oneBoro Forum

Boro v Charlton (A) 1-0 (McNair)

Think if Roberts is fit, he'd replace Tav for me, in the current system Woodgate is playing. 

So glad we won today! Hope it isn't a false dawn and we can string a run of results together. 

Just need England to beat Wales and then it's 3/3 this weekend!

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Charlton v Boro what a 'massivegiganticwehavetowinatallcosts' fixture, it won't determine who goes down but its a long way back for the losers, we HAVE to win this game, no ifs or buts, draws are no g

If you think that is the reason Rudy has been given a hard time then you are very badly mistaken. It is not even close to the reason. The abuse he has got has definitely been unjustified when com

I hope there's a place for organisms or we're all screwed. I know my own support of Boro would be lost without my scepticism and cynicism. I'd love to see some professionalism from us and ma

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Brunners said:

With regards to the game, I thought for the first two thirds of the pitch we were thoroughly excellent all day, but yet again our heads go in that final third - Tav was especially guilty of this, but Tav, Coulson, McNair all fired efforts either massively high or wide. 

That was Wings best game in a long time and he definitely suits that role far more than the deeper midfield. Able to get up and support play and he played a number of absolutely killer balls through too - could have had his 8th of the season if not for a great save by the keeper.

Gestede was phenomenal today; I often complain about how he seems unable to head anything, but he had a magnet for a head today, was flicking almost everything on. Holding the ball up well, getting the midfield runners involved. If this is how we're finishing the season Gestede starts as often as possible from now on.

The above is a sentence I never thought I would ever write.

McNair looked back to his marauding best, Howson got over his little wobble too with a fantastic game at RB, Coulson and Johnson are a really good left sided pairing IMO, enjoy watching them together. 

Shotton calmed his game down second half, with the amount of times he was trying to steal in front of attackers first half I was convinced he was going off but fair play to him, he changed his game slightly to fit what he had to do and him and Moukoudi were great.

And Stojanovic, positioning was excellent, didn't have to make any difficult saves, came out to make some good clearances and almost all of his kicks went straight to a Middlesbrough player, something I'm not usually used to seeing.

Criticisms are again we sat a little too deep - you know when a team is losing going int othe last few minutes they're going to come at you, but to collapse all the way back to your own 18 yard box is too much. Subs a little weird to me too, Saville for McNair just seemed unnecessary and Tav stayed on the pitch too long. Also our decision making / finishing ability in the final 3rd. Honestly if we were even semi competent at finding the back of the net we run away 3 or 4 nil winners today I think.

Good post Brunners. 
If Roberts was fit and playing right wing instead of Tav then we win that game easily. 

I don't know where we put the returning players though, who do you drop? Arguably Sav would not have gotten into the same position to score as McNair but would have maybe given a more solid defensive structure. Neither Britt nor Fletch acts as a pivot the way Gestede did and causes far more lost possession - we had 55% today, first time I can remember us having most of the ball in a very very long time. Also I dont think Spence starts at full back over Howson for me, nor Friend (if he was fit) over MJ. 

Same again next match so, except maybe with Roberts if fit. 

• Like 1
Just now, boroie said:

Good post Brunners. 
If Roberts was fit and playing right wing instead of Tav then we win that game easily. 

I don't know where we put the returning players though, who do you drop? Arguably Sav would not have gotten into the same position to score as McNair but would have maybe given a more solid defensive structure. Neither Britt nor Fletch acts as a pivot the way Gestede did and causes far more lost possession - we had 55% today, first time I can remember us having most of the ball in a very very long time. Also I dont think Spence starts at full back over Howson for me, nor Friend (if he was fit) over MJ. 

For me it's Roberts for Tav and that's about it; personnel wise I actually didn't mind anything else we were doing. I'm still a little gutted about Spence losing his place but todays Howson makes it a totally valid decision. The last two games Howson however were awful, so I'm hoping that he can continue todays form.

13 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Sheff Wed and Derby are both under investigation. I think it could be up to 12, but would likely be around the same 9 points Birmingham got docked last season.

Don't hold your breath on that...We're talking EFA here

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, boroie said:

Good post Brunners. 

Agree. Give them a chance to click. 

1 minute ago, boroie said:

Good post Brunners. 

Yes agree. Now is not the time for change just for the sake of change. Continuity is needed to get some sort of a run going.

17 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Sheff Wed and Derby are both under investigation. I think it could be up to 12, but would likely be around the same 9 points Birmingham got docked last season.

I'd be really surprised to see them docked points this season. Think it's much more likely that they'll start next season with negative points.

2 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Yes agree. Now is not the time for change just for the sake of change. Continuity is needed to get some sort of a run going.

Tho i would say Ayala would be the exception

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Blanco said:

I'm more worried about what Woody does though, its that inexperience at play where maybe he thinks he can shake it up. Keep the players out of the matchday squad hungry and bring them in as subs (earlier than the 81st minute though!) to provide impact and impetus. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I'd be really surprised to see them docked points this season. Think it's much more likely that they'll start next season with negative points.

Yeah. Only Boro get shafted it seems. A long time ago admittedly but there was no hesitation deducting points from us under Robson. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, boroie said:

I'm more worried about what Woody does though, its that inexperience at play where maybe he thinks he can shake it up. Keep the players out of the matchday squad hungry and bring them in as subs (earlier than the 81st minute though!) to provide impact and impetus. 

I think you have it spot on. He needs to hold his nerve and stick to what works