oneBoro Forum

Boro v Charlton (A) 1-0 (McNair)

1 hour ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Not even close to the top 5 worst strikers I've seen in the last decade at this club. That is definitely more of a damning indictment on Boro than a compliment to Rudy, though. 

A bad signing overall - but if he keeps us up with some decent performances in the run-in of this season, then we can part on perfectly amicable terms in the Summer.  

At least he's no Afonso Alves!

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Charlton v Boro what a 'massivegiganticwehavetowinatallcosts' fixture, it won't determine who goes down but its a long way back for the losers, we HAVE to win this game, no ifs or buts, draws are no g

If you think that is the reason Rudy has been given a hard time then you are very badly mistaken. It is not even close to the reason. The abuse he has got has definitely been unjustified when com

I hope there's a place for organisms or we're all screwed. I know my own support of Boro would be lost without my scepticism and cynicism. I'd love to see some professionalism from us and ma

Posted Images

39 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Alves scored 13 goals in 18 months, from 49 appearances in all competitions. Gestede has scored eight goals in three years, from 70 appearances. And although Rudy was a cheaper signing, he's had an extra 18 months of wages.

They're both awful signings, and we really do seem to be a graveyard for goalscorers. But I'd have Alves over Gestede any day, based on everything from goalscoring to fitness.

Woodgate continued with the 4-2-3-1 formation that had brought about improved performances in the previous two games. It was undoubtedly the right choice as we produced our best away performance since Preston on New Years Day. What was more pleasing was the fact that he stuck with the same trio of players that had improved the attacking play of the team in recent weeks. One surprise however was that Rudy Gestede kept his place in the team despite Fletcher and Assombolonga returning to fitness.

We should have been out of sight by half time. A well worked goal from McNair following one of the many mistakes made by the Charlton defence gave us the lead and we never really looked in any danger until the last 10 mins. Awful finishing, dreadful decision making and sloppy passing by a number of players, the worst being Tavernier, let Charlton off the hook and made for a "typical Boro" nailbiting finish to the game. Woodgate and his coaches need to drill those players in attacking movement, picking the right pass at the right time and finishing all this week. The quality of Patrick Roberts and the criminally underused Ravel Morrison should help us in those areas.

Man of the match: Rudy Gestede

Stojanovic     -     (7) Did everything he needed to do. Excelled with his kicking. Not tested yet.
Howson         -     (8) Never seems to have a bad game. Excellent delivery and solid in defence.
Shotton         -     (6) Silly booking. Caught out positionally once or twice but solid in the air.
Moukoudi      -     (7) Getting better. Strong in the tackle and good distribution into midfield.
Johnson        -     (7) Did his job, got forward to support Coulson, needs to stop crosses more often.
Clayton         -     (7) Protected the defence, sweeped up the second balls. Steady away.
McNair         -      (8) High energy display all over the pitch. Deserved and well taken goal.
Tavernier      -      (5) Worked tirelessly. Diabolical on the ball. Poor decision making. Needs to step it up.
Wing            -      (7) Showed more than just shooting ability. Linked up well and always a threat.
Coulson       -       (6) Wasteful with the ball but worked hard, always tracked his man. Looked a bit tired.
Gestede      -      (8) Best display for a long time. Put himself about, won headers, held up the ball. Excellent.

Swansea won't be as poor as Charlton were. We need to work on our attacking play through the week to ensure we are not as wasteful against them. Moukoudi and Shotton need extra work with regards to positioning. We got caught out a few times by long balls down the middle. Whoever drops off needs to make sure they come across far enough to cover if the attacker gets a flick on. Its a new partnership though so there are mitigating circumstances. Encouraging display when the result was more important than the actual performance on the day.

56 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Or Killen, Boyd, McDonald, Gook, Kike Sola, Lita, Kitson, King, Miller, Euell, Fletcher.

I often wonder if any team in the top two divisions has had a sorrier list of recent forwards than the mighty Boro.

Negredo, Stuani, Kike, and Nuge were all good lads though. 

• Like 2

What do we do to goalscorers? Do we sign s**t players, or do we make them s**t once they get here?

(I suspect it's a combination of both, but our track record of attacking signings really is diabolical).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Duvel said:

Well done to Gestede, he's had a couple of good games and I've got no bad feelings towards him. 

Saying that we can't ignore the last 3 years, he was a terrible signing (by Premier league standards) and a very costly one. For such a big financial outlay he's been injured a hell of a lot and when he has played he hasn't been great.  

If the club is genuinely trying to move away from the old era then I think we need to move away from players like Gestede. The fact that he's keeping players like Britt out of the team says a lot more about Assombalonga than it does Gestede. 

None of that is within his control, neither were the injuries. If we had signed him for 3mill in the championship on 20k a week, then we would just class him as unlucky with injuries. I think most Boro fans like to be extreme with their views, the reality is that when fit, he can do a job in the championship and would probably get 12-16 goals in a season. He was totally out of his depth in the prem though, where his flaws were evident. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a team like Millwall next season and banging 20 goals in.

30 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

Or Killen, Boyd, McDonald, Gook, Kike Sola, Lita, Kitson, King, Miller, Euell, Fletcher.

I often wonder if any team in the top two divisions has had a sorrier list of recent forwards than the mighty Boro.

Negredo, Stuani, Kike, and Nuge were all good lads though. 

Jutkiewicz and Bamford didn't work out that great for us either, as I recall.

1 minute ago, AnglianRed said:

Jutkiewicz and Bamford didn't work out that great for us either, as I recall.

Jukey yes, but arguably Bamfords best career moments were all at Boro, even if he played as a wide forward for quite a bit of it. Don't want to get into that Bamford vs Everyone argument again though!!! 😄

20 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

What do we do to goalscorers? Do we sign s**t players, or do we make them s**t once they get here?

(I suspect it's a combination of both, but our track record of attacking signings really is diabolical).

Hit the nail on the head...I've been complaining about it for years.

We either sign crap players, or spend good money on players with decent records...who suddenly can't find the net once they put on a Boro shirt.

Again, it comes back to the question...what the hell do our coaches do with the players in training? Suppose you also have to question the managers' tactics too.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Again, it comes back to the question...what the hell do our coaches do with the players in training? Suppose you also have to question the managers' tactics too.

I thought our recent coaches might have helped - James Beattie was credited with turning Chris Wood into a goal machine, and Robbie Keane obviously has a very fine goalscoring pedigree. 

Apparently not though. 

45 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

None of that is within his control, neither were the injuries. If we had signed him for 3mill in the championship on 20k a week, then we would just class him as unlucky with injuries. I think most Boro fans like to be extreme with their views, the reality is that when fit, he can do a job in the championship and would probably get 12-16 goals in a season. He was totally out of his depth in the prem though, where his flaws were evident. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a team like Millwall next season and banging 20 goals in.

I know it isn't his fault and he doesn't deserve the abuse. 

He's still a bang average Championship player though. 

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Well done to Gestede, he's had a couple of good games and I've got no bad feelings towards him. 

Saying that we can't ignore the last 3 years, he was a terrible signing (by Premier league standards) and a very costly one. For such a big financial outlay he's been injured a hell of a lot and when he has played he hasn't been great.  

If the club is genuinely trying to move away from the old era then I think we need to move away from players like Gestede. The fact that he's keeping players like Britt out of the team says a lot more about Assombalonga than it does Gestede. 

I think it says more about Woodgate in all honesty.

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

My point isn't even about making Gestede out to be a better player than he is or a better signing than he has been. He is what he is and I've always maintained that; a very limited player on a huge contract that we paid way over the odds for. That doesn't demand the sheer level of abuse he gets. I reckon at least 90% of the abuse he gets should be levelled at the club for ever signing him in the way they did to begin with and my eyes roll every time I see the word 'donkey' associated with him.

Gestede is a 🦙 (That's actually a Llama but I couldn't find a donkey to go there)

• Haha 1