oneBoro Forum

Boro v Charlton (A) 1-0 (McNair)

Charlton v Boro what a 'massivegiganticwehavetowinatallcosts' fixture, it won't determine who goes down but its a long way back for the losers, we HAVE to win this game, no ifs or buts, draws are no good

After winning at Preston on new years day the Boro have failed to win any of the following 10 fixtures & as a result we now find ourselves entrenched in the bottom 3 

The Boro put on a much improved dispaly against Forest last monday night, could & should have claimed all three points but for a couple of defensive errors we had to settle for a point, if the Boro show the spirit they showed against Forest over the coming months we will have every chance of climbing the table & finishing in a respectable position in the league 

The academy players who have been introduced this season have played their part, Pears is deputising well in goal, Spence has come in & done a commanding job, Coulson, who has performed so well this season, including his MOTM display v Forest,  but the main area we are struggling with is that of a goalscorer 

The 1st fixture away to Charlton Athletic was on the 29th January 1930, Boro drew 1-1

Charlton Athletic v Boro fixture will be the 53rd fixture in South London between the 2 teams with the following record:

Won 16

Drew 10

Lost 26

Goals scored - 68

Goals against - 88

Did you know:  Charlton 6 Boro 6 on the 22 October 1960 is still the highest league fixture draw

Represented both teams

Lennie Lawrence

Robbie Mustoe

Alan Kernaghan

Colin Walsh

Nicky Bailey

Andy Peake

Curtis Fleming

Steve Vickers

Ben Roberts

Jason Euell

Anthony Barness

Anfernee Dijksteel

A couple of blasts from the past

26:11:94.jpg

Charlton 2 Boro 3 Nov 1982.JPG

IMG_20200304_132258.jpg

• Like 9
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Charlton v Boro what a 'massivegiganticwehavetowinatallcosts' fixture, it won't determine who goes down but its a long way back for the losers, we HAVE to win this game, no ifs or buts, draws are no g

If you think that is the reason Rudy has been given a hard time then you are very badly mistaken. It is not even close to the reason. The abuse he has got has definitely been unjustified when com

I hope there's a place for organisms or we're all screwed. I know my own support of Boro would be lost without my scepticism and cynicism. I'd love to see some professionalism from us and ma

Posted Images

I'm predicting a 2-0 victory to the mighty Boro. Some says i'm too optimistic but thats all i've got left to cling on to my sanity!

Buzzing for the game this weekend. Like i mentioned in the other Charlton thread, its been god knows how many years since me and my dad have last been to a game together and one of the very first games he took me to was Charlton away. Buzzing to return that favour 20 years later.

As its been a fair few years since i've been to The Valley, does anyone have any recommendations of where to have a drink beforehand? I've also seen that there's no trains into Charlton on Saturday....with Lewisham being the closest station to the ground, might have to grab a taxi from there as I'd imagine the replacement bus service will be absolutely rammo.

• Like 2

Absolutely fantastic post this. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. Some great names in there that I'd forgotton all about such as Ooh Eek Andy Peake and we could certainly do with a Robbie Mustoe in our midfield at the moment!

Looking ahead to the weekends game I think its got a score draw written all over it. 

• Like 1

Some great history there Erimus! 👍

Sad to say I'm old enough to remember most of those players you listed. Only ones that don't ring a bell are Colin Walsh, Andy Peake and Anthony Barness.

Also a tad worrying that history isn't on our side, statistically, despite you highlighting some great Boro wins.

Was interested to note from the second paper that even back in the early 80s, Boro were running at a loss. That £12,000 / week back then would be worth over £42,000 today. Still a long way off the £250,000 / week Gibson was having to pump into the club each week, when we were running at a reported loss of £1m a month.

Also sad to note that things appear to have come full circle in the last 26 years. Lennie Lawrence's words could have been echoed by Tony Mowbray or Tony Pulis.

Charlton are a bit of an odd one. They've won a couple more games than us, but also lost more. Negative goal difference - similar to ours. 2 wins in the last 5 - comfortable home win against Luton and a surprise away win at Forest (also the only recent clean sheet).

In previous seasons, I'd have backed us to win this one, but with our abysmal defence, Charlton are bound to score at least once. Honestly, I'll be surprised if we win this one. A draw seems more likely and as ever, a defeat is quite possible.

Prediction: Charlton 2 - 2 Boro

(Just because Charlton haven't had a draw in a while)

• Like 3

Brilliant work Erimus74, as always. Danny Mills also represented both us and Charlton.

I really hope we can take confidence from playing well against Forest and pull off the big 6 pointer. Also for BoroDane and any other fans who've taken the trouble to attend.

I'm going 2-0 Boro out of sheer optimism 🙂

• Like 2

I'll be dragging my wife and two kids to this game, so it better be exciting. I'm expecting a 0-0 though 😪

I really really hope we will but I just can't see Woodgate organising a team that will win such an important game. Probably the same lineup as the one that started against Forest, although I'd really like to see the new keeper, as I don't think Pears is strong enough yet. He seriously needs to buck up and put some muscles on. But I think Woodgate is going to give him the next two important games against Charlton and Hull at least. I'd also like to see Spence start. Get him at right back and then Howson in midfield instead of McNair. 

• Like 2

Yes a brilliant OP there from Erimus74 and he is not wrong in terms of this being a "massive game" for both clubs.

Indeed if I may indulge you for a while this game is so massive that if you could imagine an enormous flashing neon sign with the words "Massive Game" and a large arrow point aimed at the ground it would not do the enormity of the situation any real justice.

My seldom used phrase pales into insignificance of the task in hand due to the hopes and prayers of those wishing upon a Boro result but it is THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME OF THE SEASON!

All being said a draw will probably be the outcome because if we are anything we are the draw kings of the division!

MASSIVE!

Looking forward to seeing BoroDane and family and Teddy trying to understand his kids. 

• Like 4

I reckon both teams will score, and there to be a fair few bookings. Wouldnt mind the same team again, but I swear we saw a display earlier where Rudy came in unexpectedly, did well, kept his place and wasnt as effective and I wonder if we will see the same again..

• Like 1

Great effort with the OP erimus74

Anyway, to paraphrase DS, its the most important game of the Decade! We desperately need a win - the performance and goals v forest should give us a confidence boost. We looked a lot better after scoring our two goals. 

3-0 boro. Get it done  

• Like 3