oneBoro Forum

Steve Gibson Out

What if Gibson really has just hit the reset button? We've been saying for ages he's a Millionaire in a sea of Billionaires so what if he's planning to go down, slash all costs and make the club sustainable in league 1 where he can build again, bring through youngsters to sell on and slowly but surely build a stronger team with Woodgate at the helm for the next 10 year's.

What a nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should have created a poll for this like I did with my Woodgate thread. But yeah, Gibson has taken this club as far as he can. In fact he took it as far as he could when he appointed Karanka,

Still in total denial that he made a massive mistake in appointing a rookie manager who was never going to stand a chance in a season of survival / stabilisation. Throws all the previous managers

Thats what pisses me off (and I suspect a lot of others) about that statement. Gibson repeatedly states that Boro are a big, Premier League club and that promotion is what everybody at the club i

I think the fans just want honesty above all else. 

No one has any idea what Gibson wants. The reasons behind his appointments or his purchases in the transfer market. 

On one hand, he suggests a manager who will change the philosophy at the club from top to bottom, based on no experience. 

We then buy league 1 standard players for a "long term" project...but then ship them out for loans when they're not good enough. You've got to question, how is buying those players in the summer benefitting us right now?

The club appoints Bevington, again with no experience but at least he had sense to walk away because he was doing such a poor job. 

We've got an inexperienced coaching team with no ability to get us out of this mess. And with 10 games left, we have only won 8 games all season. We will go down. 

But Gibson states how he is more committed to Boro than ever before? I'm sorry but his actions just dont show this to me. 

That is arguably more frustrating. The age of smoke and mirrors with clubs is over. Back in the day a nice little mouth piece from Gibson would probably appease the fans. But with forums, podcasts and radio phone ins, your lies and smoke and mirrors just get blown apart. Which is where we are now. 

Some will say sir Steve is untouchable, and yes I'm appreciative of all he has done for us. 

But if he says about the mistakes he made 1p years ago, we are making them right now. He hasnt learnt from his mistakes and this is what frustrates me. 

His only successful spell has been with Karanka where he went outside of his comfort zone and allowed Orta, Kenyan and Karanka more of a control. Ever since he has been burned he has got more controlling and we have stagnated and gone backwards. That's telling in itself. 

It wouldnt even surprise me if Woodgate is Gibsons puppet and Gibson is running the team in his image, because I have honestly no idea how a chairman of a club he loves so much can idly stand by and watch it crash and burn. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lord_Moose said:

What if Gibson really has just hit the reset button? We've been saying for ages he's a Millionaire in a sea of Billionaires so what if he's planning to go down, slash all costs and make the club sustainable in league 1 where he can build again, bring through youngsters to sell on and slowly but surely build a stronger team with Woodgate at the helm for the next 10 year's.

What a nightmare.

I wouldn't mind if he actually came out and said it. I'd respect him a hell of a lot more for his honesty...if the club really is in such a state that thats what is required.

Just don't feed the fans all this BS about Boro being a PL club and that we are headed back there any time soon.

• Like 1

I’ve copied this over from another thread because my post is more applicable to this thread. I have always been of the belief that those who pay their money have he right to complain when things are not going so well and i fully respect that right. However, I would like the opportunity to put another side of the argument. The first game that I went to was in 1959 when, aged 5 my Dad took me to watch Boro vs Sunderland in an uninspiring 0-0 draw. From that moment on I was hooked and living literally across the road from Ayresome Park in Warwick Street I never missed a home game starting off in the boy's end and the Bob End I attended every home game until I left to join the army in 1973. So I have been supporting the Boro now for over 60 years and to say it's a bit of a roller coaster would be to downplay roller coasters. To back up my ongoing support for SG I'm going  to compare the 32 years of the SG era with the 32 years pre SG. Let me now take you with me on that roller coaster ride and give you some figures  over those 64 years and so as not to confuse Div 1, the championship and all the various names I'll just use Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3. Over those 65 years Boro have been in Tier 1, 24 seasons (16 under SG), Tier 2, 39 years (16 under SG), Tier 3, 2 years (1 under SG). I know which era I preferred with 50% of the last 32 years being spent in Tier 1, not including the Cup Finals and those amazing European nights. All of that has been down to the sheer, tremendous financial support put into this club by SG without which most of our successes would have been unlikely. Has he made mistakes, yes and he freely admits to that but don't give up on SG or JW.  Things may look bleak at the moment, but we have been there before and i have the utmost confidence that under SG and JW better times are just around the corner. Keep faith, stay strong and UTB.

• Like 2

Indeed not AR and let us be honest if relegated we will do the same as Sunderland so would expect a season or 3 to get back into The Championship, then a couple of seasons finding our way before making a go of the play offs.

If we get relegated a minimum of 6 years maybe more before we could actually achieve PL status, then blow it first time of asking!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

I wouldn't mind if he actually came out and said it. I'd respect him a hell of a lot more for his honesty...if the club really is in such a state that thats what is required.

Just don't feed the fans all this BS about Boro being a PL club and that we are headed back there any time soon.

It would be a very hard pill for me to swallow but if he came out and said 'looks, this is the reality we live in now' then as you said I'd appreciate the honesty.

Shame he thinks we are all idiots though.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, BoroVet said:

I’ve copied this over from another thread because my post is more applicable to this thread. I have always been of the belief that those who pay their money have he right to complain when things are not going so well and i fully respect that right. However, I would like the opportunity to put another side of the argument. The first game that I went to was in 1959 when, aged 5 my Dad took me to watch Boro vs Sunderland in an uninspiring 0-0 draw. From that moment on I was hooked and living literally across the road from Ayresome Park in Warwick Street I never missed a home game starting off in the boy's end and the Bob End I attended every home game until I left to join the army in 1973. So I have been supporting the Boro now for over 60 years and to say it's a bit of a roller coaster would be to downplay roller coasters. To back up my ongoing support for SG I'm going  to compare the 32 years of the SG era with the 32 years pre SG. Let me now take you with me on that roller coaster ride and give you some figures  over those 64 years and so as not to confuse Div 1, the championship and all the various names I'll just use Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3. Over those 65 years Boro have been in Tier 1, 24 seasons (16 under SG), Tier 2, 39 years (16 under SG), Tier 3, 2 years (1 under SG). I know which era I preferred with 50% of the last 32 years being spent in Tier 1, not including the Cup Finals and those amazing European nights. All of that has been down to the sheer, tremendous financial support put into this club by SG without which most of our successes would have been unlikely. Has he made mistakes, yes and he freely admits to that but don't give up on SG or JW.  Things may look bleak at the moment, but we have been there before and i have the utmost confidence that under SG and JW better times are just around the corner. Keep faith, stay strong and UTB.

Terrific and heartfelt post BV and a lot of truth however as a club we should be able to maintain progression and not regression which is clearly been seen for a while now.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Indeed not AR and let us be honest if relegated we will do the same as Sunderland so would expect a season or 3 to get back into The Championship, then a couple of seasons finding our way before making a go of the play offs.

If we get relegated a minimum of 6 years maybe more before we could actually achieve PL status, then blow it first time of asking!

Exactly! Gibson's talking about what we might be doing several years from now. Its like building the top floor of a house before you've even got the foundations in place.

Or he thinks the foundations are in place, but they were actually built on Woodgate quicksand.

1 hour ago, Lord_Moose said:

What a nightmare.

To be honest that's not a bad idea, just remove the "Woodgate being at the helm" bit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

here's a question; is there some kind of weird advantage to be gained from dropping a division, I mean it seems like gibbo actually WANTS us to go down? 

the only thing I can think of is losing high earning players, but most of those have contracts ending anyway. someone tell gibbo ffs, not sure he's worked it out.

and wooggate shouldn't take the blame for the problems he inherited, does that mean tonpullisball was a waste of time and he streamlined sweet fa in his time here? Jesus wept.

Edited by HolgateHero
  • Like 2

I think hes seen other clubs go down and come back stronger and would maybe hope we would do the same. 

My only gripe with that is that they've had a clear way of playing and continued it whilst they've been playing in all the leagues. 

Sheffield United are the best example. They've got no standout players on paper, but a cohesive team and unit who know how to play and arguably it's made them better for playing that way. I.e the long term plan. 

But I'm confused. I thought that this season was meant to be the reset that the club needed? Or is Gibson trying to change the perception of going down we can still do that but from a lower league? 

Let's not detract away from the facts. Woodgate is under performing as a coach. It's not like hes got *** players. The core of this team finished 7th with Pulis. It's not like Woodgate is inheriting a whole team of newbies. 

I'm sorry but this is Gibson trying to again buy time for Woodgate and to let the fans down gently if we go down. Woodgate will still remain at this club come survival or relegation. That I am sure of. 

I just wish Gibson wouldnt spin it like a fairy tale to go down and come back up stronger and better. You've still got to have the coaching set up behind the scenes spot on and we are currently showing we dont have that as 8 wins all seasons suggests!

If I remember correctly, someone ITK in the summer said Woodgate’s goal was to stay up this season, that Gibson would be okay with us finishing 4th from bottom. Most people on here laughed at that and were aghast, we have a good enough squad etc. Maybe that really was the aim and Gibson isn’t as shocked as we all are? 
I can’t get my head round what “root and branch” review Pulis did in his 18 months in charge? 

• Like 2

I can't think he wants us relegated we're writing off nearly 20 million in fees in the summer either way (count me very sceptical Howson resigns either way) taking Britt/Saville/Fletcher with their fees would be an eye watering financial pileon that I think could seriously cripple us for years to come. The idea that we just had to spend 5-7 million a head to assemble a Championship squad is mind blowing to me but that decision falls on Gibson whatever his motives he's monumentally cocked up any idea of Boro the club being sustainably ran anytime soon which he always used to say was the ultimate goal but 35 years later the bloke just can not let go and with the Rockliffe ownership on the clubs books it will not be a simple sale if it ever were to happen.

Him being a fan is used by himself constantly to excuse horrendous decisions and 'policies' Andy Preston's got a few quid and is Boro mad I don't think he'd make as many financially costly decisions that Gibson's made over the past 15 years.

The idea no one would buy a former pretty established PL club with a tinge of European folklore history tied in has always struck me as nonsense as well, factor in the clubs holding company owns Rockliffe which is valued at high 8 figures it's not like there isn't potential here and solid infrastructural and business foundations. The unattractive location *** doesn't make much sense when Sheff U are owned by a Saudi Prince, Sheff Wed by a rich Asian family and Derby are backed by Mel Morris having spent time in Derby I can safely say it is whatever people say about Boro and worse so again I don't buy those excuses. 

How long until the Gazette and the club start comparing us to Wolves and Leicester.

"They were in the 3rd tier now look at them". 

Get behind the team #itsintheblood #spiritof86 #phoenixrisingfromtheflames  

Some people will lap it up as well.