oneBoro Forum

COVID-19 Life now and beyond

20 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Ah but BD, you live in a country where people are socially responsible, we live in a vou try with a weak government that gives out mixed messages that are in turn interpreted by the general public to fit there own agendas. 
it’s very worrying. 

Very true and sadly we have a long time to go putting up with it.

The only crumb of comfort is that we are not residents of the USA who clearly ae experimenting with the idea of herd immunity judging by so many mass crowding.

I have to admit I was deeply moved and appalled by the recent incident and attitude shown by American Police. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had my test results back and they were positive for Covid-19.. So lucky that I just had the mild symptoms!! 

Hope everyone's doing well and keeping healthy! Haven't posted for a few months due to being busy and the lack of football, but had a gradual read through this thread. Crazy looking back at the f

Branson owns an island and a spaceship, but he wants aid from the government and he’s happy to hang his employees out to dry the man is callous. 

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Very true and sadly we have a long time to go putting up with it.

The only crumb of comfort is that we are not residents of the USA who clearly ae experimenting with the idea of herd immunity judging by so many mass crowding.

I have to admit I was deeply moved and appalled by the recent incident and attitude shown by American Police. 

Judging by their actions, our government are very much experimenting with the idea of herd immunity too.

As for American Police, when you have the POTUS going on TV and saying "When the looting starts, the shooting starts" without a single trace of irony, are you honestly surprised?

4 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

What's everyone been drinking during lockdown then?

Personally i'm into craft beer, but because my usual bottle shop is closed and we've all been travel restricted, i've been limited to what I can get from the supermarkets. Luckily, Tesco have raised their craft beer game over the past couple of months and they've got some cracking beers that you'd easily pay over a fiver for a 330ml can in a bottle shop, but none in Tesco are more than £3.50.

So far i've drank:

Evil Twin - Wake up and smell the Gose: Breakfast gose with blueberries and salt. Really weird sounding, even weirder smelling and tasting. Sounds like it should be awful but I've had three cans of this and I still don't know if I really like it or not, haha. Brave of Tesco to stock this, though.

BrewDog USA vs Evil Twin - Roaster Coaster: Nitro Imperial Vietnamese Coffee Stout. A simply incredible stout, but given the two breweries involved it shouldn't be a surprise. Brewdog already do two great stouts in Jet Black Heart and Zombie Cake, this is sweeter than either of those (well we are talking Vietnamese Coffee here!) and the addition of nitro makes this such a smooth ride. Brilliant and more canned stouts should be nitro'd IMO.

Salt Beer Factory - Ikat DDH DIPA: An incredible DDH DIPA, fruity and smooth, best of the bunch

Vocation - Breakfast Club 2.0: They did a collab with Yeastie Boys last year which was a blueberry & Belgian waffle pastry stout, that was great but this solo release ramps up the fruitiness and is even smoother. Cracking stuff.

Vocation - Hop, Skip & Juice: Superb NEIPA, billed as a tropical Pale Ale, but they're not fooling anyone. This is juicy (duh) and smooth with a soft bitter finish.

Magic Rock/Salt Beer Factory - Ripe Times: Two superb Northern breweries come together on this NEIPA and it packs a punch with the bitter hops but they soon give way to the tropical fruit smoothiness that NEIPAs are known for. Was worried about this as I don't like my beers to be too high on the IBU scale but this was very, very good.

Vocation - Love & Hate: It's an NEIPA from one of my favourite breweries and again, they just happen to be from the North! Sadly this is a bit too bitter for my tastes, although it does have a very distinct mango flavour.

This weekend i'll also be having Northern Monk's Tropical World, which is a tropical smoothie Milkshake IPA, and a bottle of Franziskaner Weissbier Naturtrub, which is a Hefeweizen. I've only ever had one Hefeweizen before and that was from an American brewery, but it was very good so it'll be interesting to see how a genuine German one compares 🙂

NB: It's occurred to me that I should probably attach a glossary of sorts to this post, for those who don't know much about beer beyond Carling and Fosters existing 😛

Gose - Sour beer, German in origin. Brewed with salt water to give it a distinct taste.

DIPA - Double India Pale Ale. Basically a stronger version of an IPA, usually around 7-10% ABV

DDH - Double Dry Hopped. Adding more hops to the brewing process at a later stage, or using double the amount of hops than you would in standard brew. Makes the beer more bitter but most brewers balance this with fruity flavours (which I like)

NEIPA - New England India Pale Ale. Yes, this term makes no sense when you think about it. Basically it's a style of IPA where the beer is aggressively hopped, or unfiltered, giving it a cloudy, hazy appearance. My favourite style at the moment, even though the market peaked around a year ago.

IBU - International Bitterness Units. The amount of hops in a beer. The higher the rating, the more bitter the beer will be. Most DIPAs are around 70-100 IBUs. To compare, a bottle of Budweiser is about 5-10 IBUs.

Milkshake IPA - IPA brewed with lactose, gives the beer a very smooth, "milkshake" like texture. Often not as sweet as you'd imagine.

Hefeweizen - German "white" beer brewed with wheat instead of malted barley. Next to no bitterness and usually has tones of banana and cloves.

(I did originally consider making this post a separate thread in the off-topic section, but figured it probably wouldn't gather enough interest. However i'm always up for talking about beer so if anyone wants to move this there or start their own thread, i'd be fine with that!)

It sounds like you are enjoying your beer DZ. I’m self isolating as my wife is shielding, so everything has to be Ordered online and delivered. Fortunately Brewdog are tending to my imbibing needs, so I’ve been trying various different selections including hazy Jane, punk, clockwork tangerine, Elvis juice, lost lager, dead pony club, session IPA and American pale ale. I think my favourite is the Elvis juice, it’s a grapefruit infused ale, but I’m also enjoying the lost lager as the hot weather continues, it’s s good, hoppy pilsner that goes down beautifully on a hot afternoon. 

7 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It sounds like you are enjoying your beer DZ. I’m self isolating as my wife is shielding, so everything has to be Ordered online and delivered. Fortunately Brewdog are tending to my imbibing needs, so I’ve been trying various different selections including hazy Jane, punk, clockwork tangerine, Elvis juice, lost lager, dead pony club, session IPA and American pale ale. I think my favourite is the Elvis juice, it’s a grapefruit infused ale, but I’m also enjoying the lost lager as the hot weather continues, it’s s good, hoppy pilsner that goes down beautifully on a hot afternoon. 

I used to openly scoff at BrewDog and their crazy, attention seeking names for their beers up until the start of last year when I finally caved and tried a Punk IPA. It was a lot better than I was expecting and now i'm a BrewDog fan, although I prefer their darker beers (which they're not as well known for.)

I also used to recoil in horror at the thought of paying anything more than a couple of quid for a beer, now I'm semi regularly spending upwards of a tenner for one 275ml bottle of something if it's high ABV or something I can't get hold of in supermarkets.

I'm a big fan of Welsh brewery Tiny Rebel, in particular their Stay Puft range of marshmallow porters. Can't get them in the supermarkets though sadly!

24 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I've been drinking McEwan's Champion 7.3%....Strong but quite tasty

4 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Judging by their actions, our government are very much experimenting with the idea of herd immunity too.

As for American Police, when you have the POTUS going on TV and saying "When the looting starts, the shooting starts" without a single trace of irony, are you honestly surprised?

JUST IN: POTUS claims he was being sarcastic 😒

20 minutes ago, HoyteForLeftBack said:

I think the real question regarding the ale should be; are you keeping it in the fridge, putting it the fridge just to get it down to cellar temp, or drinking it at room temperature?

I drink stout/porters at the equivalent of cellar temperature, basically I store them in the fridge and then remove and leave them out at room temperature for about an hour before drinking. When a stout "warms up" all the flavours really come through.

DIPAs and NEIPAs I keep in the fridge until drinking but I spend the first 10 minutes after opening just smelling them and getting all the different aromas. The type of glassware you use really makes a difference. I tend to use a tulip glass for DIPAs/NEIPAs and a snifter glass for stouts/porters (you hold a snifter glass with beer in it the same way you would a snifter glass of brandy, so your hand helps to warm it up. Conversely, a tulip glass has a stem so you do the opposite!)

Yes, I'm a beer nerd and I also log all my beers on Untapped, lol

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I drink stout/porters at the equivalent of cellar temperature, basically I store them in the fridge and then remove and leave them out at room temperature for about an hour before drinking. When a stout "warms up" all the flavours really come through.

DIPAs and NEIPAs I keep in the fridge until drinking but I spend the first 10 minutes after opening just smelling them and getting all the different aromas. The type of glassware you use really makes a difference. I tend to use a tulip glass for DIPAs/NEIPAs and a snifter glass for stouts/porters (you hold a snifter glass with beer in it the same way you would a snifter glass of brandy, so your hand helps to warm it up. Conversely, a tulip glass has a stem so you do the opposite!)

Yes, I'm a beer nerd and I also log all my beers on Untapped, lol

I thought i was the only saddo who logged all their beers on Untapped. Until lockdown I was averaging over 1 new beer per day since last summer Last weeks special was a 3 litre bag of Black Godess Oak Aged Porter from the Maenwood Brewery which is ran by two Boro exiles.

IMG-20200515-WA0001.jpg

2 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

I used to openly scoff at BrewDog and their crazy, attention seeking names for their beers up until the start of last year when I finally caved and tried a Punk IPA. It was a lot better than I was expecting and now i'm a BrewDog fan, although I prefer their darker beers (which they're not as well known for.)

I also used to recoil in horror at the thought of paying anything more than a couple of quid for a beer, now I'm semi regularly spending upwards of a tenner for one 275ml bottle of something if it's high ABV or something I can't get hold of in supermarkets.

I'm a big fan of Welsh brewery Tiny Rebel, in particular their Stay Puft range of marshmallow porters. Can't get them in the supermarkets though sadly!

Brewdog is just the handiest at the moment, free delivery on a 48 can case, quite a few different mixed cases to chose from and around £1 per can, it’s pretty good value. In normal times I tend to drink locally brewed craft beers from various Brighton breweries paddle board and source being two of my favourites. 

34 minutes ago, oldman said:

I thought i was the only saddo who logged all their beers on Untapped. Until lockdown I was averaging over 1 new beer per day since last summer Last weeks special was a 3 litre bag of Black Godess Oak Aged Porter from the Maenwood Brewery which is ran by two Boro exiles.

IMG-20200515-WA0001.jpg

I had Pilgrim the year before last at a beer festival and really enjoyed it, was before I was even aware of the existence of NEIPAs. I'd like to try their Milkshake IPA, Doodadeladedad sometime.

Speaking of breweries ran by Boro fans, when did Truefitt close down? They did a decent stout, called Ironopolis.

Though they also did a Red Ale called Holgate which was horrible, lol

• Like 1

Ah to all you fellow beer neerds, cheers

Your Tesco selection sounds amazing @Denzel Zanzibar, I haven't seen that over here in Ireland at all. Just boring old ***. Currently at 2477 unique on my untappd, same username as here. I've been ordering direct from breweries, not having anything particularly new, just going for the old favourites. Mostly Whiplash and White Hag, primarily NEIPA or DNEIPA. I'm a huge fan of barrel aged imp stouts though this is not really the weather for them! Evil Twin (the jesus series) is pretty good, though my favourites would probably be by Epic (big bad baptist series) or Prairie, with a lot of love for BA ten fiddy (oskar blues) and even goose island babcs or founders kbs/cbs (rip). 

29 minutes ago, boroie said:

Ah to all you fellow beer neerds, cheers

Your Tesco selection sounds amazing @Denzel Zanzibar, I haven't seen that over here in Ireland at all. Just boring old ***. Currently at 2477 unique on my untappd, same username as here. I've been ordering direct from breweries, not having anything particularly new, just going for the old favourites. Mostly Whiplash and White Hag, primarily NEIPA or DNEIPA. I'm a huge fan of barrel aged imp stouts though this is not really the weather for them! Evil Twin (the jesus series) is pretty good, though my favourites would probably be by Epic (big bad baptist series) or Prairie, with a lot of love for BA ten fiddy (oskar blues) and even goose island babcs or founders kbs/cbs (rip). 

Mind if I add you to my friends list? I've only got a mere 129 beers logged as I stopped logging beers for a while ha.

My favourite style of beer is still definitely impy stout, just with the warm weather lately I've been trying out more suitable styles and liking them quite a bit. 

Tesco really surprised me with their selection, how they're managing to sell some of these 440ml cans at £3-£3.50 and still make a profit I have no idea.

Maybe I should have started a new thread after all, lol.

• Like 1