oneBoro Forum

Squad to begin next season

1 hour ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

He’s almost had a full one and it hasn’t been great, he’s no Karanka That’s for sure. 

I think the most important part of my comment that you failed to address was regarding having the players to play the style of football he wants from the team. He will get those players this summer so there will be no excuses then.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Recruitment will be in the safe hands of the transfer committee.  Mssrs, Gibson, Gill, Woodgate and Bausor.  Sounds like a firm of solicitors. Oh dear! You  couldn't make this up 😉  htt

I actually think we will be far better next season. Robert's will be massive, Gibson and Moukoudi at the back solid. All the youngsters coming through with another years experience.  

For me the only way to answer this question is to assume we will be in the championship next season. Until we are relegated i think we will squeek it out because as someone said the table doesn't lie

39 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

I think the most important part of my comment that you failed to address was regarding having the players to play the style of football he wants from the team. He will get those players this summer so there will be no excuses then.

I hope you don't mean players like, Bola, Browne or Dijksteel in which case I'm even more depressed.

I fail to see anything in Woodgate and even less when I hear him speak to believe he can deliver anything but relegation including next season from League One if he is still here. He has shown nothing in terms of a style other than the first two games and only one half against Brentford at that.

His tactics, selections and formations look to be more convoluted week to week as the season has progressed. In fact his only purple patch was when he had no choice and could only play what was available. The more choices in personnel he has had the worse his results. If you gave him Liverpool's squad he'd get them relegated from the Championship. Some people are cut out for management, you can sense it and tell from a very early stage and some like most footballers just are not up to it. Woodgate has shown zero aptitude for management and the worry is that Steve Gibson can't or more likely won't see it. The only time it will dawn on Steve Gibson is when he sees a swathe of empty red plastic seats and then no doubt once again state "that he didn't see it coming".

52 minutes ago, OzzyPorter said:

Wouldn't worry about it OP so many threads go off tangent and original questions never answered.

The number of questions I have asked seem to often go into infinity and beyond or perhaps deliberately not answered:classic_dry:

1 hour ago, OzzyPorter said:

He’s brought in 8 players this season, 4 on loan, 4 permanent and has struggled to play in any recognisable style. How many more will he need to sign?

You wouldn’t expect a manager to come in to a cash strapped club and attempt to replace every 1st team player would you? That’s an expensive way of playing football.

Maybe Gibbo thought Woody said “I want the team to be expansive” at the interview. 

Edited by BillyWoofs_shinpad
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, OzzyPorter said:

Yeah, I wouldn't be so sure about that.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, OzzyPorter said:

I'm not really confident in his ability but I think he deserves a chance to at least have a full season using players that fit the way he wants the team to play. 

And if he was a competent manager he'd have found a way to get the players he has playing together, regardless of his dream.  A rookie manager walking in and needing a half dozen new players to play "his way" is nonsense.

• Like 1

Re Clayton. He IS out of contract this summer from all the reports i read. It is just club have an option to extend if they want too. However given he signed his current deal when we were in PL i doubt we will exercise option.

That said if JW wants to play a 4.3.3 then he needs a proper no.6 player who will protect the back 4 and allow the two midfielder players to support the 3 forward players. We currently do not have that player. Adam Clayton in his prime would have been that player.

• Like 1

I don't buy that it isn't a big rebuild job, but it depends which league we are in.

If we got down, then players like Spence, Wood, Malley and Stubbs will be expected to contribute significantly contribute. We will still need a couple of core players, but will look at a couple of experienced pros.

If we stay up, then I would think Howson will be retained, maybe Ayala might be convinced to stay. But we will need about 8 new players. Britt will be sold regardless, and I would think McNair or Fletcher could be sacrificed.

On a positive side, the issue with cash ISN'T Gibson losing interest or running out of money. It's a simple issue of FFP compliance. Gibson has been publicly vocal and consistent about it.

3 years ago, we spent 50mill on players and on huge wages. As Pulis pointed out, one bad window (that bad window in particular) can take 3 years to recover. That was the words of a man with the inside view. A man who has had many discussions about Boro finances and playing quality. Well during this summer window that transfer window splurge starts to disappear off the FFP window. Also Britt will leave, maybe McNair also. That will allow us space to invest again. It won't be huge by previous years, maybe 5-10mill (depends on BRitt, McNair leaving), but it's sorely needed. It won't be big name players, they need to be correctly scouted, they need to have the right character, but there is certainly space within FFP to invest again.

Anyone think we could line up like this?

Stokanovic 

Dijksteele Moukoudi Gibson Bola

McNair Howson 

Tav Wing Coulson

Fletcher?

I'm not sure if the squad we have will be able to play 4 3 3 and I think weve looked better as a 4 2 3 1 where the attacking players have more cover. As a 4 3 3 it could be..

Wing saville mcnair

Tav ?? Coulson

I think we may see a new striker come in but not sure yet.

I suspect Woodgate wants to play 4-3-3 and has only been prevented from doing so through injuries and having a squad assembled by previous managers. I can't imagine we'd deviate far from 4-3-3 next season, whichever league we're in. And I'm fine with that, providing we have the players for it. At the moment, we categorically don't. Coulson and Spence need a lot of coaching to be our Robertson and Alexander-Arnold, though it'd help them to have Ayala and Fry consistently covering at CB, plus a CDM who can snuff out danger in the Leadbitter mould. I think Clayton's best days are behind him, but I would like to keep McNair, who was great for us earlier in the season.

I think all our strikers will leave, and none of them will be sorely missed. They've all disappointed in different ways, even for second tier goalscorers.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, RiseAgainst said:

I suspect Woodgate wants to play 4-3-3 and has only been prevented from doing so through injuries and having a squad assembled by previous managers. I can't imagine we'd deviate far from 4-3-3 next season, whichever league we're in. And I'm fine with that, providing we have the players for it. At the moment, we categorically don't. Coulson and Spence need a lot of coaching to be our Robertson and Alexander-Arnold, though it'd help them to have Ayala and Fry consistently covering at CB, plus a CDM who can snuff out danger in the Leadbitter mould. I think Clayton's best days are behind him, but I would like to keep McNair, who was great for us earlier in the season.

I think all our strikers will leave, and none of them will be sorely missed. They've all disappointed in different ways, even for second tier goalscorers.

I very much agree. Woodgate will get the players he needs in order to play that 4-3-3 formation. I'm looking forward to it.

On 3/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, RiseAgainst said:

Woodgate has said he does not see Coulson as a left back but a left winger so Coulson might play as one of the front 3. He will need to add goals to his game to justify that. If we are to play 4.3.3 i think we need a fair few players.

Stojanovic

Dijksteel, Fry, NEW CB, NEW LB

Paddy, NEW DM, Wing

NEW RW, NEW CF/Britt, NEW LW/Coulson

Therefore we need 4 new players (6 if britt and coulson do not fit in to the system) just for the starting 11 to have the players to make a 4.3.3 work imo.

3 hours ago, OzzyPorter said:

I very much agree. Woodgate will get the players he needs in order to play that 4-3-3 formation. I'm looking forward to it.

Man I wish I could share your optimism.