, the way its  been ran its not a very good proposition at the moment, so unless there's some secret multi millionaire die hard Boro fan lurking somewhere I honestly can't see where the investment would come from.