oneBoro Forum

Boro v Charlton (A) 1-0 (McNair)

Just now, TAPOUT said:

Not sure how it is an overreaction to say that a player played well when he did.

I think it's an overreaction when people start talking about a player in a different way on the back of one good game.  But the overreaction I was actually talking about was the more general tone on here where we are suddenly better than we thought we were cos we won a game.  It's the same stuff we had over Xmas when Woodgate had turned things around on the back of a few wins and people started talking about the play offs.

• Like 3
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Charlton v Boro what a 'massivegiganticwehavetowinatallcosts' fixture, it won't determine who goes down but its a long way back for the losers, we HAVE to win this game, no ifs or buts, draws are no g

If you think that is the reason Rudy has been given a hard time then you are very badly mistaken. It is not even close to the reason. The abuse he has got has definitely been unjustified when com

I hope there's a place for organisms or we're all screwed. I know my own support of Boro would be lost without my scepticism and cynicism. I'd love to see some professionalism from us and ma

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Yes you've got to have a level of consistency, you can't just look at a clubs league position, if you've breached the rules then the penalty should be automatic, not when it suits.

Absolutely.

I don't have confidence that the FA/EFL will act that way though.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I didn't slag him, I said he didn't deserve to be in the side.  For whatever it's worth, I'm delighted he scored our winner today but my opinion hasn't changed and I still don't think he deserved to be in the side today.  I'm completely comfortable holding that opinion.  If he actually played well today, and didn't just score a goal, then I'd have no problem with him being in the team to face Swansea as he's played well and deserves another go.

FWIW, I did think he had a good game today! He made a number of very good driving runs, played a few nice passes in, delivered two or three really dangerous crosses and of course scored the goal. It was much more like the McNair of the first few months than the McNair we've had in the past month or so.

• Like 1
Just now, TeaCider24 said:

Absolutely.

I don't have confidence that the FA/EFL will act that way though.

I might be wrong here - so someone please correct me if I am, but I'm sure they didn't punish Birmingham last year until it was pretty safe that the 9 points wouldn't drag them back into the relegation fight.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

FWIW, I did think he had a good game today! He made a number of very good driving runs, played a few nice passes in, delivered two or three really dangerous crosses and of course scored the goal. It was much more like the McNair of the first few months than the McNair we've had in the past month or so.

I obviously didn't see it so I didn't know how well he'd played today but if he played well then I'd expect him to be playing again next weekend.

2 minutes ago, Brunners said:

I might be wrong here - so someone please correct me if I am, but I'm sure they didn't punish Birmingham last year until it was pretty safe that the 9 points wouldn't drag them back into the relegation fight.

I’m pretty sure that you are correct @Brunners That’s how I remember it anyway 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Old Codger said:

Can just see Borodane saying to the kids "and if you don't behave, I will take you to another one"...hope you all had a good time  and have a safe journey back 

His kids were fine though his son preferred his game on his mobile!

I said to BD that as you were here at the game the forum will want you back agai!

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Yep, they deducted with 8 games remaining and it left Birmingham 5 points above the drop and in 18th place.

20200307_210015.thumb.png.95fbbcb851cfbe36bac9f3d541f80e88.png

They were always going to stay up.

20 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think it's an overreaction when people start talking about a player in a different way on the back of one good game.  But the overreaction I was actually talking about was the more general tone on here where we are suddenly better than we thought we were cos we won a game.  It's the same stuff we had over Xmas when Woodgate had turned things around on the back of a few wins and people started talking about the play offs.

I think it is more relief and the fact that it was a positive performance. 23 shots and a balanced set up in which Gestede played well. Sometimes when we have such a rare result we look for reasons why and try to rationalise that. You are right that Charlton are a poor team and if the result isnt followed up v Swansea and then Stoke we are back in the mire. I think if he sticks with the same formation and keeps the same team +/- Roberts for Tav we can get better at what we are doing. The constant change of shape and personnel makes me think JW is overthinking things. I still dont think he is the man to take us forward and I still dont think the squad is that much better than our league position but I will take results with that performance every day of the week if we stay up and look for reasons why it was a positive day.

Edited by TAPOUT
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Thats right. There is no real deterrent that I can see.

If they follow a similar schedule though, they'll deduct after the next game.

Fingers crossed.

Frankly think that both teams deserve it, it's dodgy dealings and needs to be stopped.

I also didn't understand why McNair was in the side. Kudos to him if he played well. But based on my knowledge of recent games, he'd have been on the bench and Saville would have started. But yes, if he played well then sure, he should and probably will start against Swansea too.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, KiwiBoro said:

Phew! Up the Boro!

ps. how did our goalie go?

He was probably on the bus with the rest of them 😂

• Haha 3