oneBoro Forum

Squad to begin next season

There will be a few changes with so many players out of contract and loan signings returning to their parent clubs and many fans are worried about the size of the rebuild that is required. To clarify, we will be left with a first team squad consisting of:

Goalkeepers

Aynsley Pears - Thomas Mejias - Dejan Stojanovic

Right backs/wing backs

Djed Spence - Anfrenee Djiksteel

Left backs/wing backs

Hayden Coulson - Marc Bola

Centre backs

Dael Fry - Nathan Wood - Sam Stubbs

Central midfielders

Paddy McNair - George Saville - Lewis Wing - Ben Liddle

Wide players/attacking midfielders

Marcus Tavernier - Marcus Browne 

Strikers

Britt Assombolonga - Ashley Fletcher - Stephen Walker

Looking at that we would possibly need:

2 x Centre Backs, 1 x Central midfielder, 2 x wide players/attacking MF's.

Its hardly the massive rebuild that everyone is worrying about. In addition to the players above we have even younger players like Connor Malley, Tyrone O'Neill and Hayden Hackney who have been in and around the subs bench this season. Obviously a lot will depend on which league we find ourselves in but maybe one or two more of the youngsters could step up like Spence and Coulson have this season.

One massive positive is that we will have an extremely young squad of players who are only going to improve and can be more easily coached and moulded into the style of play that Woodgate envisages for us ie an attacking, high pressing, energetic tactical setup.

1. With so many of the high earners leaving do you think we would have a bit of an opportunity to spend some money this summer?

My personal opinion is that the players leaving will free up space for more loan signings again like this season. Perhaps a couple of £1-2 million players like the summer just gone. I think the only way we will look at higher value transfer fees would be if we sold one or more of our more saleable assets.

2. From the players out of contract which ones would you look to keep?

I would only offer new contracts to Ayala and Howson. Thats not to say players like Johnson, Shotton, Friend and Clayton haven't been good servants for the club. I just think that we are moving in a different direction and they don't fit in with our future plans. Gestede is a no brainer for the exit door.

3. Would you sell any of our remaining valuable assets  to generate extra transfer funds?

I would sell Britt Assombolonga in a heartbeat. If we could get around £8 million for him then that would allow us to get two good attacking players in. Despite a lot of criticism from fans recently I would be loathe to lose Dael Fry who I think has a great future once he improves his physical strength.

4. Any loan signings from this season you would try and get to return?

Patrick Roberts and Harold Moukoudi would be massive players if we could get them back here next season. They are two future Premier League regulars for certain.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Recruitment will be in the safe hands of the transfer committee.  Mssrs, Gibson, Gill, Woodgate and Bausor.  Sounds like a firm of solicitors. Oh dear! You  couldn't make this up 😉  htt

I actually think we will be far better next season. Robert's will be massive, Gibson and Moukoudi at the back solid. All the youngsters coming through with another years experience.  

For me the only way to answer this question is to assume we will be in the championship next season. Until we are relegated i think we will squeek it out because as someone said the table doesn't lie

1. I don’t think the club will spend much in the summer, I think we’ll most likely be in div 1, so it would be unlikely that we were splashing out on £2m + players. 

2. I don’t think any of the out of contract players would want to stay and play in div 1, I don’t think they would be happy to take a big pay cut, so it’s probably time to look elsewhere. 

3. Britt and Fry will want to go and the club will be happy to offload them to get there wages off the books. we tried to sell Saville and we’ll probably try again. I wouldn’t be against that. 

4. I’ve not seen a lot from Moukoudi to convince me that he’d be worth hanging on to, he’s had 1 ok game and made mistakes in the others. Roberts has impressed in the few games he’s played, but I can’t see him wanting to play in div1. 

3 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

1. I don’t think the club will spend much in the summer, I think we’ll most likely be in div 1, so it would be unlikely that we were splashing out on £2m + players. 

2. I don’t think any of the out of contract players would want to stay and play in div 1, I don’t think they would be happy to take a big pay cut, so it’s probably time to look elsewhere. 

3. Britt and Fry will want to go and the club will be happy to offload them to get there wages off the books. we tried to sell Saville and we’ll probably try again. I wouldn’t be against that. 

4. I’ve not seen a lot from Moukoudi to convince me that he’d be worth hanging on to, he’s had 1 ok game and made mistakes in the others. Roberts has impressed in the few games he’s played, but I can’t see him wanting to play in div1. 

1. Yes I agree that spending will be minimal but I don't think we will be plying our trade in League 1. It wont even go down to the last game in my opinion, we will be clear by then.

2. Really? Ayala and Howson have already said they want to stay and both Friend and Johnson have recently spoken of their happiness at the club and how settled they are.

3. What makes you think they will want to go? is that based on your assumption that we will be playing in League 1? If so then yes I would agree with Britt and I would also add McNair to that list. However, I don't think Fry would jump ship at this stage of his career.

4. Moukoudi has a very valuable commodity for a centre back which is pace. If we are to play this high pressing game that Woodgate wants then we need defenders that have a little turn of pace. It doesn't have to be rapid but they can't be carthorses like Flint was for example. Roberts is a great little player and would love to have him back here but I agree he won't come if we get relegated. Luckily that isn't going to happen then isn't it! 

Four or more of those be sold either because we need the cash or they simply don't want League One football or another season scraping along the bottom of the Championship. Another four or five just aren't good enough and whats left is mediocrity at its finest. There may be the numbers there for a squad but in terms of quality that is as woeful as it gets. When the contracts expire in the Summer and the Loans return we will need to sign/get in at least ten players as a minimum.

Daniel Ayala, George Friend, Ryan Shotton, Jonny Howson, Adam Clayton, Marvin Johnson and Rudy Gestede will all be out of contract in the summer, thats arguably five or six starters and two subs. They are also the most experienced players, the glue that bonds the squad together. Add in our worst Manager in the history of the club and a recruitment/scouting department that is unfit for purpose and I'm struggling to find any reason for optimism made all the worse by the Chairman's ridiculous statement on Monday that nothing is going to change.

23 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

1. Yes I agree that spending will be minimal but I don't think we will be plying our trade in League 1. It wont even go down to the last game in my opinion, we will be clear by then.

2. Really? Ayala and Howson have already said they want to stay and both Friend and Johnson have recently spoken of their happiness at the club and how settled they are.

3. What makes you think they will want to go? is that based on your assumption that we will be playing in League 1? If so then yes I would agree with Britt and I would also add McNair to that list. However, I don't think Fry would jump ship at this stage of his career.

4. Moukoudi has a very valuable commodity for a centre back which is pace. If we are to play this high pressing game that Woodgate wants then we need defenders that have a little turn of pace. It doesn't have to be rapid but they can't be carthorses like Flint was for example. Roberts is a great little player and would love to have him back here but I agree he won't come if we get relegated. Luckily that isn't going to happen then isn't it! 

You have a lot more confidence in Woodgate than I do mate. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Four or more of those be sold either because we need the cash or they simply don't want League One football or another season scraping along the bottom of the Championship. Another four or five just aren't good enough and whats left is mediocrity at its finest. There may be the numbers there for a squad but in terms of quality that is as woeful as it gets. When the contracts expire in the Summer and the Loans return we will need to sign/get in at least ten players as a minimum.

Daniel Ayala, George Friend, Ryan Shotton, Jonny Howson, Adam Clayton, Marvin Johnson and Rudy Gestede will all be out of contract in the summer, thats arguably five or six starters and two subs. They are also the most experienced players, the glue that bonds the squad together. Add in our worst Manager in the history of the club and a recruitment/scouting department that is unfit for purpose and I'm struggling to find any reason for optimism made all the worse by the Chairman's ridiculous statement on Monday that nothing is going to change.

😅😅😅

Always look on the bright side of life!

Cant agree with much of that to be honest if any and such is your pessimism I doubt that I would be able to talk you round to my way of thinking!

14 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

You have a lot more confidence in Woodgate than I do mate. 

I'm not really confident in his ability but I think he deserves a chance to at least have a full season using players that fit the way he wants the team to play. 

1 hour ago, OzzyPorter said:

There will be a few changes with so many players out of contract and loan signings returning to their parent clubs and many fans are worried about the size of the rebuild that is required. To clarify, we will be left with a first team squad consisting of:

Goalkeepers

Aynsley Pears - Thomas Mejias - Dejan Stojanovic

Right backs/wing backs

Djed Spence - Anfrenee Djiksteel

Left backs/wing backs

Hayden Coulson - Marc Bola

Centre backs

Dael Fry - Nathan Wood - Sam Stubbs

Central midfielders

Paddy McNair - George Saville - Lewis Wing - Ben Liddle

Wide players/attacking midfielders

Marcus Tavernier - Marcus Browne 

Strikers

Britt Assombolonga - Ashley Fletcher - Stephen Walker

Looking at that we would possibly need:

2 x Centre Backs, 1 x Central midfielder, 2 x wide players/attacking MF's.

Its hardly the massive rebuild that everyone is worrying about. In addition to the players above we have even younger players like Connor Malley, Tyrone O'Neill and Hayden Hackney who have been in and around the subs bench this season. Obviously a lot will depend on which league we find ourselves in but maybe one or two more of the youngsters could step up like Spence and Coulson have this season.

One massive positive is that we will have an extremely young squad of players who are only going to improve and can be more easily coached and moulded into the style of play that Woodgate envisages for us ie an attacking, high pressing, energetic tactical setup.

1. With so many of the high earners leaving do you think we would have a bit of an opportunity to spend some money this summer?

My personal opinion is that the players leaving will free up space for more loan signings again like this season. Perhaps a couple of £1-2 million players like the summer just gone. I think the only way we will look at higher value transfer fees would be if we sold one or more of our more saleable assets.

2. From the players out of contract which ones would you look to keep?

I would only offer new contracts to Ayala and Howson. Thats not to say players like Johnson, Shotton, Friend and Clayton haven't been good servants for the club. I just think that we are moving in a different direction and they don't fit in with our future plans. Gestede is a no brainer for the exit door.

3. Would you sell any of our remaining valuable assets  to generate extra transfer funds?

I would sell Britt Assombolonga in a heartbeat. If we could get around £8 million for him then that would allow us to get two good attacking players in. Despite a lot of criticism from fans recently I would be loathe to lose Dael Fry who I think has a great future once he improves his physical strength.

4. Any loan signings from this season you would try and get to return?

Patrick Roberts and Harold Moukoudi would be massive players if we could get them back here next season. They are two future Premier League regulars for certain.

Well i admire your confidence, but Fry, Mcnair , Saville, Assombalonga and possibly others will be gone. 

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Clayton isnt out of contract, but evidently has been told to find another club.

• Wow 1
55 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

I'm not really confident in his ability but I think he deserves a chance to at least have a full season using players that fit the way he wants the team to play. 

I remember his unveiling press conference where he said there were goals in the team and rattled off half a dozen names of who could score. At the same time he mentioned his high press. That set alarm bells off with me as none of our players had the attributes to put that into practice. His now infamous PowerPoint with a marauding Bola and Dijksteel got me hooked. I was willing to give him time and have even stuck up for him previously on here. Unfortunately he has not been able put any of this into practice. His signings of the last 2 windows has shown me that even with his players he doesn't know what to do with them. 

I am normally a fairly optimistic person. I often ploughed a lone furrow last season seeing the positives in Pulis, but what we have now is considerably worse.

If I fell in to a coma last August and woke up now absolutely nothing has changed in a style of play, as we don't have one. The players he signed permanently have not been integrated into the first team squad and a summer rebuild, potentially in league one with JW picking the talent is a really depressing thought. Some people will say he has developed the youngsters, but that is arguable. He has played them yes, but developed them? Coulson has been a left back, left wing back and left winger. Hardly developing his talent by swapping positions all the time. Anyway, work to do. Depressed 😭😭

3 hours ago, OzzyPorter said:

He’s almost had a full one and it hasn’t been great, he’s no Karanka That’s for sure. 

• Like 1

For me the only way to answer this question is to assume we will be in the championship next season. Until we are relegated i think we will squeek it out because as someone said the table doesn't lie and the teams that have been bottom 3 most of the season will probably end up there and we've been just above that line.

As far as the roster next year..... If in the championship...... Id look to move move Britt to fund some wide attacking players. It seems he just doesn't fit this team . Paddy for me has run the course and would look to move him. Id keep Saville and pair him with Howson in the CM role. At the back id look at signing Moukoudi as we have first option too. Fry is interesting, i still like his potential and is a good fit but will Woodgate or whoever is in charge get their 20 million and sell? Thus paving the way for Gibson to come in. Roberts is a no brainer to bring back on load if we have the option to. 

• Like 2

I simply see no way either Championship or Division 1 that Ben Gibson will be in a Boro shirt unless a loan period.

Far too much financially to sign one individual at the expense of others in areas where they are needed

3 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

I simply see no way either Championship or Division 1 that Ben Gibson will be in a Boro shirt unless a loan period.

Far too much financially to sign one individual at the expense of others in areas where they are needed

I agree. I personally wouldn't do it. I think our biggest spend might be for Moukoudi if they feel he is worth the investment. Fry is under contract and not on crazy money, young, still developing and wants to be here. He'd be a great pair for him.

4 hours ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Clayton isnt out of contract, but evidently has been told to find another club.

I wonder if that's still the case now that he is suddenly back in the side?