oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson Out

7 hours ago, Changing Times said:

Gibson has done lots for the club.  However bad/frustrating things are right now, let's not re-write history to make it seem like he did bugger all.  Could he and we have done better?  Probably.  Could we be doing better now?  Certainly.  Has he contributed a lot to Boro?  Definitely.

Totally correct CT but sadly the negative aspect is eroding the positive aspect of his "tenure" at the helm 

• Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have created a poll for this like I did with my Woodgate thread. But yeah, Gibson has taken this club as far as he can. In fact he took it as far as he could when he appointed Karanka,

Still in total denial that he made a massive mistake in appointing a rookie manager who was never going to stand a chance in a season of survival / stabilisation. Throws all the previous managers

Thats what pisses me off (and I suspect a lot of others) about that statement. Gibson repeatedly states that Boro are a big, Premier League club and that promotion is what everybody at the club i

That interview is as desperate as it comes, season ticket sales clearly looking horrendous on the same week we drop into the relegation zone. A couple years of silence and then comes out with that, he’s absolutely lost the plot and is taking us down. 100% Gibson out. Hopefully something is displayed at the game tonight 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

That interview is as desperate as it comes, season ticket sales clearly looking horrendous on the same week we drop into the relegation zone. A couple years of silence and then comes out with that, he’s absolutely lost the plot and is taking us down. 100% Gibson out. Hopefully something is displayed at the game tonight 

I don’t think there will be any mass demonstrations at the ground tonight, the majority of fans are still pretty pro Gibson. 

That statement is more than your standard chairman’s “vote of confidence” Neither Woodgate or Gibson will be going anywhere, anytime soon, Gibson will stick rather than twist, he sees something in Woodgate that at the moment, a lot of us don’t. 

4 hours ago, Ayresome7 said:

Cleveland Cable owners if you want a local owner(s) who support the club otherwise a Kenyon brokered consortium from abroad but that is dependant on what division we are in. If Gibson rejected a 50m offer from Chien Lee for 50% when we were in PL it makes you wonder what he would be willing to accept for the club in the current predicament. 

Riverside is owned by council. We had 45% attendance rates in our 2013–14 season compared to 90% in our PL year, I would expect that to be lower if we go into L1 and significant investment required in the first team if we don't renew contracts. 

I dont see GIbson selling anytime soon but if we go down he will be under pressure he has never experienced in the past.

I'm pretty sure it isn't.

2 hours ago, PsychFur said:

Still in total denial that he made a massive mistake in appointing a rookie manager who was never going to stand a chance in a season of survival / stabilisation.

Throws all the previous managers, back to Southgate, under the bus, (bar Karanka), without acknowledging his own failings during their tenures.

Says Boro are not a League 1 club, but in the next breath acknowledges a number of "big" clubs that went down to the 3rd tier.

Lots of fine words Mr Gibson, but how about taking some action?

Its all very well having "burning ambition", but you also need the business and footballing acumen in place to realise that ambition.

As long as he fails to recognise the club doesn't have the right people in place to fulfil his stated aims, there is only one place we're going...and that is down...

Gibson's self-professed stubbornness and bloody-mindedness will see to that.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Ayresome7 said:

Cleveland Cable owners if you want a local owner(s) who support the club otherwise a Kenyon brokered consortium from abroad but that is dependant on what division we are in. If Gibson rejected a 50m offer from Chien Lee for 50% when we were in PL it makes you wonder what he would be willing to accept for the club in the current predicament. 

Riverside is owned by council. We had 45% attendance rates in our 2013–14 season compared to 90% in our PL year, I would expect that to be lower if we go into L1 and significant investment required in the first team if we don't renew contracts. 

I dont see GIbson selling anytime soon but if we go down he will be under pressure he has never experienced in the past.

I don't think that the Powell's would be all that interested.

The Riverside isn't owned by the council, why would it be?  Why do people keep saying this?

What does he actually say in that article other than a load of ‘positive thinking’ buzz words? 
If woodgate isn’t the problem then what is? The squad certainly isn’t as we have enough decent players to get a midtable team at least.

If it’s not the players, the manager or the chairman then what? I’m honestly lost for ideas on that one.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

“We are not a League One club. We certainly don’t see ourselves as that. We are a big club with a top flight infrastructure.

But the league table and results say otherwise.

Yeh if you get relegated it means that you are in fact a League 1 club like it or not.

The good thing is Gibson is a quick learner its only taken him 10 years plus to realize we've made mistakes, if Woodgate and the players aren't the problem then I would cast a suspicious eye on the tea lady, or the kit man.

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Still in total denial that he made a massive mistake in appointing a rookie manager who was never going to stand a chance in a season of survival / stabilisation.

Throws all the previous managers, back to Southgate, under the bus, (bar Karanka), without acknowledging his own failings during their tenures.

Says Boro are not a League 1 club, but in the next breath acknowledges a number of "big" clubs that went down to the 3rd tier.

Lots of fine words Mr Gibson, but how about taking some action?

Its all very well having "burning ambition", but you also need the business and footballing acumen in place to realise that ambition.

As long as he fails to recognise the club doesn't have the right people in place to fulfil his stated aims, there is only one place we're going...and that is down...

Gibson's self-professed stubbornness and bloody-mindedness will see to that.

Its obvious by Gibson's comments about big clubs going down that he is already preparing for League 1, and any thought or rumour of Woodgate going have been extinguished by Gibson.

• Sad 1

I wonder how many chairmen of former PL clubs who got relegated to League One realised relegation from the second tier was confirmed and thought to themselves "oh well, we're where we belong now"? Nobody thinks like that!

Plus, if that's where we're headed, what use is thinking of ourselves as bigger or better than League One? League tables don't lie, unless it's the Premier League table and the year is 1997.

• Like 2
56 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I wonder how many chairmen of former PL clubs who got relegated to League One realised relegation from the second tier was confirmed and thought to themselves "oh well, we're where we belong now"? Nobody thinks like that!

Plus, if that's where we're headed, what use is thinking of ourselves as bigger or better than League One? League tables don't lie, unless it's the Premier League table and the year is 1997.

Thats what pisses me off (and I suspect a lot of others) about that statement.

Gibson repeatedly states that Boro are a big, Premier League club and that promotion is what everybody at the club is aiming at...yet nothing we've seen in the last few years even hints at that.

I mean, there was the short-lived Garry Monk fiasco, where we blew a load of money, then got rid of him as soon as it looked like we weren't going to "smash the league" after all.

He either couldn't, or didn't want to back Karanka after we got promoted. Were the club's finances really so bad that even Sky TV's millions (what is it - £170m for promotion to the PL these days?) weren't enough to give him a healthy transfer kitty?

Aside from that all we've seen / heard about is the repeated need to cut costs and get the club's finances in order.

Doesn't sound like a club that belongs in the PL, if you ask me.

If he would just be honest and say that the financial state of the club is such, that the Championship is realistically as high as we can aim, I think a lot more people would at least believe him. Or even League 1, for that matter, since it seems thats where we will end up.

Instead, reading that statement is a lot like listening to Theresa May's  "austerity is over" speech.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 3