oneBoro Forum

Boro v Charlton (A) 1-0 (McNair)

1 hour ago, RiseAgainst said:

What do we do to goalscorers? Do we sign s**t players, or do we make them s**t once they get here?

(I suspect it's a combination of both, but our track record of attacking signings really is diabolical).

the problem is we never sign players to back those goalscorers up  It was clear to everyone but monk and Pulis that we needed players to create the chances for all our forwards. Your forwards can only score goals if you provide chances for them and for the past donkey years we have made a habit out of neglecting the wings and attacking midfield. Barring Traoré we haven’t signed a chance creater for I don’t know how long. At least Woodgate acknowledged that by signing Roberts. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Charlton v Boro what a 'massivegiganticwehavetowinatallcosts' fixture, it won't determine who goes down but its a long way back for the losers, we HAVE to win this game, no ifs or buts, draws are no g

If you think that is the reason Rudy has been given a hard time then you are very badly mistaken. It is not even close to the reason. The abuse he has got has definitely been unjustified when com

I hope there's a place for organisms or we're all screwed. I know my own support of Boro would be lost without my scepticism and cynicism. I'd love to see some professionalism from us and ma

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Could be worse, we could still have Kei Kamara

(Yes he's scoring for fun in the MLS, but so could my three year old daughter.)

You've got a daughter? I honestly thought you were about 10 years old

• Haha 4
16 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Could be worse, we could still have Kei Kamara

(Yes he's scoring for fun in the MLS, but so could my three year old daughter.)

Damn, knew I was missing a good one from my terrible Boro strikers list!

I think fans have a tendency to over estimate the good and bad in players. They like to pigeonhole players as brilliant (or in Boros case, too good for us we will sell him) or terrible (a postbox stood on the penalty spot is just as likely to score). They also like to do this early and stick with it. The Zenden song even had a rare moment of reflection of this 'he used to be ***, but now he's alright'. He was never ***, he was not spectacular on the wing but not terrible either, and he was just settling in. 'but now he's alright', that understatement on some of the best midfield form in the prem at the time, was that reluctance to admit that they were wrong. That's Boro fans for you.

There's a lack of nuance, and understanding of the nature of footballers as humans too. This isn't champ manager 2020 or FIFA, players are more than a bunch of physical and skill statistics. They have lives, that influence their concentration and comfort within a team. Gestede might have had a bad time here, but he is nowhere near a donkey or lama. Donkeys cannot do this 

or this:

He clearly has ability and talent. Get him fit, confident and firing at this level and he is a handful. He will never be a world beater, he will never be a confident finisher, but he is far from a donkey and I'd take him every day of the week above Britt

4 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

I think fans have a tendency to over estimate the good and bad in players. They like to pigeonhole players as brilliant (or in Boros case, too good for us we will sell him) or terrible (a postbox stood on the penalty spot is just as likely to score). They also like to do this early and stick with it. The Zenden song even had a rare moment of reflection of this 'he used to be ***, but now he's alright'. He was never ***, he was not spectacular on the wing but not terrible either, and he was just settling in. 'but now he's alright', that understatement on some of the best midfield form in the prem at the time, was that reluctance to admit that they were wrong. That's Boro fans for you.

There's a lack of nuance, and understanding of the nature of footballers as humans too. This isn't champ manager 2020 or FIFA, players are more than a bunch of physical and skill statistics. They have lives, that influence their concentration and comfort within a team. Gestede might have had a bad time here, but he is nowhere near a donkey or lama. Donkeys cannot do this 

or this:

He clearly has ability and talent. Get him fit, confident and firing at this level and he is a handful. He will never be a world beater, he will never be a confident finisher, but he is far from a donkey.

I think they used the word alright and *** were used to describe Zenden was because they rhymed, not because they were actually descriptive.

"He used to be alright but not spectacular on the wing, but now hes much better and putting in some of the best midfield performances in the premiership" just doesnt work as well in the parameters of the song

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
5 minutes ago, OldManGravz said:

I think they used the word alright and *** were used to describe Zenden was because they rhymed, not because they were actually descriptive.

"He used to be alright but not spectacular on the wing, but now hes much better and putting in some of the best midfield performances in the premiership" just doesnt work as well in the parameters of the song

yeah I get that, but I always felt there was a reluctance from some to accept he was a top class player, because they had already written him off.

Anyway, Gestede, has 2 league goals how many by end of season? I'm going for third top scorer with 6

I think we (normally) get distracted by a players stats and ignore the set up of the team they are playing in. 

Rather than signing strikers to suit our system or building a team around a striker we sign whom ever we like with either a decent record or a *** record but they always score past us.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

I think we (normally) get distracted by a players stats and ignore the set up of the team they are playing in. 

Rather than signing strikers to suit our system or building a team around a striker we sign whom ever we like with either a decent record or a *** record but they always score past us.

This is so very true. 

1 hour ago, BoroMart said:

You have to be taking the *** now?  All the grief you give Assombalonga and then you come out with this ***? 🤣 🤦‍♂️

The Zenden chant, as someone else has explained, was simply about finding words that rhymed to work into a chant for the bloke.  He wasn't especially good on the wing but he obviously wasn't terrible and nobody really thought he was.  There was an obvious comparison to Downing and how dynamic he was early on and I suspect that was part of it  When he moved into the middle he got more responsibility and became a more influential player for us.  It probably suited his intelligence playing through the middle as well.  I really liked Zenden, cracking footballer and sadly we were never gonna be able to hang on to him for long.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Duvel said:

You've got a daughter? I honestly thought you were about 10 years old

I think CT is about 60...so if Denzel really IS his lad, he could easily be 30+ 😁