oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson Out

11 minutes ago, Nosmo-King said:

Rock life’s last accounts showed a loss of £650000 plus. Seems like that venture isn’t that successful.

From what I've been told its normal for that type of venue to lose money for a number of years until it gets fully established. 

The golf course will take years to mature but I think the original plan was to eventually bid for something like the Ryder cup. If they attract an event like that it would be a destination for tourists for years after. 

I think Rockliffe was long term investment for Gibson. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have created a poll for this like I did with my Woodgate thread. But yeah, Gibson has taken this club as far as he can. In fact he took it as far as he could when he appointed Karanka,

Still in total denial that he made a massive mistake in appointing a rookie manager who was never going to stand a chance in a season of survival / stabilisation. Throws all the previous managers

Thats what pisses me off (and I suspect a lot of others) about that statement. Gibson repeatedly states that Boro are a big, Premier League club and that promotion is what everybody at the club i

Gibson has created great memories saved us, numerous finals, European final and winning the Carling Cup. However he has not done anything of note with the club since relagation in 2009 it has been disaster after disaster until Karanka provided a life line but it was unable to be sustained. The issue is Gibson is a millionaire in a billionaire's world now so he is unable to do what he did in the 90s and 00s anymore that got us the success. So it is my belief he took us the furthest he could with Karanka so would be open to a Red Bull or someone else to come in and invest in the club to restore us as a mid table Premier League side that has a go in the cups. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

I think it all stemmed from this Daily Mail article about Red Bull apparently being interested in acquiring an English club.

Thanks for digging that out. I wonder why this all equates to it absolutely being an option for us, because we play in red?

Will you have to change your name to AnglianRedBull?

5 hours ago, Changing Times said:

The kingdom of wishful thinking in the land of make believe.

Ahhhhhhh, I see. One of those dodgy Indian sites on Newsnow then?

54 minutes ago, Liquid said:

Thanks for digging that out. I wonder why this all equates to it absolutely being an option for us, because we play in red?

Will you have to change your name to AnglianRedBull?

If that ever did happen, I'd be more likely change it to AnglianToon or AnglianMackem. 😜

• Haha 1

Duvel,my comment re Rockcliffe was aimed at the poster who was hailing Gibson’s acumen. The reality is the two concerns he heads on a solid basis are loss making entries- and no small losses either.

He isn’t that hot with profitable business plans for sure!

13 hours ago, p_mards said:

I wish he could understand his own limitations and hand over power to a proper Director of Football to run the football side of things. He’s probably too much of a control freak to do that though.

This is exactly how I feel.

11 hours ago, Woof Woof said:

He saved the club, so there's that, and it's sometimes better the devil you know, so there's that too but on the other side of the scale there's the bad appointments, poor recruitment and development and the meddling.

On the whole as I posted in another thread I see the current management as the short term problem and the ownership of the club as the long term problem. What to wish for though?

A new owner could lead to a honeymoon period but nightmares further down the line whilst staying with the current one could lead to oblivion under the control of a man too stubborn and/or arrogant to sell up or change his thinking and direction. A best of both worlds could be SG retaining ownership but taking very much a step back and leaving running the club to competent people but at the moment I can't see that happening, I just can't see SG being willing to relinquish that much control. If that's the case I think the most possible likelihood is a slow or even a quicker slide into oblivion. Maybe he'd rather see the ship sink without trace and blame Brexit, Aliens, moon cycles or whatever will seem to fly most convincingly rather than admit he's made a mess of the club?

Personally I'd like to see SG out as I think he's not a man for this time and of limited ability anyway and some benevolent individual or group in but I really don't know how likely that is.

Please stop saying, "He saved club". He didn't. Gibson was instrumental in a part of a consortium, he put very little money in. Henry  Moskowitz was the largest contributor, who was then ousted By Gibson in a power grab over disagreements concerning  the future direction of the club.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Gibson has done lots for the club.  However bad/frustrating things are right now, let's not re-write history to make it seem like he did bugger all.  Could he and we have done better?  Probably.  Could we be doing better now?  Certainly.  Has he contributed a lot to Boro?  Definitely.

If gibbo did sell then - apart from Red Bull - who is a likely buyer?

Would a wealthy investor see Boro as a way of making money, ie a good investment or would they be doing it as a hobby? 

Probably an investment but what happens if they lost money? their profit margin would be their primary concern so unless they felt they could get us to be successful quickly they would see boro as an asset they could slice up.

How much are we worth at the moment, how much would gibbo want to sell for? if he has invested as much cash of his own in there as we are expected to believe it will be very tough for him to let it all go. But the longer he cracks on like he's doing the less we'll be worth. The stadium probably wouldn't even fetch much, especially in div 1.

I believe the good will gibbo has enjoyed is rightly coming to an end as he keeps on making the same mistakes andrank bad choices like he obviously appoints rookie managers so he can have their ear and sign players even though it just doesnt chuffing work.

we were already still recovering from the relegation with the southgate appointment, another relegation with another rookie manager will take so much to undo; the first thing required is assembling a team who know how to do it - and we now all know for a fact that without more money than everyone else gibbo is unable to do that. he just cannot assemble a good team.

sad times for the boro, when you see the smaller teams who are cracking on in the PL there's only one difference between them and us, but its practically impossible for us to do anything about that, even if we did oust gibbo, we may get a chairman who just wants to milk it as much as poss.

I am purely speculating - to help me understand the factors involved and to further this interesting debate. 

The redbull thing didn’t come from that article or people putting 2 and 2 together. 
There’s a post started on this forum by SDS who clearly gets info, he mentioned a potential buyer looking at us and hinted at it being a drink company. Another ITk mentioned that mysterious helicopter at a game last season was people from redbull (if I’m remembering properly).

2 hours ago, HolgateHero said:

If gibbo did sell then - apart from Red Bull - who is a likely buyer?

Would a wealthy investor see Boro as a way of making money, ie a good investment or would they be doing it as a hobby? 

Probably an investment but what happens if they lost money? their profit margin would be their primary concern so unless they felt they could get us to be successful quickly they would see boro as an asset they could slice up.

How much are we worth at the moment, how much would gibbo want to sell for? if he has invested as much cash of his own in there as we are expected to believe it will be very tough for him to let it all go. But the longer he cracks on like he's doing the less we'll be worth. The stadium probably wouldn't even fetch much, especially in div 1.

I believe the good will gibbo has enjoyed is rightly coming to an end as he keeps on making the same mistakes andrank bad choices like he obviously appoints rookie managers so he can have their ear and sign players even though it just doesnt chuffing work.

we were already still recovering from the relegation with the southgate appointment, another relegation with another rookie manager will take so much to undo; the first thing required is assembling a team who know how to do it - and we now all know for a fact that without more money than everyone else gibbo is unable to do that. he just cannot assemble a good team.

sad times for the boro, when you see the smaller teams who are cracking on in the PL there's only one difference between them and us, but its practically impossible for us to do anything about that, even if we did oust gibbo, we may get a chairman who just wants to milk it as much as poss.

I am purely speculating - to help me understand the factors involved and to further this interesting debate. 

Cleveland Cable owners if you want a local owner(s) who support the club otherwise a Kenyon brokered consortium from abroad but that is dependant on what division we are in. If Gibson rejected a 50m offer from Chien Lee for 50% when we were in PL it makes you wonder what he would be willing to accept for the club in the current predicament. 

Riverside is owned by council. We had 45% attendance rates in our 2013–14 season compared to 90% in our PL year, I would expect that to be lower if we go into L1 and significant investment required in the first team if we don't renew contracts. 

I dont see GIbson selling anytime soon but if we go down he will be under pressure he has never experienced in the past.

• Like 2