oneBoro Forum

Boro v Charlton (A) 1-0 (McNair)

I've just caught the highlights of the game..all I can say is from those, we looked lucky to get the 3 points.  A better team than Charlton would have scored those chances and its worrying how open we looked at times. I'm glad they didnt score, and we've got the all important 3 points, so in the grand scheme of things it will be over looked. 

This season is all about survival and hopefully there will be one worse team than us that takes that final spot. 

In regards to Gestede, I think his wages and time he joined makes him a target of abuse. He is associated with the prem january window and our lack of ambition, in my opinion. He is frustrating and has had some absolutely terrible games for us, but if he is using the next 9 games to put himself in the window, I dont care, as long as he benefits the team. Fair play to him for not being injured and bottling it. 

I'm still unsure if we will stay up, yesterday we showed promising signs. But I look at what we produce overall and it still seems a bit lacklustre. 

Prove me wrong Woody.

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Charlton v Boro what a 'massivegiganticwehavetowinatallcosts' fixture, it won't determine who goes down but its a long way back for the losers, we HAVE to win this game, no ifs or buts, draws are no g

If you think that is the reason Rudy has been given a hard time then you are very badly mistaken. It is not even close to the reason. The abuse he has got has definitely been unjustified when com

I hope there's a place for organisms or we're all screwed. I know my own support of Boro would be lost without my scepticism and cynicism. I'd love to see some professionalism from us and ma

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I don't recall Braithwaite ending up in a court case with a Boro supporting pensioner after inciting the home fans with his fellow Blackburn players dancing on the Riverside pitch after a controversial late goal. 

I remember that very well. I remember watching the incident and I'd never heard of 'the pits' before that incident either. If I was watching that without that information, just as Rudy Gestede had, I would have thought it was racist too.

Not that any of this even remotely matters. As @TLF10 has put, neither this nor what happened at Newport has ever really been recalled when abuse is sent Rudy Gestede's way. The Blackburn thing has rarely ever been mentioned at all during his time here barring maybe when he first joined. The Newport thing has been mentioned once or twice in the time since that game. When someone is calling him a donkey, they're not referring to either of those incidents and yet that is effectively his nickname.

What I recall Braithwaite doing was taking home one of our biggest ever pay packets whilst altering his performances and his commitment based on the situation in front of him. Commitment to the cause has never been Gestede's problem.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I've just caught the highlights of the game..all I can say is from those, we looked lucky to get the 3 points.  A better team than Charlton would have scored those chances and its worrying how open we looked at times. I'm glad they didnt score, and we've got the all important 3 points, so in the grand scheme of things it will be over looked. 

This season is all about survival and hopefully there will be one worse team than us that takes that final spot. 

In regards to Gestede, I think his wages and time he joined makes him a target of abuse. He is associated with the prem january window and our lack of ambition, in my opinion. He is frustrating and has had some absolutely terrible games for us, but if he is using the next 9 games to put himself in the window, I dont care, as long as he benefits the team. Fair play to him for not being injured and bottling it. 

I'm still unsure if we will stay up, yesterday we showed promising signs. But I look at what we produce overall and it still seems a bit lacklustre. 

Prove me wrong Woody.

agreed we are a defensive shambles. How do we resolve that? Well getting Fry back central. Squeezing a couple of performances out of Friends creaking body at LB, shifting Shotton to RB and freeing Howson into midfield, should have a positive impact.

What is clear is that the club knew we had fullback weaknesses, and gambled on two unprovens in Dijksteel and Bola. One clearly wasn't up to it, the other was starting to settle into at least competency but then missed the season with injury. We need to readdress these positions in the summer.

25 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Prove me wrong Woody.

The flip side of this is better teams than us would sore a boatload vs Charlton who were very, very poor. Are there 3 worse sides than us? Probably, Barnsley look 2 defeats from gone, Luton not far behind. Hull look a mess, and Charlton no better. So there are 4 that I think we will finish above. I'm going for a 17th-18th place finish at the moment

1 hour ago, ManBearPig said:

Prove me wrong Woody.

I watched the game and I can promise you we were deserving winners. Every team (mostly) is going to get caught out a few times a game and the 3 chances they had in the second half were literally the only three chances they had all game and two of them weren't even that dangerous. 

The highlights don't show a lot of the good attacking play we had down our wings, and quite frankly we should have been 2 or 3 up before they started getting their chances anyway.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Brunners said:

I watched the game and I can promise you we were deserving winners. Every team (mostly) is going to get caught out a few times a game and the 3 chances they had in the second half were literally the only three chances they had all game and two of them weren't even that dangerous. 

The highlights don't show a lot of the good attacking play we had down our wings, and quite frankly we should have been 2 or 3 up before they started getting their chances anyway.

I guess our nerves kicked in, during the final 20mins, at 1-0 up away to a relegation rival?

27 minutes ago, BoroMart said:

I guess our nerves kicked in, during the final 20mins, at 1-0 up away to a relegation rival?

We struggle as soon as someone starts throwing the kitchen sink at us; we always collapse to the edge of our 18 yard box. I have no idea if its player nerves or coaching but it's frustrating because when we keep up the press we're much better

• Like 1

As you say brunners even the worst teams will always get a few half chances. Going into injury time I told DS that they would get one last chance and they had that header onto the roof of the net. We fully deserved the win. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

We struggle as soon as someone starts throwing the kitchen sink at us; we always collapse to the edge of our 18 yard box. I have no idea if its player nerves or coaching but it's frustrating because when we keep up the press we're much better

Could be because we are soft at CB without Ayala? and lack pace at CB without Fry?

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

As you say brunners even the worst teams will always get a few half chances. Going into injury time I told DS that they would get one last chance and they had that header onto the roof of the net. We fully deserved the win. 

Yeah we were well worth the win. Unfortunately with our finishing it always seems to be a single goal lead, so teams are still in with a chance even if they've created little. We really should have been at least 2 up.  

• Like 1
6 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

In terms of keeping Gestede around, his wages are the biggest factor. Next on that list is he isn't a great all round player, he's a very particular kind of player who isn't useful in all situations. Most players have strengths and weaknesses but his are more glaringly obvious. And to finish off the top 3 reasons, he's had quite a few injuries whilst he's been here meaning he's not been consistently available for selection.

But I do find it hard to understand why he's had a similar, if not greater level of abuse from fans than say Braithwaite has. He is what he is and yes we're overpaying for him. But if you consider the output vs. quality available, Braithwaite should have been getting significantly more *** thrown at him during his time here. If you want to point the finger regarding his wages, point it at the club, they're the true 'donkeys'.

I agree that Braithwaite was a complete waste of time but he actually scored one more goal than Gestede has here.  That's how little Gestede has contributed and is at least partly why he's gotten the stick he has.

3 hours ago, BoroMart said:

My overall game is superior to Britts, I'm 48, a stone and 1/2 overweight and have the pace of a constipated turtle with two amputated flippers.....still, at least I can trap a ball, stand up, stay onside and pass the ball more than 10 foot to a team mate.

But it isn't though 🙄

4 hours ago, Borodane said:

Don’t the players ever come over to celebrate with the fans after an away win? Only a handful of players clapped towards the boro fans from afar which I found strange considering the importance of the win and the good support they got. I know my team in Denmark always come over to the away support dancing around and egging the supporters on for 10-15 mins after the match. Always the entire team with subs and coaching staff. That link was missing yesterday which surprised me a lot. 

I think they're still wary about fans' reactions, given the long run without a win.

Also I don't think we've had any Danish players since Mikkel Beck. 😁