oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson Out

I created a thread a while back as one of the first to call SG out on his failures in recent years. The responses were understandably mixed at the time but I’d like to hear people’s thoughts on it now.

Personally I have 0 faith in him as a football owner anymore.  

Since the glory days of the UEFA Cup Final, SG has made 1 good footballing decision for this club which was to hire Aitor Karanka. Whether that’s managerial appointments, transfer policy/recruitment or the general running of the club. If anyone disagrees I’d love to hear another thing he has done correct in that time period. 

The club is only going in one direction and most people at the club seem to be utterly hopeless at what they are supposed to be doing, including SG. It is time for some sort of major change at the club in my opinion. Of course that is easier said than done with potential investors/buyers not clear to us. 

I’d love to hear other people’s opinions on this . 

DevKWat

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have created a poll for this like I did with my Woodgate thread. But yeah, Gibson has taken this club as far as he can. In fact he took it as far as he could when he appointed Karanka,

Still in total denial that he made a massive mistake in appointing a rookie manager who was never going to stand a chance in a season of survival / stabilisation. Throws all the previous managers

Thats what pisses me off (and I suspect a lot of others) about that statement. Gibson repeatedly states that Boro are a big, Premier League club and that promotion is what everybody at the club i

You should have created a poll for this like I did with my Woodgate thread.

But yeah, Gibson has taken this club as far as he can. In fact he took it as far as he could when he appointed Karanka, but then messed it up by failing to back him when it looked like we were going back to the Championship.

Gibson has *** this club with one disastrous decision after another, problem is who could he sell to?

• Like 4

A more reasonable poll would be “have you lost faith in Steve Gibson?” or “is your faith in Steve Gibson at an all time low?”.

I’m a critic of Steve Gibson but I wouldn’t want him to leave, certainly not while we could be in financial peril if we’re relegated to League One as is looking quite likely. I wish he could understand his own limitations and hand over power to a proper Director of Football to run the football side of things. He’s probably too much of a control freak to do that though.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, p_mards said:

A more reasonable poll would be “have you lost faith in Steve Gibson?” or “is your faith in Steve Gibson at an all time low?”.

I’m a critic of Steve Gibson but I wouldn’t want him to leave, certainly not while we could be in financial peril if we’re relegated to League One as is looking quite likely. I wish he could understand his own limitations and hand over power to a proper Director of Football to run the football side of things. He’s probably too much of a control freak to do that though.

Speak for yourself, but i'd be delighted if someone offered to takeover the club. Ideally someone like Red Bull, as has been discussed in many threads.

Gibson is too old school for modern football, and too arrogant to hand over control while he's still the owner.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, p_mards said:

Good post and meaning no disrespect this is all regurgitated stuff about the Chairman which has been gone through like a fine tooth comb.

Is there anything more we can add to what has already been said.

There is jack shit any of us can do about it save voting with your feet and staying away and not renewing season tickets.

Of late everything has been so negative about MFC understandably but boy am I looking forward to trying to get some positivity back.

It really is becoming a chore to keep up interest levels.

• Like 2

I would love to see us bought- however we are told time and again no one would buy. Whilst none of us know if this is the truth we do know we are not the most attractive proposition.

Gibbo lost his mojo years ago - the major contributor to our demise.

can I see change? Depressingly no. We are in a state as bad as I have witnessed for over 30 years and seem unwilling or impotent to change. 

15 minutes ago, Nosmo-King said:

I would love to see us bought- however we are told time and again no one would buy. Whilst none of us know if this is the truth we do know we are not the most attractive proposition.

Gibbo lost his mojo years ago - the major contributor to our demise.

can I see change? Depressingly no. We are in a state as bad as I have witnessed for over 30 years and seem unwilling or impotent to change. 

We're actually a very attractive proposition.

Not the football, god no not the actual footballing entertainment we currently offer. But as a club, we'd be a very decent investment. Gibson has no interest in selling though, he's too stubborn to see somebody else run "his" club.

He saved the club, so there's that, and it's sometimes better the devil you know, so there's that too but on the other side of the scale there's the bad appointments, poor recruitment and development and the meddling.

On the whole as I posted in another thread I see the current management as the short term problem and the ownership of the club as the long term problem. What to wish for though?

A new owner could lead to a honeymoon period but nightmares further down the line whilst staying with the current one could lead to oblivion under the control of a man too stubborn and/or arrogant to sell up or change his thinking and direction. A best of both worlds could be SG retaining ownership but taking very much a step back and leaving running the club to competent people but at the moment I can't see that happening, I just can't see SG being willing to relinquish that much control. If that's the case I think the most possible likelihood is a slow or even a quicker slide into oblivion. Maybe he'd rather see the ship sink without trace and blame Brexit, Aliens, moon cycles or whatever will seem to fly most convincingly rather than admit he's made a mess of the club?

Personally I'd like to see SG out as I think he's not a man for this time and of limited ability anyway and some benevolent individual or group in but I really don't know how likely that is.

Gibson currently doesn't seem to be in the right position to continue his stewardship of the club...either financially (cash input) or general business acumen, or in terms of his ability to recruit suitable people.

I don't know what's happened to him over the last 20 years or so, but he seems to have slowly, but surely, lost the plot.

I think I can say, hand on heart, I wouldn't shed a tear if he sold up and handed over the reins to someone capable of running the club properly.

Of course, the big question is...who would want to buy the club, given the state its in? 

My other worry is that, should we get relegated, the only interested parties might be big corporations who are mainly interested in making the club little more than a promotional tool (see the recent Red Bull discussion). Buying it on the cheap and doing a total re-brand.

Does anyone know where all this talk of Red Bull taking us over has come from?

Is it something that has just snowballed into a reality that now exists only in our minds from Chinese whispers or one guy's suggestion, or has there been anything concrete on this? If so can someone post a source?

Genuinely asking, not contending.

I look at clubs like, Burnley, Bournemouth, Brighton and even Sheffield Utd, with the proper investment we're a bigger club than all of these, especially support wise. If the club was sold and the new owner/s show they're taking the club in the right direction the fans will always back the club, so I think we are an attractive proposition. 

I think gibbo has right to make bad choices as well as good let’s remember if it wasn’t for this great man who is a legend in most Boro fans hearts there would be no MFC and we would have to follow another team I know a lot of fans are to young to remember this but we should stick bye him